Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 11:41   #1

Boat: 1989 41' Morgan Classic Center Cockpit
Two-Part Paint Thinner Options - Help !

Hello, I am hoping someone out there will be able to help with my problem. I live in remote eastern Newfoundland, and ordered in Interlux Perfection 2 Part Poly paint from my local marine supplier. This is a new product in my area, and me being one to try better and new decided to order in 4 quarts of Interlux Perfection paint to do my boot stripe and top stripe on my Morgan 41 Classic. Before I left my dealer, I also picked up Interlux 333 thinner to help with the job. I asked my dealer for the recommended 2333N thinner but he said that they don't carry it, and sold me 333 thinner in stead. Anyhow this does not work. It separates and so far I have had to throw out 1/2 litre because of this. I tried to get 2333N thinners but none to be had in Newfoundland. My dealer said it will be at least 3 weeks to get some in because of the hazmat nature of this product. I contacted Interlux for alternative options but they told me there are none, and that I will have to get the 2333N thinner that is it end of story. If I do this, I will be delayed at least 3 weeks maybe more with our terrible newfoundland weather before I can launch my boat. Question is are there any other thinner options that I can use. I have tried Mineral Spirits, Lacquer Thinners, 333 thinner, but all separated. Has anyone else used any other product besides interlux 2333N with success. I find it hard to believe that this thinner is that specific. Maybe I am wrong. But if I could use a automotive reducer or some other niche product I would really like to. It is not a matter of cost so much as time with our very short season ( 2 months)
flopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 14:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Per ➥ http://www.yachtpaint.com/msds_pdf/Y...usa_ENG_A1.pdf

Interlux thinner (reducing solvent) #2333N contains:
Naphthalene 0.10 − 1.0% by Weight
Cyclohexanone 10 − 25% by Weight
Methyl n−amyl ketone 25 − 50% by Weight
Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether acetate 10 − 25% by Weight
Acetic acid, C6−8−branched alkyl esters 25 − 50% by Weight

I very much doubt that you’ll find a satisfactory substitute, but you could try an autobody paint shop (they use PE paints).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:36   #3

Boat: Westsail 32
Call Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island, they will mail it to you in a couple of days, best prices around on Interlux products.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...lue0%7ENewUser
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:23   #4

Boat: 1989 41' Morgan Classic Center Cockpit
Thanks for the quick and knowledgeable responses.

Boy, I guess the thinners are that specific.... Wouldn't have thought so. I appreciate the responses, and will be ordering from Jamestown tomorrow. Thanks, Jerry Belbin Chelsea Mist 1989 41' Morgan Classic. Cheers!!!
flopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:53   #5

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Two-Part Paint Thinner Options - Help !

Ancient thread, but for what it's worth I have substituted acetone for Interlux 2333n a couple of times in remote areas and it seems to work fine.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 15:26   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@mikereed: Since the OP said he'd tried acetone and it separated, I'd think maybe the paint company has reformulated their paint.

Ann
Old 09-05-2022, 18:40   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@mikereed: Since the OP said he'd tried acetone and it separated, I'd think maybe the paint company has reformulated their paint.

Ann

They have. They have also reformulated 2333N so that it is 100% Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether acetate, a reduced-toxicity solvent also known as a butyl cellosolve, 2-butoxyethanol acetate, and by several other names. It was popularized as a "safer" solvent by Eastman Kodak, as it is less flammable than acetone and less toxic than the chlorinated solvents it can replace (perchloroethylene etc) .

I have a bucket of carburetor cleaner from the local auto parts shop that is chemically identical.

https://www.international-yachtpaint.com/s3/documents/msds/Y2333N__US_EN_20160607_1.pdf?_ga=2.172019557.79622 1940.1652146390-1589617476.1652146390