Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 02:19   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31
Universal Atomic Diesel

I live in the UK, I have a Southern Cross (possibly the only one in the UK) The engine is a Universal Atomic Diesel (again possibly the only one in the UK) I am at present overhauling it, parts are difficult to get, I did get a new water pump, that came from a mini digger engine, (they use the same pump) I can get the bearing shells, the thing I am struggling with is the cylinder head gasket, any ideas. I know I could make one out of some copper sheeting, but that is an awful lot of work, and I would sooner get the right thing.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 03:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Universal Atomic Diesel

Universal Atomic 4 - Westerbeke

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 04:00   #3

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Hey Gord that is the gas atomic four. I think he might have the Universal M4-30. It was billed as the atomic 4 direct replacement as it had very similar engine footings ECT. Check out the link and see if that's your engine.

https://www.westerbeke.com/Category/...F76D?#techdocs
Old 21-02-2017, 04:45   #4

Boat: Columbia 36

If its the M4-30 it's a Kubota Y850 block which as far as I can tell was never used in tractors or other equipment. Check the dipstick for a number, or on the block under the injection pump for the Kubota number. The one on the block will be heavily painted over, Universal didn't want you to find it. V1201 or V1501 are tractor engines and parts can be gotten online or through Kubota for 1/10 to 1/4 the cost for the same exact parts. If its the Y850 you're stuck with Universal which is now Westerbeke and they're crooks. It couldn't hurt to bring the old head gasket in to your local Kubota dealer and see if they can match it, they may have done this before.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 04:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
Hey Gord that is the gas atomic four. I think he might have the Universal M4-30. It was billed as the atomic 4 direct replacement as it had very similar engine footings ECT. Check out the link and see if that's your engine.

https://www.westerbeke.com/Category/...F76D?#techdocs
Right you are. Thanks!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 04:58   #6

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Right you are. Thanks!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes!
Old 21-02-2017, 05:13   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

However if you make that gasket out of sheet copper, you will never need another one.
If I did that and if I had the engine block in the machine shop I would be tempted to O ring the cylinders. A small groove cut into the top of the cylinders that you tap .020 copper wire into.
I used to do that to turbo drag bikes many years ago and never blew a head gasket again.
If you do go with a copper gasket or even sheet steel, this stuff is the best there is
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&no...sl_byc1sdhbf_b
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 05:37   #8
Marine Service Provider

There were a number of engines that Universal marinised that they called atomic diesel. Which one do you have?
2 cyl or 3 cyl or 4 cylinder?
Unless you provide some concrete information, I can't help you.
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 06:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
If its the M4-30 it's a Kubota Y850 block which as far as I can tell was never used in tractors or other equipment. Check the dipstick for a number, or on the block under the injection pump for the Kubota number. The one on the block will be heavily painted over, Universal didn't want you to find it. V1201 or V1501 are tractor engines and parts can be gotten online or through Kubota for 1/10 to 1/4 the cost for the same exact parts. If its the Y850 you're stuck with Universal which is now Westerbeke and they're crooks. It couldn't hurt to bring the old head gasket in to your local Kubota dealer and see if they can match it, they may have done this before.
Its a 5416 two cylinder 16 horse and the new water pump came from kubota
Old 21-02-2017, 06:07   #10
Marine Service Provider

2 cylinder 16 hp
Old 21-02-2017, 06:10   #11
Marine Service Provider

Thats an amazing idea my friend has a machine shop with lathes and milling machines but what do you use to cut the groives
Old 21-02-2017, 06:19   #12

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantical View Post
2 cylinder 16 hp
Way better. That's a Z751 engine from an L185 tractor. Don't know if parts are still available for that but search those numbers and you'll find what is available. Local tractor shop needs the tractor number which you now have. A lot of parts are used in several different models.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 06:37   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantical View Post
Thats an amazing idea my friend has a machine shop with lathes and milling machines but what do you use to cut the groives

A boring bar is what I used, did it after boring the cylinders. We had head gasket problems on the old Kawaskai 900 motor when we went above about 20 lbs boost

You can find anything on Youtube it seems, here is someone doing it on a car block

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel