Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 22:39   #1

Boat: Leopard 45
Ultrasonic Anti-Fouling

I am giving serious thought to abandoning the annual slip and antifoul in favour of fitting the Boat Sure ultrasonic system.

Welcome any feedback on the system before I commit.

Taking into account the fact that I will still need to slip annually to service the volvo saildrive, the savings really only boil down to the cost and labour (if not DIY) of blasting off and the antifoul itself.

Having said that I do expect to get longer, improved hull performance.

Neil
Old 08-08-2008, 01:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I thought someone may have commented by now. But seems no. So I will give you my thoughts.
Firstly I don't know how this system is really going to effectively work. If it is loud enough to drive away critters, it is going to be loud to everything else in the environment. But besides, the sound is not going to stop weed growth. So if you have one growth, it defeats the entire point in my view. You still have to haul the boat anyway, you still have to clean plant growth, so I se no saving at all.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:14   #3

I'm pretty its not audible to us, it uses ultra (high fequency) sonic (sound) to actually kill the organisms. I could understand this theoretically. I've had ultrasonic therap (very localized deep tissue heat) on my knee and I could see taken to anothe level you could "cook" or kill little tiny critters: Boatsonic: Algae control for boats!

I'd like to see some real users expereinces or have the reseller give you a one year gaurantee with an agreement for marketing, or quotes or something...

-p
Old 08-08-2008, 01:47   #4

I have seen the unit in a demo environment and the waves are not perceptible to the human ear - well not mine anyway.

There are a couple of boats in Aust now with them fitted and orders for another coupleof dozen (I believe) - at face value it looks brilliant.

One concern I have seen on some sites is whether the ultrasonic waves could over a prolonger period cause damage to the GRP (eg delamination).

Neil
Old 08-08-2008, 01:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’m unable to find any reliable evidence that Ultrasound is an effective Antifoulant (deterrent/repellant).
Numerous controlled studies have shown that ultrasound is ineffective against mosquitoes, cockroaches, cats, deer, and etc.

Ultrasound is normally defined as sound at frequencies too high to be detected by humans. The upper limit of human hearing is generally around 20,000 Hz, although few adults have effective hearing at frequencies that high.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:03   #6

mmmm

There are a couple of sites in the UK that deal with killing of algae in reservoirs using ultrasound. There are a couple of articles by the CSIRO Govt Agency here as well.

I've spoken (in the last couple of days) to two owners here with boats in Newcastle (an hour north of Sydney). The water ranges from 18-21 degrees throughout the year and they are rapped with the results.

The suppliers give a money back guarantee (still have to get it back I suppose) and showed last week at the Sydney Boat Show.

Worst case scenario I ditch $4000 and everyone can learn a lesson.

Best case - it works and I only have to slip once a year + no antifoul.

The long term effects of ultrasound still worry me a bit.

Neil
Old 08-08-2008, 02:18   #7

Boat: owned a 6m single hull sailing boat, a HIRONDELL 23 cat and chartered modern +8m ELAN boats
the system is not that effective but it will spare u few years more; it is effective more or less against shells etc but not algae; probably 1 transmitter will not be enough for the whole hull; u'll probably have to have 2 or more transmitters, evenly separated, that will cover the whole hull; don't know how the ultra sound from your system will effect your sonar but it could thay'r both ultra sound devices
Old 08-08-2008, 02:34   #8

Boat: Trismus 37
I imagine it works like an ultrasound parts washer or the type jewelers use for cleaning jewellery. I would have thought that if it was as good as the manufacturers say it would be on every new ship / super yacht / naval vessel etc. Just a thought though what do nuclear submarines use, they can stay out there for a hell of a long time without returning to port. "Oh" of course I forgot, they are still using TBT.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:54   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
"Oh" of course I forgot, they are still using TBT.
Not true. U.S. submarines use cuprous oxide-based ant foulings, just like you do.

Underwater Hull - Submarine
Old 08-08-2008, 13:34   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I hate to break the news, but hull critters ain't got no ears.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 08-08-2008, 13:46   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Niel, What ever the unit cost I can sell you a unit that will do the same thing as theirs, run off 9 volt batteries and I will sell it to you for one half what that unit will cost you.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 08-08-2008, 13:53   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
US submarines may as well go out with hydrophones blaring the Star Spangled Banner if they are going to be making ultrasonic noise. Sonar hears these ultra low and ultra high frequencies that we can't.

If something like that actually worked, I think it would have been invented a long time ago.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:53   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
I imagine it works like an ultrasound parts washer or the type jewelers use for cleaning jewellery...
Do you know how/why an ultrasonic parts/jewelry/denture cleaner work?
Do you think that this mechanism is analogous to (or would translate to) hull anti-fouling applications?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:32   #14

Sub's cant use ultraosund - it can be detected - so thats why they have probably stuck with the "medieval" TBT solution.

I put a little ultrasound transducer (get them from any amatuer electrical store) in my sons fish tank. Didnt think it would hurt the fish and thankfully it hasnt so far - its a Fighting Fish and he thinks its a heater - but thats another story.

3 days - algae has died and the weed is in real trouble. "Praise the ultrasound".

Appreciate the feedback and will come back with feedback on the real thing in the next couple of months whilst I evaluate whether I should have spent the dosh on something really useful.

Neil
Old 09-08-2008, 05:10   #15

Boat: Trismus 37
Sorry Gord I don't know the mechanics of how they work except that they do. My guess is it is through a very high frequency sonic vibration. Any enlightenment appreciated.
Closed Thread

Tags
anti-fouling