Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-05-2016, 09:15   #31

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: Unsuccesfull windows. What to do?

I have 2 main cabin windows to replace at the end of the year...41"X9"s. I was going to use silicone but now I'm thinking about the 3M VHB tape. I googled it and found a few different types...5952, 4646, 4910, 4905 and so on. How or where do I find out which one to use?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:21   #32
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo de leo View Post
Guys, all sugestions are really great! Thanks all! I never thought there would be Dow Corning in Brasil cause nobody uses in marine. But for my surprise, they have a big business here!
My old (20+ years) and biggest front window was screwed as and has sikaflex, works very fair and were done like Pauls said.
But the new ones, were installed with no screws like I previously describe. The problem, after hear from all, I think is the lack of space for the expansion to occur, like Barnakiel said.
As I'm not with the "stomach" to do it all again, I'm thinking in build "roof extension" to force the water drops away of the acrylic face.
What do you guys think? Picture attached..
TKS!!!
I think most of us will say that you must man up, drink some caipirinhas, then tackle this job and do it right

First we need to understand this: did the window separate from the 3M double sided tape, or is it just the sealant bond that broke?

p.s. to stop the leaking now, just use some duct tape

Old 20-05-2016, 09:27   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Question:

When using 3M VHB tape, do you see it through the plastic ? or, is the plastic coated (painted) first ? If coated, inside, or outside ?

Thanks,
JM.
I saw the post by Mitiempo with the sugestion to paint the acrylic as the VHB tape would stick to the paint better than the acrylic. I would not dispute this, but then you are relying on two adhesions - the VHB to the paint and the paint to the acrylic. I followed the recommendation to apply the VHB tape to a sanded margin of the acrylic after wiping the sanded acrylic with isopropyl alcohol. The sanded acrylic may be viewed from the outside as slightly different from the transparent view through the portlight lumen, but you would not see the tape.
Old 20-05-2016, 09:31   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We have a Jeanneau DS40 and had a couple of windows leak on our Atlantic crossing. In Horta we pulled all the windows and used Sikaflex but unfortunately they did not have the uv kind.

We did discuss with Jeanneau before we affected the repair and they recommended Sikaflex UV.

There was a bit of an issue over 3 years later - this year - and we pulled all the windows and found not enough Sikaflex was used in some areas. This year we used Simmons and did not mince on the amount.

Hope this helps
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:37   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have 2 main cabin windows to replace at the end of the year...41"X9"s. I was going to use silicone but now I'm thinking about the 3M VHB tape. I googled it and found a few different types...5952, 4646, 4910, 4905 and so on. How or where do I find out which one to use?
I used the 1" width 3M VHB 4991 which is 2.3 mm thick. Both Sail Magazine and WoodenBoat Magazine have instructional articles about this refit.
Old 20-05-2016, 09:50   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo de leo View Post
Guys, all sugestions are really great! Thanks all! I never thought there would be Dow Corning in Brasil cause nobody uses in marine. But for my surprise, they have a big business here!
My old (20+ years) and biggest front window was screwed as and has sikaflex, works very fair and were done like Pauls said.
But the new ones, were installed with no screws like I previously describe. The problem, after hear from all, I think is the lack of space for the expansion to occur, like Barnakiel said.
As I'm not with the "stomach" to do it all again, I'm thinking in build "roof extension" to force the water drops away of the acrylic face.
What do you guys think? Picture attached..
TKS!!!
The "roof" extension seems like a big project compared to the actual need.
I should mention that I had a small leak at the top of one of my VHB bonded portlights too. After finishing my portlights and all was well sealed, I stripped the sealant around my portlights for a new paint application and then resealed again with the same Dow 791. I did notice a drip after a rain and closely inspected the reapplied sealant. I did have a need to clean, isopropyl wipe, and reapply the 791 over this area and found that it is now no longer leaking. Before considering the new cover, be sure to attempt a careful reapplication of sealant if you have not already done so.
Old 20-05-2016, 10:21   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I used the 1" width 3M VHB 4991 which is 2.3 mm thick. Both Sail Magazine and WoodenBoat Magazine have instructional articles about this refit.
I was just wondering what the actual differences are between the different numbers.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Old 20-05-2016, 10:25   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I was just wondering what the actual differences are between the different numbers.
I don't know! I was overwhelmed with the numbers too and there was no guide that I was able to find. I was just pleased to find resources that recommended the number for my specific application.
Old 20-05-2016, 10:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I don't know! I was overwhelmed with the numbers too and there was no guide that I was able to find. I was just pleased to find resources that recommended the number for my specific application.
Thanks for the reply...I will delve into the Internet and 3m, see what I come up with and report back. I would love nothing more than to stop dicking around with gooey sealants.

Old 20-05-2016, 22:02   #40

Boat: Nestor Volker 38' One Off Pilot House wood/glass fiber veneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I think most of us will say that you must man up, drink some caipirinhas, then tackle this job and do it right

First we need to understand this: did the window separate from the 3M double sided tape, or is it just the sealant bond that broke?

p.s. to stop the leaking now, just use some duct tape
Caipirinha=headache kkkkk
3M tape isOK
Seal is the problem
Old 20-05-2016, 22:10   #41

Quote:
I used the tape that says its for Advertising purposes...
They have large width rolls and the store cut it the width I wanted.
There's one particular tape that is for plastics with high expansion rates, its more foammy". I would look for that if was to rebuild mines.
Old 20-05-2016, 22:18   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We have a Jeanneau DS40 and had a couple of windows leak on our Atlantic crossing. In Horta we pulled all the windows and used Sikaflex but unfortunately they did not have the uv kind.

We did discuss with Jeanneau before we affected the repair and they recommended Sikaflex UV.

There was a bit of an issue over 3 years later - this year - and we pulled all the windows and found not enough Sikaflex was used in some areas. This year we used Simmons and did not mince on the amount.

Hope this helps
Hello! Tks for sharing. What material is your Windows and what thickness?

Tks!
Old 20-05-2016, 22:36   #43

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
I believe different manufacturer's product numbers for different products.

Last time I was chasing 3M VHB Tape I recall different product numbers for different tape widths. Futhermore, I believe the standard length is about 1,5 meters (less than 2m for sure as opposed to competition) but they do offer rolls up to 30m if I recall correct. They also have a tape that looks similar but it does not have the "VHB" emblem on it and I don't know if it's better or worse for our purpose, and has different product number of course.

Does anyone know if the 3M VHB Tape comes in various THICKNESSES or are the thicknesses all same and standard?
Old 21-05-2016, 01:05   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

VHB tape comes in different thicknesses.

3M™ VHB™ Tape
Old 21-05-2016, 01:18   #45

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
VHB tape comes in different thicknesses.

3M™ VHB™ Tape

That's great, thank you Mitiempo
Looks like more info on 3M site than last time I looked. My internet now so slow it took 3 minutes to dl that page (no chance about video hehe) but I will try to read more there.
Cheers

Tags
wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: