Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 15:09   #226
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
It all boils down to practicality - If the ultrasonic stuff actually worked - and ultrasonic cleaners have been around for decades - and it was effective and cost efficient you would see it on all the cruise liners, container ships, freights, and high end cruising boats. The military would never use the stuff as it would broadcast their ship's position to an "enemy" ship's sonar like a frigging strobe light on a dark night.
- - The fact is, you do not see it being used and instead the horribly expensive old fashioned bottom haul-out, bottom scrubbing and anti-foulant paint is still being used by everybody. Why, paint works and is currently the only viable system. Plain and simple.
- - Vibrating a plastic hull is a waste of time as the nature of resin and fiberglass dampens the vibrations very rapidly. Vibrating a metal hull brings up all kinds of auxilliary problems of welds, attachments and plate fatique. Not to mention the harmonics generated that will probably drive your guard dogs crazy and the humans buggy.
- - It may not be pure "snake-oil" but from a practical and realistic point of view it sure is close.
This.
Old 05-02-2011, 15:23   #227
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
nano barnacles
Old 05-02-2011, 21:04   #228

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
What's the nature of the waveform within pulse itself, sine or square?
Oh, right - next you're gonna want to know the Colonel's secret recipe and the formula for Coke!

John
Old 05-02-2011, 21:10   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
I also read that ultra sound gets rid of mosquitos, rats , mice and cockroaches, dogs and cats.
And none of those systems worked either.
If you can get one mosquito, rat, mouse, etc. out of 100 to turn around and leave, you can legally use the word "effective". Maybe not "effectively controlled" but "was found to be effective".

Where's the link to the product description? I need a good laugh.

John
Old 05-02-2011, 21:15   #230

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
Oh, right - next you're gonna want to know the Colonel's secret recipe and the formula for Coke!

John

Well, it never hurts to ask. I was just trying to save millions on research.
Old 05-02-2011, 21:17   #231

Boat: warwick 44

I have a question, I haven't seen it asked earlier, I was of the under standing that sound travels in waves, if two waves of the same "frequency" meet they "cancel" each other out! If that is correct then if another boat has an ultra sonic system would that stop them from working?
Old 05-02-2011, 21:22   #232

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
If out of phase with each other they would cancel. If in phase they would add together.

However the sweeping and varying frequencies at such a rapid rate would preclude either from happening most all the time.
Old 05-02-2011, 21:44   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I would like to discuss a subject that I am sure most individuals simply
take as a fact of our daily existence: losing things!

So, now that this phenomenon is understood, it should relieve us all of
unnecessary anxiety. When you can't find your keys or your car, just
wait--it's only GONE temporarily. It will pop up when it falls out of
the void.
GordMay -- I am a great fan of you logic and steadfast adherence to the scientific method, but on this one, you missed the mark. The answer to losing things is....

genetic. As far as I call tell, most of the people on this forum, and in particular, in this thread, are men. As men, we have an X and a Y chromosome; the ladies have two X's. (No wise-a comments about Ex's, thank you.) The reason?

We lost that extra part of our other chromosome, and we don't know where it is. Worse yet, that particular part of the DNA chain includes genes for smelling good, control of "digestive sonics", and most importantly, the ability to remember where you put something. Perhaps "misplaced" is more accurate, but the fact remains: women can find things they never saw or even knew about until you asked about it, and we can't find our glasses when they are hanging from our shirt neck.

Of course, we men have learned to cope by blaming voids, bureaucrats, and ineffective systems of all types, all the while knowing that if we could just get our hands on the 4th arm of that second chromosome, we'd remember where we put our keys, wallets, conscience, and manners, and we could quit farting around and develop a reliable ultrasonic anti-fouling apparatus. Alas, the ability to locate misplaced objects is as far removed from us genetically as that ever-so-handy prehensile tail.

I, for one, am still happy to have the ability to scratch and adjust.

John
Old 05-02-2011, 22:04   #234

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post

John
PM me. I've just dropped the price. Usually $1M each, but 2 for the price of one until 5pm today

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 05-02-2011, 22:14   #235

Boat: Ocean Alexander
Actually there is one additional tragic loss resulting from the lack of fourth leg on the Y chomosome - that being the ability to see objects directy in front of our eyes. I have my wife convinced that all men suffer from a Y chromosome linked central vision deficency.
Old 05-02-2011, 22:20   #236

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Trigger Fish

Whilst crossing the S.Atlantic Cape Town, St Helena to top of Brazil we stopped at Ascension Island ( British with an American airbase ). On dropping anchor the whole hull was subjected to a clicking noise which was quite confusing at first. We learnt it was hundreds of Trigger Fish. They cleaned the hull,prop etc in 10 minutes. Friends of ours, Americans ,who were circumnavigating and were at Ascension at the same time said they had encountered Trigger Fish in waters everywhere they had been but non that did this amazing cleaning job. Anything thrown into the water ie top of pineapple was devoured. If you jumped in the water they were fast to investigate actually touching your body. They seemed to know you were alive and retreated, unlike Pirana. If these could be netted and kept in a cleaning enclosure in a bigger port with similar water temps etc, the netter/owner would be rich over night. Otherwise sail to Ascension for a free bottom clean
Clyde
Old 15-02-2011, 22:57   #237

I have just recently got back from Phuket after seeing first hand the results of the electromagnetic sonic anti fouling device on the 47' Sunseeker. The boat had been in the water for 14 mths and our system had been on for 6 mths and it was coming out for some engine work. The results were fantastic. The skipper told me that what was on the hull and stern drive at time at install had fallen off within a month. Unfortunately the system was not working for about a month due to a broken wire. So there was a little growth on the hull in places. But this came of with little effort. The owner was most impressed. He is selling this boat so we are now to install on a Sunseeker with twin shafts.

I have attached a revised explanation of the concept. Trust this is easier than the last one I posted.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Working principles of WR Electronic System Marine.doc (69.5 KB, 123 views)
Old 15-02-2011, 23:29   #238

Boat: Islander 36
Bagwain, The truth is that everybody (except maybe your competition) will be happy when they can see that it works.

Glad your persistance has been rewarded. Patience now. Let the knockers eat their words in peace. Don't beat anybody up with this and you will leave a trail of happy sailors.
Old 15-02-2011, 23:36   #239
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwain View Post
Any knockers - don't waste your or my time as it is working!!
You have provided absolutely zero documentation of the system's efficacy. And since you clearly have an agenda and financial interest in the success of the system, your word alone on this subject is completely meaningless.

Pix or it didn't happen.
Old 16-02-2011, 00:34   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Bagwain, The truth is that everybody (except maybe your competition) will be happy when they can see that it works.

Glad your persistance has been rewarded. Patience now. Let the knockers eat their words in peace. Don't beat anybody up with this and you will leave a trail of happy sailors.

Thank you Minggat.
Encouraging and wise words. The knockers will be ignored and the last laugh is me. Yes i do have an interest in it and have had for over 15 yrs in other industries with hundreds sold!!!!!
The pics will be forthcoming.
Closed Thread

Tags
anti-fouling