Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 20:30   #121

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I have seen the "ultrasound" type systems in boat shows going back at least a decade. If the ultrasound system actually worked, it would stand to reason that the new boats coming out of the factories would all have it since it would save a lot of labor and time and money over traditional bottom paints.
Old 28-12-2009, 13:02   #122

Boat: Swedenyacht 42
For the readers information Practical Boat Owner in the UK Boat maintenance advice, sailing and motor boats, practical advice | Pbo has been running a test project throughout 2009 on 2 dinghies moored in Poole harbour, using 2 types of ultrasonic systems. The results are due to be published in the March 2010 issue out on 1 Feb 2010. Perhaps this will silence all the snake oil comments, I await in anticipation and the hope of ending the annual ritual.
Old 28-12-2009, 13:09   #123
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_jersey View Post
Perhaps this will silence all the snake oil comments, I await in anticipation and the hope of ending the annual ritual.
Or perhaps it will not. Considering the testing is happening in the U.K., one has to wonder how the results will translate to regions that experience heavier fouling conditions, like California, Florida, the Caribbean etc., etc., etc.
Old 29-12-2009, 04:56   #124

[QUOTE=Richard_jersey;380074. . . Perhaps this will silence all the snake oil comments, I await in anticipation and the hope of ending the annual ritual.[/QUOTE]

Testing on a couple of "dinghies" with either wooden construction or the usual 0.125 or less inch thick fiberglass or polypropylene or pvc hull is as far from a valid test as you can get for how something would work on a full size FRG or other type hull, boat. Normal FRG boats range from 3/8" to 3/4" inch or more thick hulls made with anything from polyester resin to vinylester to whatever high tech or low tech hull layup. Those tests will have virtual no correspondence to reality and then add in the aforementioned totally different sea-life and water temperature/salinity conditions of Poole Harbor versus Antigua, Miami, New York, Florida, Sydney, Marseille and the hundreds of other places.
- - The normal process of fouling on a boat bottom starts with a slime growing on the surface of the hull followed by thicker algae and even what we call in the Caribbean "sea moss" - a fine hair like sea plant. These growths isolate the anti-foulant paint's active ingredient from being released and then the barnacles, proto-coral and other flora and fauna of the oceans can take up residence on your boat's hull.
- - Using a mechanical "vibration" device be it low-freq or ultra-sound will be dampened to nothing by the layers of growth and also by the shear mass of the thickness and composition of a FRG, wood, or metal within a few cm of the transducer location. Witness the growth that covers your depth sounder transducer which is also a similar type technology.
- - These same type devices are sold as mosquito repelling, and a hundred other theoretically possible applications. Just like the "magnet" to keep algae out of your diesel fuel, they sound great but do nothing in reality except help keep your wallet from getting too heavy.
- - Practical real life proof is that commercial ships, mega-yachts, cruise ships, etc. do not use any of these types of "wonder-cures." If they did work, the devices would be mass marketed to the "big guys" who have a real economic reason to use them.
Old 01-05-2010, 18:34   #125

Speculations far off target

I imagine you are no biologist, so I would not speculate on biological technologies. Ultrasound is proven to kill algae. And....you cannot hear ultrasound, by definition.
Cheers
Old 01-05-2010, 20:42   #126

Wow, a dead thread ressurected - must have run out of those folks P.T. Barnum talked about. Check some of the reference research organizations and not surprisingly found no references to any work done with ultrasonic anti-fouling by them. Time always tells the story - I would believe more in the Nigerian scams than ultrasonic anti-fouling.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:19   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I hate to break the news, but hull critters ain't got no ears.

Hull critters eh? Mussels you mean? They need to eat. Algae is food. No food no mussels. And algae are no critters. Ultrasound destroys them physically. Even if these plants species have no ears....hummm....they do pop
Old 20-05-2010, 10:30   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
I believe it it sets up microbubbles on the hull, which is a disincentive to growth, but also, with certain frequencies of ultrasound , it actually destroys portions of the cell walls or internals of the algae cells. They use a number of different frequencies, which they can do because the unit is digital. Older units were analogue and produced a single frequency, which may be why they failed. I understand different algae need different frequencies. These then die and so lose whatever foothold they may have had, but with a clean hull, it stops them attaching in the first place. As you say, if it works as advertised, then this will really be a great advance for all of us.
However, lets wait for NMIT5903's post - I am biting nails already!!!
They can electrically send many frequencies, but a piezo transducer is only able to perform VERY near its own resonance frequency (with a few weak harmonics). That's basic physics. So, forget about them using different frequencies. They digitally generate them alright in the electronics, but they are barely transmitted, mostly heat come off the transducer outside the resonance frequency. I am back with more soon. Cheers.
Old 14-12-2010, 02:55   #129

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
is this all what you guys have to tell here? all stories like i heard some thing from some one. no first hand experiance write up?

well i going to install this system on my boat and will see who's right or wrong. at least my future report will be at first hand...
Old 14-12-2010, 03:19   #130
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
is this all what you guys have to tell here? all stories like i heard some thing from some one. no first hand experiance write up?

well i going to install this system on my boat and will see who's right or wrong. at least my future report will be at first hand...
GREAT! Let us know how it works out!
Old 14-12-2010, 05:49   #131

Boat: CA 34
We had an ultrasonic system on our last boat and it worked in Europe, the Med , Canaries and in the Caribbean... Boat Bits: A great idea... Ultrasonic Antifouling

Sadly the company that made the system we used (a UK firm) went out of business as getting past the mindlock that the only way to deal with fouling is paint and paint alone just was not doable.

Sometime I think we do ourselves a disservice not being a little more open minded about new ways of doing stuff.

Having experienced that it works I'm looking for a new and affordable electronic system as having seen that it is possible to go four years without paint or haul outs I get all sort of cranky when I have to paint my boat with toxic and expensive stuff.
Old 14-12-2010, 06:29   #132

Some great "ideas" are just plain illogical and make little common sense as to their effectiveness - so few if any but the diehard optimist get sucked in and spend the money. And then they get embarrassed and claim it works. What was that saying from P.T. Barnam?
- - If it worked why would thousands of cruisers spend millions on copper and other paints?
Old 14-12-2010, 06:56   #133
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
I just play meatloaf to the algae. It also keeps criminals away. Just be sure to set it on a timer so you don't end up subjecting yourself to it or the results could be devastating.
Old 14-12-2010, 07:02   #134
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanskra View Post
I imagine you are no biologist, so I would not speculate on biological technologies. Ultrasound is proven to kill algae. And....you cannot hear ultrasound, by definition.
Cheers
Would suggest no dogs or cats on board with this set up then... coz they can....lol
So now instead of poisoning the sea's your going to join the US Navy and blast their sense's/ears out... yet one more giant step for mankind

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 15-12-2010, 06:10   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I just play meatloaf to the algae. It also keeps criminals away. Just be sure to set it on a timer so you don't end up subjecting yourself to it or the results could be devastating.
Wait a minute! I like Meatloaf - especially his concert in Melbourne. I crank it up on my ship's sound system and all the pelagic sealife swims on in to hear.

- - Technically the problem with any ultrasound system on a boat is the fiberglass hull absorbs the vibrations and then only a little distance away from the transducer there is nothing. Depthsounders work shooting through the hull as they are aimed perpendicular. These are not RF energy signals but mechanical vibration waves - sound. I think they work about as well as those "X-ray" glasses you buy to see through your girlfriends clothing.
Closed Thread

Tags
anti-fouling