Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 13:53   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Ultrasonic Antifouling Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cruiser View Post
As a former tenured Economics Professor @ a major university the market (cruisers willing to spend $) is too small IMHO to justify such a study & expense.
If I'm one of these manufacturers and I'm confident of the outcome of a study, I'd buy a couple of old 20'-25' sailboats, paint them with a commonly used and effective anti fouling paint, put the ultrasonic system in one and then plop them both in adjacent slips in a region where boats live in the water 24/7/365 and hull fouling is an honest-to-god issue (like Florida or California.) Put a diver with a camera into the water on a regular basis and record the results. How difficult or expensive would that be?

Of course, if I'm not confident of the results... Well, I guess that's where we're at right now, isn't it?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 14:52   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Now what possible reason would the manufacturers have for not producing a study that shows how well their systems work? Hmm...

See here's is the problem. You assume they don't work and I just don't know and am wiling to be convinced.

I thought that Practical sailor was going to do a comparison (not that I believe a lot of their "tests"). Anyone seen it yet (I stopped getting it)?
Old 22-03-2012, 16:07   #18

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

I found an article in Yachting Monthly (a Brit pub I believe) were the writer did a basic comparison, last year paint only and this year paint and ultrasonic. His conclusion was a bit mixed at best. First of all, the thing draws a substantial amount of power, his single unit drew 16A every 24 hours (it needs to be on apparently about 15 hours a day). For him, an issue when leaving the boat for any time. He still had growth, but it seemed a bit less and washed off easier. His conclusion was that it did help the bottom paint to be more effective, but was not sure it was really worth it. You can google (ultrsonic antifouling) and find the article pretty easily. At this point, it certainly is ot a replacement for paint.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 16:08   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
See here's is the problem. You assume they don't work and I just don't know and am wiling to be convinced.
Yes. It's called being a skeptic.
Old 23-03-2012, 07:40   #20

Boat: kelt 8.5

I have installed an am using an ultrasonic system on my sail boat. The system has been on for 11 months and seems to work just fine. I have canceled the diver who cleans the bottom several times and may no longer need him at all. The running gear has stayed very clean just an odd critter now and then. I moved to a harder bottom paint and expect to get about 30 months out of the bottom paint vs only 18 prior. I have 2 transducers one at the bow end and one over the running gear. I am using the system from CleanAboat which seemed to have the best engineering and continue to improve their product. The installation was a breeze and other than waiting for the epoxy to dry to only about a total of an hour.

Mike
realem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 07:42   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by realem View Post
I have installed an am using an ultrasonic system on my sail boat. The system has been on for 11 months and seems to work just fine. I have canceled the diver who cleans the bottom several times and may no longer need him at all. The running gear has stayed very clean just an odd critter now and then. I moved to a harder bottom paint and expect to get about 30 months out of the bottom paint vs only 18 prior. I have 2 transducers one at the bow end and one over the running gear. I am using the system from CleanAboat which seemed to have the best engineering and continue to improve their product. The installation was a breeze and other than waiting for the epoxy to dry to only about a total of an hour.
Where does the boat live?
Old 23-03-2012, 07:44   #22

PS
My boat is in the water 24/7 12 months a year. It is florida water and it is warm and growth usually starts immediately. My units draw 400 miliamps and I leave it on all the time. No battery issues at all. Even my knot meter works now

Mike
Old 23-03-2012, 07:47   #23
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, as they say on the interwebs, "Pix, or it didn't happen!"
Old 23-03-2012, 08:06   #24
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Well, as they say on the interwebs, "Pix, or it didn't happen!"
Do they say that? And all this time I have been content to read the words that come from the mouths of our many and varied sailors here at CF

This product had better not hit Kuwait... bottom cleaning is a nice gig on the side for our commercial divers!! That said, if it works, and a solar panel could keep it working, then it will make a huge difference. Here we need to clean our bottom once a month if we want to race effectively... And at least every three months if we want the propeller to do anything useful!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 08:26   #25
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Do they say that? And all this time I have been content to read the words that come from the mouths of our many and varied sailors here at CF
Well, when guy comes here, posts a total of three times and every one of them is claiming he has the magic bullet, I want something more than just his word on it before I buy into it.
Old 23-03-2012, 12:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
This product had better not hit Kuwait... bottom cleaning is a nice gig on the side for our commercial divers!! That said, if it works, and a solar panel could keep it working, then it will make a huge difference. Here we need to clean our bottom once a month if we want to race effectively... And at least every three months if we want the propeller to do anything useful!
These British guys http://www.nrgmarine.com/ did a bunch of installations on boats in Dubai... Maybe you'll see some of these boats (Testimonials page) up north and could ask them?

... not sure how easy it is to move from country to country in the Persian Gulf...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 12:51   #27

I have two solar panels that keep the batteries topped off and run everything when out at sea or anchor. I have fridges that need the power. The test for me was having the knot meter paddles clear all the time as they are always the first to clog up.
If you go to CleanAboat web site you will see video for those who doubt. My running gear used to foul in about 2 months but now seems always clean.
Mike
Old 23-03-2012, 12:52   #28

In 2009 I did a study using three panels (2ft square) - 1. was fiberglass - no paint, 2 was fiberglass with abrading bottom paint (two coats), 3 was west systems epoxy with copper dust (two coats) - I left them in a warm estuary in Oakland Ca (alameda estuary) for a three month period. fiberglass was completely coated with barnacles and friends 2" deep., abrading paint was in need of cleaning, epoxy/copper was slimy only (this copper treatment may be becoming illegal in Calif soon).
I will order one of these electronic units and do this same test (adding the electronic panel). If you'd like to see the results pm me and I'll send you a link to a results page (before the test starts) - I'll have the results posted on one-month intervals along with the local water temp and salinity.
Only pm respondents will get the link. No charge - just don't want to hijack the forum..
bluetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 12:55   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I am left wondering if it is so successful then why is it not in common use?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 12:58   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetriguy View Post
Only pm respondents will get the link. No charge - just don't want to hijack the forum..
Why? ?

Tags
anti-fouling, bottom paint