Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2009, 18:57   #16

Boat: Endeavour 42

We need to replace the 25 yo cushions on our boat. The closed cell foam seems to be in good shape, still firm and largely unstained. JSI gave us a quote to do the whole job which was pretty pricy. They strongly recommended that, given the age of the foam, we should replace it as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on the life span of closed cell foam, the feasability of cleaning it, etc. Thanx! Cptn. Happy
Old 30-06-2009, 21:44   #17

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
I'll just follow up with one comment - if you are living aboard get the best foam you can afford. Settees are your only sitting area (say compared to a house with sofas, lounging chairs, dining room chairs etc). Our original upholstery lasted about 2 years before we needed to replace it. The foam lasted a bit longer and it was good stuff.

If you don't live aboard then splurging on fabrics and foams isn't required - they simply don't get much wear from a typical sailor
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:02   #18

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Filtering through the Sales Stuff?

I appreciate the the statements like get the best, high quality and such. My problem is filtering through the marketing crap and know what the parameters of High quality REALLY are. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to that point and so I think that actual product names of proven product that people are happy with would be the most helpful.
I'm looking for comfort and longevity (like most people I bet).

Can anyone supply any actual material model numbers?

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:45   #19

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Seriously, you won't go wrong with sailrite. This foam I purchased last year, but have not used it yet. It is excellent for settee cushions.
Dry Fast Foam Open Cell 2" Thick 48" x 72"

For a sleeping surface just add 2 inches of memory foam to the top. Make sure its breathable.
For my money, Ultraleather Brissa solie is for me. Just havene't purchased it yet. As Paul said, its breathable, resists mildew, cleanable, and looks great.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:48   #20

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
You are going to spend a lot of money on just fabric and foam. The mistakes are very expensive. A Pro probably won't make any but if they do they will be on the hook not you.

If you wanted to try it just buy some dirt cheap foam and make a square cushion of a specific predetermined size and see how exact you can get. You need a zipper so you can stuff it with the precut foam. After you make a few you may be good enough but don't learn with the real materials. It's not as easy as it may first appear to layout and cut with very little waste.
My thoughts exactly. On another fourm (or maybe it was here, I forget) I saw some who did their own bimini. The end result was ... suitable. A bit saggy; you could see it bunched up in some areas. I certainly would not hire them but it should keep the sun and off their heads.

I suppose it depends on what you want. If mediocre is good enough, DIY is often the way to go (as long as you aren't buying a sewing machine for the project). If it isn't, find a good tradesperson.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:08   #21

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
A lot of really good info here, so what would be a good fabric choice for the breathable bottoms? also how does the faux leather feel on bare legs in a warm climate? do you stick to it like real leather in a car in the summer, i tend to prefer fabric in my cars for this reason but i sure like the look of the faux leathers.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote