Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2013, 01:46   #1

Boat: Weekend Courier 20'
Two fuel filters ??

I have a 20' craft with a Vetus 22hp inboard diesel. I changed the Vetus fuel filter yesterday and noticed what looked like another fuel filter on the same line as my Vetus filter hidden away at the back of the engine bay. This filter was twice the size and was before the Vetus lift pump. It was difficult see in the dark but the housing had SOLAR written on it and the words Ram 3522 a written on the cartridge My questions are:
1. Is it normal for any craft let alone mine to have TWO fuel filters and if so WHY?
2. Is it a fuel filter or would it serve some other purpose?

I am tempted just to bypass it but would appreciate opinions first. Thanks. Peter. Wimborne. UK
themannsindorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 02:30   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee 46' LRC Trawler
Re: Two fuel filters ??

It is very common to have two or more fuel filters. A common practice is to have a courser filter (like a 20 micron - that's the size of particles it will catch) to be first in line coming from the fuel tank and then a 10, 5, 2 or even a 1 micron after that to catch the real small stuff. That would be two fuel filters in series. Then there is the two fuel filters in parallel setup, you are only using one of them at a time and can switch a Y-valve (or more aptly a pair of Y-valves) to go from one to the other. This setup allows you to change one fuel filter while running on the other. It also allows you to change from a clogged filter to a clean filter by simply throwing a couple valves and allows you to change filters later - like in calm seas instead of during rough water.

And if you don't know when that unknown filter was changed then assume it needs changing.

For far more than I can tell you go to the leaders, Racor, at www.parker.com/racor
DieselTrawlerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 02:30   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Fuel filtration is important to health of deisel motor. I would be reluctant to remove any filtration.

Most marine engine have a primary and a ( finer) secondary fuel filter.
The secondary fuel filter is normally mounted on the engine, but where access is difficult it may be relocated. This is the most likely explanation for your set up.

It is also possible that there are two primary filters (course and fine).

Often boats are set up with two primary filters so they can swapped over without stopping the engine, but normally they would be identical filters.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 03:34   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by themannsindorse View Post
I have a 20' craft with a Vetus 22hp inboard diesel. I changed the Vetus fuel filter yesterday and noticed what looked like another fuel filter on the same line as my Vetus filter hidden away at the back of the engine bay. This filter was twice the size and was before the Vetus lift pump. It was difficult see in the dark but the housing had SOLAR written on it and the words Ram 3522 a written on the cartridge My questions are:
1. Is it normal for any craft let alone mine to have TWO fuel filters and if so WHY?
2. Is it a fuel filter or would it serve some other purpose?

I am tempted just to bypass it but would appreciate opinions first. Thanks. Peter. Wimborne. UK
Damn good chance that the filter that is hard to reach is a water separator/coarse filter.

If you can get to it, there will almost certainly be a bolt in the bottom. You put a cup/dish under this, crack it and let it flow. It will be a mix of water and diesel. Let it flow until only diesel comes out (no water). You should empty this on a regular basis (say spring/mid-summer/fall).

Change the filter every couple of years (my yanmar is every 2 years or 500 hours, I believe)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 07:53   #5

Boat: Weekend Courier 20'

Thanks everyone for your advice. By the time you read this I will be groveling on the cabin floor trying to get at it. Hey ho. all good fun. Post closed
themannsindorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel