Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 09:07   #1

Ugly bottom

Our 34' Morgan has a bottom that looks like a topographical map! Flaked paint painted over, looks awful, no blisters apparently. We HAD budgeted a complete paint removal, new barrier coat, paint etc., but life got in the way (illness).

Soooo, I'm thinking, while its on the hard, and as we have some strength still in us, let's just remove the small areas with flakes then sand the hull (not too deep) as best we can, maybe fairing with epoxy the few "dings" that go a bit deeper, then anti fouling. I believe that there are epoxy filler products for the dings that can be painted over (and I need to do more research on all that) but then we can get back in the water, with the plan to haul it out next hurricane season and do it right, after having saved up enough $.

I hate doing this kind of temporary work, and would rather do it "right", but can't afford it this year. So has anyone done this? Terribly awful idea?
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 09:36   #2

Re: Ugly bottom

No problem. You'll be fine. If the epoxy is hardened up, sand it with 80 or 60 grit before painting.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 09:36   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

I am having similar thoughts. I wouldn't put anything on the bottom that you will have to grind off again next year when you do it right.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 09:40   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

I wouldn't bother trying to fair over the flaked off chips of paint with epoxy, because next year it is just going to flake off somewhere else. If you don't have the time or money to do it right now, just scrape off the loose stuff and slap another coat of paint over it. It won't be pretty and it will cost you a fraction of a knot in speed, but no one but you will notice. When you have time and money, soda blast the bottom, apply 4-5 coats of barrier coat, and 2-3 coats of new antifouling paint. Follow all manufacturers directions to ensure paint adhesion.
Old 31-10-2015, 10:34   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svdestiny View Post
Our 34' Morgan has a bottom that looks like a topographical map!

I hate doing this kind of temporary work, and would rather do it "right", but can't afford it this year. So has anyone done this? Terribly awful idea?
It really doesn't cost that much to do it right especially since your boat is already out of the water

Sand paper, 6" sander, masks, epoxy, paint, rollers, muscle, beer............... <$500.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01756.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	111958   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01757.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	111959  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01810.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	111960  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 11:51   #6

Cheechako., thanks for the reassurance, though I still feel guilty. Ziggy, that's exactly what I plan to do! And thomm, can we do a good sanding/fairing/painting job given our limitations? Pretty sure yes, and we always try to do the best we can, but don't feel we are up to sanding the entire hull down to the gel coat, or can afford the soda blasting that is recommended. Even using local labor here in the Rio, we are hearing estimates around 2000$ . Which we just don't have in the budget until next hurricane season.

At least If we do this temporary fix, we can sail the damn boat for the next eight months, instead of renting a place on land like we are doing now. (I can no longer handle living on the hard with two chubby dogs, a cat, and a recuperating husband).

I'll take the eight months
Old 31-10-2015, 13:16   #7

If the dings are into the laminate just wash with acetone, mix some resin and milled fiber, fill, and sand. If you hold the acetone rag to the immediate area for about 30 seconds, it will soften the old resin, and you will get a better bond. Then just scrape off the loose paint, and repaint. I would not use epoxy at this point, there is no need.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 13:31   #8

There might be just a few boats out there who haven't had their bottoms soda blasted, and, gasp!, maybe don't even have barrier coats. And are doing just fine.

Hope your hubby is feeling better.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 14:33   #9

There might be just a few boats out there who haven't had their bottoms soda blasted, and, gasp!, maybe don't even have barrier coats. And are doing just fine.

Hope your hubby is feeling better.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 15:39   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Wash, prime, paint. Will look like new in no time.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 16:59   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I wouldn't do anything beyond a pressure wash and paint myself. eight months will fly by, might even just splash her if money is tight?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 17:19   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I wouldn't do anything beyond a pressure wash and paint myself. eight months will fly by, might even just splash her if money is tight?
Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Because the stupid engine in our boat needs to be overhauled before we can go cruising, we may get only 3 months of sailing this year. We have lots of bottom paint problems but I can keep up with anything for 3 months. So we are just going to "splash her ".
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:18   #13

Thanks again to all, things have moved slowly here but we have done the best we can. We washed the bottom, filled in a few small dings, sanded without going crazy, anitfouling. We haul next season to hopefully do a more thoughtful job.