Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2009, 06:57   #1

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Truck Bed Liner Paint

Has anyone used the truck bed liner paint on there boat? There is a discussion here about boats using it for bottom paint. It is Polyurethane based and they are claiming nothing will stick to it. Also making a lot of claims about good deck paint. Anyone know for sure, or have any real experience?
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 07:11   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
No personal experience but I have read some boat builders use it on their jon & flats boats both inside and outside. I've also seen it used in bilges and chain lockers. Dunno about using it on the bottom though, maybe.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 07:30   #3
Eternal Member

jmolan,

A friend of mine with a 60' ketch did a lot of research. Was looking for something to paint his decks, over what appeared to be some rubberized thing the PO had put on. Removal of the previous covering and Awlgripping would have been prohibitive in cost.

He found some bedliner, tested a 3' square patch of it for several weeks, and concluded it was just the thing for him. Painted his entire deck. It adheres very well and is very tough. Looks very good. Been about 6 months....so far so good.

I believe the name was Grizzly Grip:
http://www.grizzlygrip.com/

He's coming over in an hour, so I'll ask him and get back to you.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 07:51   #4

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
Truck bed liner is too harsh on feet.

I obtained samples from a number of such products, and in each case found they would be way too hard on the body.
What I did find, and used to my complete satisfaction is KiwiGrip - see link - Anti-skid Boat Decks from Pachena LLC - KiwiGrip anti-slip deck coating
This product will not wear away like the ones used for truck bed liners etc. is easy to apply, looks great, priced right.
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 08:26   #5

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
A friend applied it on his trawler decks about ten years ago, the boat was about 20 yrs old then the with leaky teak decks. It has held up fine. He has an article on the project on his website www.charlesculotta.com
good luck
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 10:03   #6

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Thanks everyone, this is all good stuff. They are talking about the possibility of using it for a bottom coating that nothing will stick to because it is plasic based...well we'll see.....:-)
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 10:08   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Nothing will stick to it?

Quick, someone remind the barnacles of this.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 15:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Just be careful applying it. I seem to remember an article a few years back about a guy who paused during application to relieve himself. His wife was just not all that understanding about the transfer of the paint from his hands...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 15:13   #9

I'm thinking of using Kiwi Grip. However, I have had professionally applied bedliner coating done on a few new boats on decks etc. (not mine) Generally the results have been good. One boat had it start to bubble up a few months after application on a couple of the floor hatches. Not sure why this occurred. These boats are in colder climes, may be a potential for bubbling to be worse in the hot extremes??? I am amazed if someone did it over teaks decks and it's not a mess.... is that even possible? at any rate, I would say it's as good as anything out there....
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 15:24   #10

stevensc, I just read your friends article on how he did it, I guess he extended it a few inches both sides of the teak decks. Sounds like he did a good job. It probably just sealed the teak decks ina a chamber I suppose....
Old 27-04-2009, 09:21   #11

Boat: Morgan OI,41ft.seadancer
Check this out Durabak Company; Truck Bed, Marine, Boat Ship Industrial & Workplace Non-Skid Coatings.
fcsob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 09:53   #12

That Durabak looks interesting. Slightly more $ (in the UV protected type) than the Kiwi Grip product. The Kiwi is "acrylic polymer", the Duraback says "polyurethane...etc" hmmm.... wonder which is best? (or maybe they are the same!) From the description, it sounds like the Dura may be a little easier to put on, although it has a special roller also..These products look like the ticket for restoring beat up older decks like mine. I did Treadmaster on a boat once and it came out real nice but real expensive and a LOT of work....
Old 27-04-2009, 10:04   #13

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
KiwiGrip is far superior for a sailboat.

Durabak is great for commercial tugs, ferries, and the like. As I posted previously, if you use Durabak, you will always have to wear foot protection - it's very sharp.
The particles in the Durabak also tend to come loose down the line, whereas the KiwiGrip doesn't have any particles to become dislodged.
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 17:30   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Motor Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Quibell View Post
Durabak is great for commercial tugs, ferries, and the like. As I posted previously, if you use Durabak, you will always have to wear foot protection - it's very sharp.
The particles in the Durabak also tend to come loose down the line, whereas the KiwiGrip doesn't have any particles to become dislodged.
Not posting an argument, but I recently painted the "roof" over our aftdeck on our trawler with the Durabak...and I haven't seen any shedding...and while I don't have a problem walking barefoot on it....I will readily admit that I would hate to fall on my face and slide....no doubt it would result in a serious case of "deck-rash".... But as far as being a good non-skid surface.... I doubt you can beat it. I will be doing the balance of the nonskid on the boat... Flybridge, aftdeck, side decks, and the bow and bow cabin roof... with the Durabak.

The biggest suggestion that I can offer with it...is to take and mix it really, really well...then transfer the amount that you expect to use...and then dilute with no more than 10% toluene remix and apply. DO NOT SMOKE or allow anyone to come near with any source of ignition. Toluene is rather "flammable"...and you might want to do the work on a breezy day...

Let the first coat dry well then apply the second coat...also slightly diluted. My first coat on the first use was not diluted and as a result I seemed to have more "loose" granuals of the rubber...but when I diluted it for the second coat...as much to stretch the product out....it went down better and more uniformly. I bought the one gallon to paint the roof of the afterdeck as a trial run....afterall...the only people who would see that routinely would be God and jet pilots.... But I am rather impressed with the stuff...and if it performs half as well as advertised....I'll have no complaints.

It would be interesting if someone could come up with a plastic or polyurethane compound that would be tooo slick for the little critters to latch on to.

I remember a few years ago that someone came out with a "Teflon" product that was superslick for boat bottoms....but it seemed to fade into the mists....it had to be professionally applied...and between the cost of the product and the application it was "rather expensive".
Old 02-05-2009, 18:30   #15

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
A customer of ours was planning on using a product called poly urea on the decks of his old wood trawler,we replaced any bad sections of wood and he will spray a thick coating and add sand i think,his business is spraying this stuff on all sorts of things but not truck beds though it looks the same to me.I have a vw vanagon westfalia camper and it takes a beating on the front so i had him spray on a bra about 1/8" thick.It looks great and is very tough.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote