Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2019, 14:07   #16

Boat: 73 Cruisers Inc Marlin 23
Re: update on my 1973 boat restoration

i have not given up on the old boat, just had to put it to sleep for the winter. i have not yet woken it from it's slumber, as i am a bit timid to find out what the winter did to it. weather depending, i hope to unwrap it from the tarp this weekend.
i did drain the engine block of water, though i forgot to fog the cylinders. i thought afterward i should have flushed the engine block with RV antifreeze. so i hope there wasn't any trapped pockets of water in the block.
my goals for this year are to save up for some exhaust headers. that way i can run the engine, without flames shooting out the cracks in the old headers.
but it all hinges on how the boat survived the winter.

~Travis
Old 18-05-2019, 09:00   #17

checked out my old boat, and the engine survived the winter! after checking the oil (it had some, no water, but needs a change), i supplied a battery, and some gas, and was surprised at how easily it fired up!
still a lot to do on it, but the fact it survived the winter is massive inspiration.
I thought i would do a First-Start YouTube video, but it started so easily, i forgot to grab my camera. oh well.

~Travis
Old 08-06-2019, 03:34   #18

so, i picked up some used outdrives to piece together and replace the corrosion-locked outdrive that came with my boat (soaking it in marvel mystery oil couldn't save it. too far gone.), as well as the transom portion of the drive (mine is just as corroded as the outdrive). and the drives have the Tru Course steering (mine does not), so i can get rid of the external steering cable, and block off the transom holes.
in order to change out the transom unit, i will likely have to un-bolt the engine from the boat and slide it forward as far as i can to get access to the transom unit.
I also picked up an alternator, though it is correct for the engine, the bracket on the block was incorrect, so it is not installed yet. i ordered a replacement bracket, but i didn't research it right, and it is incorrect for the block. probably Ford vs my Chevy engine. i may just alter it slightly to make it fit, somehow.

so progress is being made. a few setbacks, but that just adds to the story of the boat.

~Travis
Old 08-06-2019, 14:01   #19

Finally managed to remove the transom unit of my outdrive. several nuts, and only one i could get a ratchet onto. the rest were with an open-end wrench, fractions of a turn all the way. then there was one nut... there is always one. i spent 2 hours on an invisible nut, and donated plenty of blood to the cause, but i finally got it!
so tomorrow i will work at preparing and installing the better unit. then it is a matter of working on the outdrive itself, and wiring the tilt motor and solenoids back up.

if and when my tax return ever comes in, i will then buy some riser exhaust manifolds, and install and plumb those in.

~Travis
Old 09-06-2019, 12:05   #20

Today, while i was preparing the transom unit, i happened to think, maybe i should check the tilt motor and gears. sure enough, corrosion seized. so i pulled it all apart, and it looks like i need to invest in a parts washer, and new clutch plates. i got the motor itself freed up, so all i have to worry about is if it will all go together, and still keep water out. perhaps i should invest in a really good bilge pump.

assuming all goes well, i will then take a good look at the outdrive itself. things are looking up. very slow going, but it is progress.

~Travis
Old 04-07-2019, 04:05   #21

well, the transom unit tilt assembly failed, and died, when i noticed a missing seal, and a crack in the aluminum casting. so i have purchased a replacement that was only used in freshwater. as a bonus, it also includes power-steering. so i wait for that to arrive.
to install it though, i will have to pull the engine to make it easier to swap out components. i will be building a hoist system to hopefully aid in such a task. at least the engine is simple enough to pull. just a few wires, throttle cable, and it can come out.
kinda makes me wish i had somebody to give me a hand with the task, but my one friend said he was busy then (i never told him when...), and my father doesn't want anything to do with it. good to know i have dependable people in my life.

~Travis
Old 14-07-2019, 07:28   #22

i pulled the engine yesterday. the scary looking hoist system worked well, though the steel wheels on the wooden beam didn't perform very well. they kinda sank into the wood a little, and made it harder to move the hoist trolley than i figured for. but it did work.
The transom unit is due to arrive sometime this week, so i will hopefully get to install it this coming weekend, weather and plans dependent.when removing the wires, i simply cut them to maintain color-coding, and i found some self-sealing, self soldering splice connectors that i think i will try, for reconnecting.
i may, at some point buy a replacement bilge pump, as it will be easier to replace the non-working one with the engine out (it is mounted under the engine).
i am pretty sure the transom unit is not coming with a power-steering pump, so i will also have to source one out, and i still need to properly connect the alternator, which i believe attaches to the power-steering pump bracket.
i am really pleased with the performance of my hoist system, and i look forward to using it to put the motor back in, as it is sure to be a real back saver. my engine-leveler though is of fairly poor design. the crank handle is threaded, with a jam nut against it. i think i may work on it a bit to keep the jam nut tight, perhaps with some safety wire. when it loosens up, it locks onto the leveler frame, and is too tight to crank.

~Travis

Tags
boat, restoration