Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2007, 18:30   #1

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Type of Swageless

I am planning to change the standing rigging (shrouds) on my 25ft boat. The wire size is 5/32. She only carrys 236 of sail and a 28 foot mast.

My research has lead me to a product called "Quick Attach" which was tested by Good Old Boat approx 4/2000. It is a little more expensive than Sta-Lok or Nav-Tech. However looks easier and no cone to carry (lose)

Mainly this will be replacing the turnbuckles at the chain plates.

I will probably use nicopress at the mast ends as this was what was used by the manufacture
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 22:33   #2

I believe I used either norseman or a stalock terminals. They are both really easy to use and basically the same, but Here is the annoying part, I cant remember which one had issues with their metal a while back. I remember reading about it somewhere, where one company had an issue buy didnt tell anyone and the other had an issue and took out advertising on it to tell everyone about it. A web search might come up with which was which. A warning, a french guy I met had brand new rigging that he bought from france because his rig was old. Lost two of his shrouds along the way (the brand new ones) due to defective cable (not the terminals). He went back to the old rigging which he was convinced was better. Anyway, not saying you shouldnt re-rig, just dont cheap out on the wire you use. I know, its anecdotal, but he thought it was chinese made.
brian and clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 23:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
This is the stuff being talked about. It looks pretty good. Click the link "instructions" to see how they go together.

Good Old Boat, Quick Attach, Sta-Lok, Norseman, swasless fittings
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 18:48   #4

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Another part to the puzzle the "Quick Attach" is a closed body. Not sure about a closed body close to the deck (lots of water)
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 19:17   #5

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith
Another part to the puzzle the "Quick Attach" is a closed body. Not sure about a closed body close to the deck (lots of water)
I'm not sure I understand. This is pretty much the same as Norseman and Stalock, only you don't have to unlay the wire to assemble it. As far as I know they all recommend putting sealant in when you assemble them. This type of connection is supposed to be better than a swage for longevity. I've seen articles that recommend mechanical terminals for the deck level connections, and swages up high away from the water to reduce costs.

The only way I know to get away from closed body fittings is nicopress if you have small enough rigging or wire rope eye splices.

I've been using Sta locks as I replace my rigging. I was very tempted by the Quick Attach, but they had no track record at the time.

John

John

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote