Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2011, 06:08   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Troubleshooting Webasto Diesel Heater

For those that have these forced air heaters, ours is shutting down with an error code #1, which means that it is not able to light ( no start after two attempts, no flame). We had this once last year, and it was that we simply had run out of diesel. This time I thought we had plenty of diesel, but I put in 5 gallons anyways, with the same result a few times in a row. I am guessing that the filter in the pump assembly box is clogged or??? What else can I look at. I am not relishing working on the unit itself, as it is in a very tight spot for my 6'2" frame ;<

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 06:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: troiubleshooting Webasto Diesel heater

See ➥ http://ca.binnacle.com/pdf/webasto_heater_manual.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 08:49   #3
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Re: troiubleshooting Webasto Diesel heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Wow! That's a better version of the manual than the one that actually came with the model (AT2000S) I bought!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 10:12   #4

Boat: Beneteau 393
Re: Troubleshooting Webasto Diesel Heater

I have a Webasto Hydronic, but the error code is the same. This is a common problem. Here are the reasons why mine has failed to fire in the past (in order of likely reasons):

1. Fuel pump has lost prime and/or no fuel in heater supply line. This is common when first starting the unit at the beginning of the chilly season. Re-prime lines and try to restart.

2. Carbon/"coke" build-up is causing the unit to not be able to fire. If it fires up sporatically, say once every 2-3 attempts, this is likely your problem. Clean burner unit and glow plug/ignitor.

3. Fauly glow plug/ignitor. Replace with new. In a pinch, very light sanding with 400 grit sandpaper will temporarily get you going, but only count on a few weeks of use doing this (long enough for new part to come in).

4. Faulty temp sensor. The unit fires up fine, but doesn't recognize it and shuts down. Replace sensor.

5. Cracked burner unit (you would notice this when you clean it for step nr 2 above.)

Good luck!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 12:38   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Chris, just be aware that the latest version of the Webasto ST2000 Airtop has a slightly different manual with 15 fault codes.

I currently have an unfathomable problem with mine which apparently shows a wiring fault but despite going over the wiring repeatedly I can't see it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 06:59   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Thanks to all for the responses. I think I must need to clean the burner unit/glow plug. Where can I find information on how to do this? Can anyone describe the process? I have never opened up the unit before.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46   #7

Boat: Pearson 422, 42ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall
Thanks to all for the responses. I think I must need to clean the burner unit/glow plug. Where can I find information on how to do this? Can anyone describe the process? I have never opened up the unit before.

Chris
Hi Chris
How did you make out with your heater? Did you find the information to help you clean it?
I have the same issue I'm about to tackle.

Dylan
Blissopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:03   #8

Boat: Beneteau 393

I am actually planning on doing this maintenance again soon myself. My unit still fires up, but I can tell it is coked up from the carbon buildup just outside the exhaust port. I'll try to remember to take some pics and post here. Basic steps are unmounting unit, taking it apart, and cleaning the inside, esp the burner. I use lotsa paper towels, q tips, and rubbing alcohol.

If you haven't already, you should visit the Sure Marine site: www.suremarine.com . They have lots of good info on their site.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29   #9

Awesome. Thanks for the information and future pics Frank.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:37   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

other than this probem: since I was freezing the other day I started looking at diesel heaters the Webasto other than being $$$ looks to have so advantages

what do you guys think of yours overall?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:08   #11

Don Lucas
I can't help you. I purchased the boat with a non working Webasto. I'm finally getting around to fixing it. I will give you some feedback when it is working.

Dylan
Old 07-05-2012, 12:46   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
other than this probem: since I was freezing the other day I started looking at diesel heaters the Webasto other than being $$$ looks to have so advantages what do you guys think of yours overall?
Don, like you we were on the boat last May and froze our tootsies off. So I turned to Google and CF for help. Whilst drip feed heating like the Dickinson or Sigmar would have been great we just don't have the space in a 31ft hull.

The Ebachers seem to get a really good slagging off and some of the models need a return to factory for a reset which put me off.

The Wallas range looked interesting but in the end settled on the little Webasto ST2000 which are very popular across Europe. Can't believe the prices of the units in the US ($2200) compared to £770 ($1200) in the UK, someone is taking the mickey.

WEBASTO HEATER AIR TOP 2000ST - Full installation kit 12v - NEW ! | eBay

Fitting took 3 days including planing the route and glassing in a support to mount the unit on. The hot air hoses are insulated which isn't part of the Webasto kit. The difference is an air temperature which was warm without the insulation which you could hold your hand under. Whilst with the insulation the temperature is too hot to hold your hands under for more than a few seconds. Afternote: we have since learnt that the first meter shouldn't be insulated as the heater can be overheated.

WEBASTO THERMODUCT 60mm Duct insulation, also Suitable for EBERSPACHER ducting | eBay

So would I chose Webasto again? yes, needed a couple of extra bits over the version designed for road vehicles but wasn't a problem and fitting straight forward. The water heating version would be nice but its a lot more money and more complicated. The Air top version quite simple to install.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:57   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
other than this probem: since I was freezing the other day I started looking at diesel heaters the Webasto other than being $$$ looks to have so advantages

I've owned two Webasto systems. The first was a hydronic system, the second forced air.

The hyrdronic system ran for eight years without needing maintenance, and the forced air system is almost 6 years old and hasn't skipped a beat.
Old 07-05-2012, 13:13   #14

Hi,

The problem is almost certainly voltage drop. On start, the lowpin uses 10 amps or more. If this causes voltage drop below about 10.5v at the heater it will go through its start cycle and stop exactly as you describe.

If you are able to check voltage at the heater when turned off then turn on and watch it drop - any more than about 0.75 volts and your cables are too small. An in ititial fix could be run engine while starting.

If this has been running with low volts for a while it could be coked up, but unlikely because they reduce the fuel pumping rate as the voltage drops. The telltale sign is carbon round the hull exhaust fitting. Could be fuel, or more likely water or air in fuel line. Voltage is favourite.

The airtop 2000 is one of the best most reliable heaters out there - I've had one on each of my last 2 boats - faultless

Seathy (ex Webasto engineer)
seathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:54   #15

Boat: Newport 30

Quote:

I got a st2000 used from a semi truck for $300. Another $200 for parts, thru-hull, muffler and vents. Worked great right from the start and still does (2nd Year now).

The only thing I don't like is the clicking of the fuel pump.

Keep a close eye on ebay and you can get them cheap!

Tags
diesel