Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-07-2013, 05:41   #76

Re: Ultrasonic Antifouling Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Based on the recent posts regarding how ineffective bottom paint is, I guess electronic systems ARE just as sucessful! BTW: I have a device I sell cheap that keeps elephants away.... I can prove it works because I use it and there are NO elephants in my yard!
That's my thought. I keep my boat in the northern Gulf of Mexico, and used to keep it in southern Florida and I really wonder how much more ineffective any system could be than the bottom paint that is available now.

If it weren't for divers willing to scrape our hulls at a reasonable price, I don't what we would do. And, I've about decided that divers looking to make a little side money are the most reasonable anti-fouling system there is.

Old 17-07-2013, 00:29   #77

Boat: GibSea 402

I accept what you are saying however I am not basing my comments on what manufactures are saying or even trying to look at the mechanics of it all. I am making my comments on actual use, not theory. Does the product work for me? Its not perfect but yes it does.

Old 17-07-2013, 04:47   #78

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhitburn View Post
Like some others on this subject I don't feel its a complete solution as youstill have to change anodes etc. but if it halves my haul out costs I am happy.
That pretty much sums up the experience of 3 of my friends here in Hong Kong who've installed ultrasonics. They're happy, but it's kind of a 3 legged stool which needs good antifoul paint, ultrasonic antifoul, and divers. The general objective is to lengthen the intervals between painting and divers.

I coppercoated my boat last year and have just installed the ultrasonics. The coppercoat is quite good in that between a diver and the hard anti foul the cost savings on purchasing & applying ablative paint are going to work out over a 2 year window. I'm hoping the ultrasonics have a similar payback in terms of reducing the number of diver days per year.

My goal wasn't to reduce my annual antifouling bill from X to X/2, but rather to make sure that the hull is always as clean as reasonably possible. Anyway, today is DAY 1 with the ultrasonic.....
Old 17-07-2013, 06:19   #79
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Are any of your friends using Coppercoat?

How often have you had the hull cleaned in the past and what do you anticipate the frequency will be going forward?
Old 18-07-2013, 04:29   #80

I have Coppercoat on the catamaran and International (ablative) on the Hatteras. The powerboat is on the dock and the sailboat is moored about 500 meters away. I get them both cleaned by divers regularly. If it goes well I plan to install the ultrasonic on the powerboat.

But to answer your question about my friends: Of the three boats using the ultrasonics: One is Coppercoated, one has a hard antifoul and the last is an ablative. The boat which is Coppercoated seems to fare the best, though the other two are pretty good. My sailboat is now coppercoated and fitted with ultrasonic.

I reckon we'll probably dive on the sailboat pretty much as before, BUT, based upon the other boats I expect it'll be more to do a quick wipe the slime off than to scrape barnacles. Ideally more frequent dives of shorter duration.

Right now the divers do both boats monthly. I don't expect I'll spend less on divers for the sailboat - hopefully they can do shorter dives more frequently and keep the hull that extra bit cleaner.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:47   #81
Marine Service Provider

Good to hear that the combination of Coppercoat and Ultrasonic seems to be working for you.

I know the chaps at NRG Marine, a manufacturer and supplier of one of the ultrasonic systems currently available. They are based in the UK and Dubai and most of their sales are in these two locations.

The owner of the business has his systems fitted (obviously) to both of his boats, but chose to fit Coppercoat as well. NRG do not claim that their system is in place of an anti-foul coating, but instead they claim that it aids the performance of the chosen coating. Part of the reason why he chose Coppercoat was that he feels the hardness of Coppercoat helps transmit the sonic vibrations better than soft ablative paint would.

There have been tests conducted on some ultrasonic systems by boating magazines here in the UK, and I think it's fair to say the results have been "mixed". The idea has not been dismissed out of hand or ridiculed, and some people are giving it a go. As ever, time will tell. For now I'm happy to keep an open mind on the subject.
Old 07-08-2013, 21:21   #82

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

B.S.!
Old 07-08-2013, 21:56   #83

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
B.S.!
My initial sentiment as well BUT one of my mooring neighbours has had a similiar system on his 28 footer for a couple of years now and finds no apreciable growth on his hull except the waterline,can't seem to keep the bastard barnacles from there.
He has painted his prop with white hard antifoul and it is still as clean as the day he did it. Rudder too.
The system is kept running with his rutland windgen and while he didn't expect all that much from it he said the other day that he is pleasantly surprised.
Possibly there is something to it !!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 22:15   #84
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
He has painted his prop with white hard antifoul...
Not to poke holes in your story, but please identify the "white hard antifoul." No such animal, to my knowledge.
Old 07-08-2013, 22:28   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Not to poke holes in your story, but please identify the "white hard antifoul." No such animal, to my knowledge.
International Interspeed is white. Also Trilux Propeller guard has a light grey colour that looks white underwater. A lot of race boats use hard off white anti fouling paint. It makes it easier to see the slime when wiping the hull before a race.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:30   #86
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
International Interspeed is white. Also Trilux Propeller guard has a light grey colour that looks white underwater. A lot of race boats use hard off white anti fouling paint. It makes it easier to see the slime when wiping the hull before a race.
I understand why white paint is used, just have never seen a hard, white paint here in the States. The reason being in this case, I suppose, is that Interspeed Ultra is not available here and Trilux is not a hard paint.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:05   #87

Boat: 1984 hunter 34
One of the guys on my dock had a 38 foot sailboat. It had the white hard bottom paint on it. That stuff was beautiful. But he had a diver cleaning it at least every few weeks. That bright white hull and white bottom paint sure was nice to look at. He was next to us for several years. So I was able to see it often. It always looked clean and shiny
Old 08-08-2013, 08:17   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I understand why white paint is used, just have never seen a hard, white paint here in the States. The reason being in this case, I suppose, is that Interspeed Ultra is not available here and Trilux is not a hard paint.
Well I guess it's a little like a black swan - just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean they don't exist....

Maybe the hard white stuff is banned in California and the boats an import. Or the antifouls an import.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:56   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Vivid is pretty much a hard white paint. It doesn't really ablate and takes sanding and burnishing with cutting compounds very well without loss. The literature claims that when the copper leaches out of it, it will powder off, but that really isn't ablative.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:01   #90
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Vivid is pretty much a hard white paint.
You've never cleaned a Vivid bottom, obviously. Vivid is one of the softest, most easily scrubbed-off paints on the market.

Tags
anti-fouling, bottom paint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: