Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2014, 13:44   #16

Re: Truck bed liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It can bet hot as He'll in the Sun though.
If you get black or a dark color...yes.

If you select a light color, it's no worse than a light colored fiberglass deck.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:22   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Have done lots of commercial decks in Rhinoliner; fishermen love it. Holds dirt just like Kiwigrip. Not yacht grade for sure. Requires special equipment to spray.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:24   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
We have redone the non-skids on both of our boats with Tuffcoat and the decks have held up very well for years and we do abuse them. Here is a blog post we did on the application, The Trawler Beach House: Transforming The Non Skid Decks . We have been extremely happy with how well it holds up, how easy it is to clean, and most importantly, how it is truly non-skid in any conditions. Chuck
Your post intrigued me, so I called up the TuffCoat people and was impressed by the way they answered my questions.

So thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 17:17   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you get black or a dark color...yes.

If you select a light color, it's no worse than a light colored fiberglass deck.

Good point, I've only used it in black, didn't think about other colors
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 18:12   #20

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Your post intrigued me, so I called up the TuffCoat people and was impressed by the way they answered my questions.

So thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Did the people at TuffCoat say they they would come spray your boat?
Old 13-03-2014, 18:36   #21

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser
Re: Truck Bed Liner

I had my large anchor locker sprayed inside and out with linex, protects the chain from laying on the wet aluminum and dampens the noise considerably. I also had my 60 gallon holding tank sprayed inside and out before putting the lid on. I also had them put a coat on my main engines water lift as well as the gen set to cut the noise a bit more.
A friend of mine had his leaky fuel tank sprayed with several coats with good results
The anchor locker was $75 dollars, I recall that the holding tank was $150 Can. or so. It will never leak, guaranteed!
cheers, greg

Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 21:34   #22

Rhino lining is sprayed on at ambient temp., Linex is sprayed on hot. Because of this Linex will stick better. As mentioned above, Rhino lining is softer, more of a rubbery, grippy surface. Linex is a little harder, abrasive type of finish, it's in the polyurea family of chemicals.

It seems to me that Linex would be best in a chain locker or some other area where there is a lot of abuse. On deck, where you might be kneeling down or even laying down, Rhino lining might be a little nicer on the skin. I have 13 yr old Linex in my truck bed and it's held up well, despite getting very sharp, heavy objects like hitches, engine blocks, axes, firewood thrown into it all of the time.

I don't have any experience with any of the other products.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 11:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Did the people at TuffCoat say they they would come spray your boat?
No, they didn't! They don't even have Canadian distribution; I would have to order directly.

But if you are used to two-part paints, it doesn't look hard. The main trick is in finding three dry days in a row.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 14-03-2014, 14:48   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
No, they didn't! They don't even have Canadian distribution; I would have to order directly.

But if you are used to two-part paints, it doesn't look hard. The main trick is in finding three dry days in a row.
Well that leave out Canada... The South... and the Tropics!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 14:55   #25

When I worked for a powerboat builder we had LineX put on a few at customer request. They looked pretty good. It's thick and heavy. It was Black which may be OK up here in the PNW..... But I suspect it would bubble up in the tropics. Why do I say that? We had a couple small issues with bubbling up at the edge of floor hatches etc. It's tough stuff though. May be as good as anything else you might put on. .. and doesnt have the "yacht pricetag" yet!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 10:55   #26

I have not an anchor locker, but an anchor well, and I think the idea of truck bed liner of either type mentioned makes a lot of sense.
Old 16-03-2014, 23:58   #27

Boat: Cebec 63' trawler

I used a truck bed liner material over irregular wood, applied in three coats with a roller, on a shower floor. It was not especially easy to lay if you want a non skid finish, but it has worked well, with no leaks.
roddymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 09:53   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Try this. Pretty highly rated by Practical Sailor. We just did it last year, so far so good.

Durabak Colored Bed Liner Paint, Do It Yourself Bed Liner
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 10:35   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Try this. Pretty highly rated by Practical Sailor. We just did it last year, so far so good.

I've used Durabak on the steps on my deck. It's tough stuff and adheres to poorly prepped surfaces great. However, it's really rough stuff with some pretty large chunks in it, not a uniform roughness like Line X etc, not anything I would put on a nice sailboat really, but a tug boat yes.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 11:06   #30
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

How do you think it would look applied to an overhead that is the typical texture of fiberglass mat? Is it goopy enough to roll on overhead on a ceiling?
Would it 'smooth out' the lumps and weave in the glass mat texture?

Do you remember if it is a hazardous material with any shipping regs? I guess in other words, is it flammable in liquid form?

Thanks for any info on this. I'm really interested in the possibility of using the textured version on the stripped interior of our old boat.

Tags
bed