Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 15:54   #1

Boat: C&C 27
Unusual Resin Smell

I was on a boat the other day and it had the smell of resin curing. The owner assured me that this was just the way the boat smelled. Since cured resin should be inert I'm puzzled. Any ideas would be appreciated.

pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 17:00   #2

Boat: Morgan OI 414
I went on a newer Mcgreger 26 power boat/combination sailboat and it had a strong smell of resin, it wasn't one of those was it?
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 22:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Are we talking Epoxy of Ester. Ester resins stink and will continue to do so for sometime. Epoxy can certainly have a smell, but not offensive in anyway. Gelcoats and flow coats are Ester based and so will smell very strongly. What about paint. Has the hull been painted??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:33   #4

FLowcoat can stink for years. If the boat has been shut up with no ventilation it's pretty likely to have some kind of smell.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:56   #5

The boat is another mid '70s C&C. It has not been repainted but it has been closed up. I"m thinking that at some point a previous owner may have tried to drill and fill a wet core and the resin never completly cured.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:41   #6

Boat: Beneteau 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida
The boat is another mid '70s C&C. It has not been repainted but it has been closed up. I"m thinking that at some point a previous owner may have tried to drill and fill a wet core and the resin never completly cured.
\

Most C&C's ahave cored hulls and decks. That might be the case but still it is rare to fill the core voids with something other than epoxy. If its early '70s it might not have cored hull. Earli Redline 41s were not cored hulls. Beautiful boats !!!!!!!
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:47   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Can you you describe the particular characteristics of the odour?

Sorry for the challenge.
Our taste buds provide only four distinct sensations: sweet, salty, sour, and bitter, but the average person can recognize up to 10,000 separate odours. Unfortunately, we don’t have an adequate vocabulary to consistently describe these many odours.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:08   #8

Sorry I can't gie a more detailed description of the odor. All I can say is that while I was in the food business years ago i spent a lot of time laying up polyester resin glass tanks used in fermentation. And it smelled like curing polyester.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:51   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Polyester will always smell. Even from the 70's. But if a hole has been drilled somewhere, it will smell even stronger for awhile. As soon as you cut or drill the stuff, it gives off that smell. It won't be "non-cured" resin. The big difference with ester resins is that they don't need a catylist to cure. Ester's begin curing from the day they pout out of the machine that makes them. But it is a very slow cure rate. The catylist speeds up the cure rate to something that is workable for us. But leave a tin of ester resin on the shelf in the workshed for 12mths and it will be solid. So a hull from the 70's will be well and truely cured, even if the catylist didn't get mixed in a batch very well.
Oh and as for odour, I find that Polyester smell seems to sit in the back of your throat afterwards.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote