I'm in the process of really fixing up an S2 I bought last year and I was wondering if I could pick your brains for some thoughts on supplies before I start ordering parts
I took down the mast
and I'm replacing all the wiring
and lights in it. I had the brilliant idea of using a 100ft extension cord from Lowes to run my electrical
up the mast
. Luckily it got caught and I gave up and while searching around online I found that I needed to get tinned copper wire.
1. I plan on ordering this stuff for the mast wiring
16/2 AWG Marine
2. I had to replace my batteries. West Marine
had starting batteries on sale
and they were half the price
of deep cycle batteries, so I'm running everything on the boat with starting batteries. Will I end up regretting that later? I don't plan on draining the batteries to less than 1/3 charge before they are hooked back up to shore power
. The only thing I use underway is depth
finder and nav lights at night.
3. I'm going to replace my halyard/sheets. I think I've got 3/8" halyard
and 1/2" jib sheets
right now. I planned on using this:
XLS Solid Color Yacht Braid - Red - 3/8 inch
for everything. Is that a decent rope
at a decent price
4. Are steaming/masthead lights fairly universal? Would you recommend anything from this page:
Steaming / Spreader / Deck Lights - The Binnacle: Your Complete Online Marine Store
5. My old steaming light is riveted to the mast. When I change it out, there will be holes in the mast. How should I seal those holes?
Thanks for any advice.