Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 19:49   #16

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Re: Twin Steering Wheels

Haven't read most of above posts but 2 wheels never made sense to me
(in my 30 something ft. world) before I started driving my friends 50 fter.
Then made good sense at helm and even with auto pilot engaged most of time,
as ease of moving around much improved.
Now if only a portable joy stick would become standard, so can enjoy cocktail
on bow while running inlet.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 20:10   #17

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Have you ever noticed how high the windward side of the stern is on the boats shaped like an arrowhead with flat bottoms and twin rudders? They're riding the leeward chine and almost look like they are presenting the underside forward.

Visibility forward from centerline must be limited. And from the leeward wheel you'd be looking straight down the companionway.

Maybe not a fashion statement for some boats.
Old 26-02-2016, 13:16   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

Many of the new 2 wheel boats also have dual rudder. Elan make a series now E1 -5 that are all double wheel with an open stern. I checked out the 35ft e4 at the Boston boat show. Very cool and extremely functional especially for a race/cruiser.

They do ride higher on a reach. The boats have a chin creating much less wetted surface. There fast!!!! And theoretically very stable.

I'm not sure if it's a fad but I want one.
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 13:27   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

As people say, the modern marketing requirements are a boat with a hugely wide stern to maximize internal volume, huge double cabins in that hugely wide stern pushed all the way as far back as you can (meaning, no wheel well), and a clear walkway through the cockpit to the open transom step and swim ladder. Two wheels make a lot of sense on any larger boat given all that.

The new Tartan 3600 has gone to a single "tacking" wheel that can pivot back and forth, which is an idea that's been around since the late 60's. But the 3600 is also proportionally a lot narrower than the modern European boats.

As an aside, my 40.7 has a huge wheel partially recessed into a wheel well. On a racer/cruiser like this the wheel well is not a big deal since you don't want bunks pushed into the ends of the boat. But at anchor climbing around the wheel is a real pain, so I can see the attraction to twin wheels.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 14:39   #20

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I mean, really, how can you make a judgement on functionality when you admit never testing it?
MarkJ, I am not sure how you make that statement. Read my post again. MY Seawind cat has dual wheels. Owned it for many years and many sea miles.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 15:51   #21

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

My Catalina 400 has twin wheels (and one rudder). I love it. The stern of the boat is open for easy use underway and at anchor, by all the crew. When I single-hand, I can move around the cockpit easily. No climbing up and down is a good safety feature. I like to steer from the leeward side, and can easily sit on the combing to do so, and still just stand up and walk up to the windward side. All with great control and visibility. The wheels have a double cable system and have great feel and response. When I'm giving lessons to newcommers, they can take the "other" wheel with confidence. It has proven to be very functional for me.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 15:54   #22
Zeb

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
MarkJ, I am not sure how you make that statement. Read my post again. MY Seawind cat has dual wheels. Owned it for many years and many sea miles.
Wasn't this about twin steering on Monohulls? What does that have to do with catamarans?

- Zeb
Old 26-02-2016, 16:26   #23

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop

I can't speak to the 31, but on the 575 I test sailed the twin wheels were redundant in that you could lose one and use the other, unlike other twin-wheel systems. It was independent all the way to the rudder. Never got to see all that first hand, but...

Rick
Hylas 49-057
S/V Black Diamond
Portsmouth, RI
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 20:21   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Wasn't this about twin steering on Monohulls? What does that have to do with catamarans?

- Zeb
Nope, no one said monohulls only until your post. Original post did not say so. I was clear that to me it made sense on cats for the stated reasons. But even then, many of the cats are still only single wheel.
Old 26-02-2016, 20:24   #25
Zeb

Well he referenced specifically the Hanse 315 which is a monohull, so where did you get catamarans from?

- Zeb
Old 26-02-2016, 20:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Well he referenced specifically the Hanse 315 which is a monohull, so where did you get catamarans from?

- Zeb
He referenced that boat as being an issue, but never said monohull only.

Listen, I just made a comment about where twin wheels made sense in a sailboat. If you want to say my experience is not valid because it has two hulls well , whatever. I've heard that stuff many times before. Like when they say first to finish (a race), but then forget to note multihulls were excluded from their tally.

RE monohulls, I have been on a couple of those with twin wheels and it's nice to sit on the high side when steering and the boat healing. At anchor also gives clear path from cabin to stern. And to me they look cool. And manufacturers do tend to put some weight on aesthetics occasionally. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder to which you can clearly disagree.
Old 26-02-2016, 20:53   #27
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ah guys.... you never said a Hanse was a monohull... and that there is something I have just learnt now (and will probably forget by the next time I hear of it), on account of not having had direct experience with a Hanse.

(In fact... I can't find where it says it the thread title or OP where it says monohull either... but that might just be cos of the cotton wool stuck in my ears)

It's great what I learn around here. And taught so patiently by the Masters. Thank you for the lesson
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 20:55   #28

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

My daughter calls them bicycles
Old 26-02-2016, 20:59   #29
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c-m View Post
I like to steer from the leeward side, and can easily sit on the combing to do so, and still just stand up and walk up to the windward side.
You have to WALK from one side to the other? Awesome! On our boat a quick bum shuffle does the job!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 22:25   #30
Zeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
He referenced that boat as being an issue, but never said monohull only.

Listen, I just made a comment about where twin wheels made sense in a sailboat. If you want to say my experience is not valid because it has two hulls well , whatever. I've heard that stuff many times before. Like when they say first to finish (a race), but then forget to note multihulls were excluded from their tally.

RE monohulls, I have been on a couple of those with twin wheels and it's nice to sit on the high side when steering and the boat healing. At anchor also gives clear path from cabin to stern. And to me they look cool. And manufacturers do tend to put some weight on aesthetics occasionally. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder to which you can clearly disagree.
No worries mate. You just seemed a little defensive about it and everyone was discussing the monohull side of twin wheels. It's all good. Seems like you lend some good input.

- Zeb

Tags
steering, wheel