Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2011, 06:56   #241

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwain View Post
....the last laugh is me.
I agree 100%.

John
Old 16-02-2011, 09:46   #242
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
That document contains the same deep scientific thought as harmonic convergances and human phase shifts in nth dimensions, which is to say, it's science fiction and not even good science fiction.

Resonance is the tendency of a system to oscillate with greater amplitude at certain frequencies. It's easily seen in a musical instrument because they are systems designed to oscillate. A sailboat on the other hand is a system designed to be relatively stiff. You can can get oscillations off the stays and, unfortunately, sometimes off the mast but the hull, in particular, is a very poor oscillator. Think back to when the surveyor was tapping his hammer. He was looked for a very slight resonance in the immediate area of the strike. It certainly didn't set your boat to ringing I hope. If it is the principle at work I have to say I don't like the idea of my boat resonating all the time. It seems unlikely that something as nonresonant as seaweed is going to be affected more then my hull.

Wait a minute, the document references electromagnetic resonance and perhaps isn't using acoustic resonance at all! Just how strong is that magnetic field? Strong enough to cause my electronics to fail? I have a GRP hull. GRP is RF transparent, non-conductive and helps to insulate against electromagnetic fields. So what is resonating? The sea life? Maybe so. If my boat becomes a floating magnetic field I have to ask again, what does that do to my electronics? If I swim off the boat am I now at risk dangerous exposure to emf?

The article starts with a brief reference to atomic resonance. Well, if you're interested you can read this and decide for your self if they are capable of using this principle on your boat to keep sea life off.
Nuclear magnetic resonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a telling statement that if you do a web search of these devices you will get pages and pages of people trying to sell them to you and not one page of any true testing. I know what that says to me.

Old 16-02-2011, 10:23   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post

It's a telling statement that if you do a web search of these devices you will get pages and pages of people trying to sell them to you and not one page of any true testing. I know what that says to me.
Classified Information awaiting the attention of Wikileaks?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 16-02-2011, 18:12   #244

It is not "Nuclear Magnetic Resonance" and it does not resonate the hull. The resonance is created by the transducers and the sound is carried via the electromagnetic filed. Not unlike a fish finder. Does sonar or a fish finder play havoc with other electronics??????????

It is early days with marine application and as the same I dealt with in other industries it has it skeptics and in most cases healthy. But the evidence was overwhelming which in the end attracted large amounts of investment into biological research with prestigious universities. This technology is now commercialized in these areas.

We have very good encouraging results and as more come along maybe just maybe some people will start to see for themselves.

How long ago was it that people would not believe that you could have a fish finder on your boat showing you on a screen that you have fish below?????????????

"A man not changed of his own opinion walks away still of his own opinion" Even when the evidence stares him in the face.
Old 16-02-2011, 18:18   #245
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Sonar has been around for a hundred years:
Sonar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 16-02-2011, 18:53   #246

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
We have very good encouraging results (1) and as more come along maybe just maybe some people will start to see (2) for themselves.

How long ago was it that people would not believe that you could have a fish finder on your boat showing you on a screen that you have fish below????????????? (3)
(1) Show me.

(2) Show me.

(3) They showed it to me.

If you had any pictures of that 47' Sunseeker before and after the 6 months, you would have our undivided attention. I would absolutely love to represent your device when it is PROVEN and DOCUMENTED to do what you say it will. The door of opportunity is wide open if you will just give us something other than your assurances.

John
Old 16-02-2011, 18:53   #247
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
"A man not changed of his own opinion walks away still of his own opinion" Even when the evidence stares him in the face.
Jeezus. Then when are you gonna provide some friggin' evidence? All you do is run your mouth about what a miracle this device is and act indignant when somebody asks you to back up your bold talk with some actual proof, something you are either unwilling or incapable of doing.
Old 16-02-2011, 18:57   #248
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
It is not "Nuclear Magnetic Resonance" and it does not resonate the hull. The resonance is created by the transducers and the sound is carried via the electromagnetic filed.
Well if I remember anything at all about basic physics, an elecromagnetic field will only influence another magnetic field, charged particle, etc.

Can you explain how you are going to create a sonic wave (sound) that is electrically charged or is composed of magnetic dipoles? Since sound is a pressure wave that propagates through some medium like air or water or even fiberglass boat hulls I would be very interested to learn how you plan to impose an electrical charge or magnetic field onto that pressure wave.

Bottom line, a sound wave, at least in water or fiberglass will no more be "carried via the electromagnetic filed" [sic] than a block of wood.

Unless you can explain the action in different terms, how it is stated above is not physically possible.
Old 16-02-2011, 19:01   #249

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
the questions are getting tooo technical
Old 16-02-2011, 19:06   #250
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
How long ago was it that people would not believe that you could have a fish finder on your boat showing you on a screen that you have fish below?????????????
I would say people believed a fish finder could show fish under a boat the very first time they saw an actual working model or even scientific data and real evidence of how it works.
Old 16-02-2011, 19:06   #251

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Jeezus. Then when are you gonna provide some friggin' evidence? All you do is run your mouth about what a miracle this device is and act indignant when somebody asks you to back up your bold talk with some actual proof, something you are either unwilling or incapable of doing.
I'm sorry, but as a commercial vendor this kind of non stop belittleing just does not come off as very professional.
Old 16-02-2011, 19:11   #252
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I'm sorry, but as a commercial vendor this kind of non stop belittleing just does not come off as very professional.
At least provide visual evidence backing up my claims.

Old 16-02-2011, 23:12   #253

Bagwain, what nationality are you, it would help for some of us to decide if you are for real.
Yes, it is important.
Old 16-02-2011, 23:31   #254

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Bagwain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
(1) Show me.

(2) Show me.

(3) They showed it to me.

If you had any pictures of that 47' Sunseeker before and after the 6 months, you would have our undivided attention. I would absolutely love to represent your device when it is PROVEN and DOCUMENTED to do what you say it will. The door of opportunity is wide open if you will just give us something other than your assurances.

John
I for one would buy IF you can demonstrate that the system works, results that are repeatable in varied locations around the world on real vessels. I will NOT make a decision to buy based on heresay and unsubstantiated promises.
You be the judge.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 17-02-2011, 00:43   #255

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Hey this is really relevant to me. I just completed labs on pulsed NMR and continuous wave NMR. NMR is the base concept used in an MRI machine. Notice the "magnetic resonance" that they have in common? Basically, you put certain things in a magnetic field (protons, flourine, CuSO4 etc.), excite them with a radiowave, and watch in amazement as they create a huge resonance!

It works, actually, almost the same as acoustic resonance, it is just the electromagnetic version.

There is no way that "sound is carried via the electromagnetic filed" unless you are talking about a piece of speaker wire!

You can transmit data through an electromagnetic field, you just need sophisticated electronics to receive and process that data.

I am calling B.S. on this whole enterprise. I think that maybe it would work on a steel tank or something, or maybe even a small steel boat, but it seems impractical, expensive to try, and probably ineffective.
Closed Thread

Tags
anti-fouling