Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2015, 02:06   #31

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Re: Ultrasonic antifouling

Thanks to most of the responses, a few are not worth the time to read. In Grenada I have not found any using the system. Mostly live a boards diving there boats every few weeks. We are able to use paints that are not available in the U.S. and many other areas though. Cheers
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 07:06   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
We are able to use paints that are not available in the U.S. and many other areas though. Cheers
By that can we assume you mean tributyl tin?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 07:18   #33

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I think he was referring to Micron 77

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 08:30   #34

Ultrasonic antifouling

I use Sea Hawk Island 77 + a tin booster. Still have problems being in the warm water year around.
Old 27-06-2015, 08:40   #35

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I use Sea Hawk Island 77 + a tin booster. Still have problems being in the warm water year around.
Really? Are you sure it wasn't Islands 44? It makes no sense at all to use Islands 77 with the tin booster. They may not even be compatible.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 09:23   #36
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Really? Are you sure it wasn't Islands 44? It makes no sense at all to use Islands 77 with the tin booster. They may not even be compatible.
Tin-based boosters are not compatible with tin-free anti fouling paints. And even if they were, tributyl tin anti fouling products should not be used- period.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 09:32   #37

It might have been the 44. I look at the can each time to get the correct product.
Old 27-06-2015, 09:33   #38

Ultrasonic antifouling

That is the prior used can. Thanks for the correction.
Old 27-10-2015, 23:55   #39

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

For correction, my 35 years in north european waters was that we do have major problems with fouling both weed and barnacles. Antifouling that worked well one year would not work the next with the bottom looking like a shellfish farm. That was in the south UK. We are now in the Med Adriatic and again there are problems requiring a mid season scrape.

There have been tests from reliable sailing mags like Yachting Monthly which indicates that ultrasonic can work. At this years boat show, I talked to a supplier who claims to have a large order from USCG, after successful trials, perhaps some of the US contributors with contacts there could check that out. I understand they are using it to protect sea inlets etc. I have a similar concern to protect my saildrives and keep the water inlets clear and reduce fouling in that area.

Like everything on the commercial marketplace, some stuff ostensibly using the same technology will work better than others either because of the implementation or installation. Thats what this forum is for, we just need people to share real experience.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 13:24   #40

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
There have been tests from reliable sailing mags like Yachting Monthly which indicates that ultrasonic can work. At this years boat show, I talked to a supplier who claims to have a large order from USCG, after successful trials, perhaps some of the US contributors with contacts there could check that out. I understand they are using it to protect sea inlets etc. I have a similar concern to protect my saildrives and keep the water inlets clear and reduce fouling in that area.

Like everything on the commercial marketplace, some stuff ostensibly using the same technology will work better than others either because of the implementation or installation. Thats what this forum is for, we just need people to share real experience.
Ultrasonic Antifouling Test - Yachting Monthly Nothing conclusive here.

Theoretically, there is evidence the technology can work. This from an R&D/Scholarly article...
Abstract Effect of ultrasound on cyprid footprint and juvenile barnacle adhesion on a fouling release material

In our earlier studies, we have demonstrated that low and high intensity ultrasound can prevent barnacle cyprid settlement. In this study, we found that ultrasound treatment reduced the adhesion of newly metamorphosed barnacles up to 2 days’ old. This was observed in the reduction of adhesion strength of the newly settled barnacles from ultrasound treated cyprids on silicone substrate compared to the adhesion strength of barnacles metamorphosed from cyprids not exposed to ultrasound. Atomic force microscopy (AFM) was used to analyze the effect of ultrasound on barnacle cyprid footprints (FPs), which are protein adhesives secreted when the larvae explore surfaces. The ultrasound treated cyprids were found to secrete less FPs, which appeared to spread a larger area than those generated by untreated cyprids. The evidence from this study suggests that ultrasound treatment results in a reduced cyprid settlement and footprint secretion, and may affect the subsequent recruitment of barnacles onto fouling release surfaces by reducing the ability of early settlement stage of barnacles (up to 2 days’ old) from firmly adhering to the substrates. Ultrasound therefore can be used in combination with fouling release coatings to offer a more efficient antifouling strategy."
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 13:27   #41

Looks like more than a few manufacturers offer possible solutions. Antifouling systems - All boating and marine industry manufacturers - Videos
Old 27-12-2015, 13:33   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_L View Post
I installed an Ultrasonic in the spring 2013. It was from a New Zealand manufacture CleanABoat. My conclusion is that it doesn’t work on my boat.

I send some photos to CleaABoat on how I have mounted the transmitter and how the hull looked when I took up the boot, and asked if I hade installed it wrong somehow. I have not received any response.
Did you ever get resolution on this Lars?
Old 27-12-2015, 13:40   #43

Aussie manufacturer site offers good detail and a study by Australian Navy.
Old 27-12-2015, 13:44   #44

[QUOTE=jeffro;1856582]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Hey, it only took them four months to respond to Lars! Now that's some good service.

I was not aware Lars had a problem until I just joined this forum.
I am simply trying to fix his problem.
Hi Jeffro, did you ever get to discover more about the problem? We would all benefit from your experience. Thanks
Old 27-12-2015, 14:10   #45

http://www.sailfeed.com/2012/10/ultr.../#comment-4347