Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2007, 15:29   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37
Two-Part Adhesive Question

I have an old Alliance dingy with a leak . While out and about, I used the two part adhesive to patch the leak. It held for a while but I was able to peal the patch off today. Did I not clean the area well enough, (all I had was Diane's non acetone nail polish remover)? I am not sure if it is Hypalon or PVC. Does it matter for the two part to work. Or should I use 5200 and forget it
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 17:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
It is possible that the area was not cleaned properly. Acetone is not only used to clean, but to react with and soften the surface of the material. Some nail polish removers, especially non-acetone based ones, can have other things in them for nail protection, which leaves a film on the surface when it dries.
I doubt that 5200 would succeed any better than a properly prepared two part adhesive especially made for the material.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 19:26   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Some nail polish removers actually have oils in them or things to "nourish the cuticles". Hypalon and PVC need different adhesives and different patch kits to work. Make sure of what material you have, and use the right patch for it. 5200 is almost certainly NOT going to work, the patch kits often fuse into the plastic and 5200 won't do that.

If you have a small hole, there are also patch "plugs" that work by inserting a metal plate (which has a threaded rod coming up out of it) into the hole, then applying a top plate and clamping the two together. They're designed mainly for life rafts, where proper time and materials for patch kits aren't available.

The good news is, if you use the right patch materials, and the right solvent prep, the repair WILL be just as good as new. You just can't take shortcuts on it though.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 19:27   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Denny and Diane,

All Alliance dinghys were hypalon. Preparing the surface of hypalon requires methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) to both clean and make the surface reactive for the glue. Acetone won't do it, and non-acetone nail polish remover may actually leave a residue behind. The two part adhesives come in specific formulas for hypalon and PVC and you need the correct one. They also have short shelf lives and you need an unexpired batch.

If you prepare the surface with MEK (after a bit of roughing with sandpaper) and use the proper hypalon two part glue within the expiration date, the patch will last longer than the rest of the boat.

I know this because I have an Alliance dinghy with a patch

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 19:29   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Looks like Hellosailor beat me to the post, and he makes a point I forgot: you also need to use hypalon patching material.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 02:52   #6

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Dont breath on the mek once you have cleaned the patch and hull. Also work where there is very little humidity ie dry garage.
Paint a few layers of the Bostik glue onto both patch and dingy and let it dry completely between coats. Once dry place the patch and use a heat gun and roller to activate and roll the patch on.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 06:33   #7

Boat: 1985 Gozzard Pilothouse 36
Can anyone tell me what a 2001 Avon RIB is made of PVC or Hypalon?
I bought this boat used, it has had a rough life, repaired many times(by others) and one of the tubes is separating from the transom. Any info would be a great help. Thanks
Boko~maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 10:17   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Avons are hypalon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive