Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2015, 22:08   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Troubleshooting by committee

While in many ways, the digital age has been a great boon, in other ways I find it akin to a plague.

Many are the times that I have exhausted my ideas on dealing with a problem then called or called in a proven expert for assistance.

Those kind of guys are getting had to find. They are still around but their voices are drowned out by the confident without cause.

Our new age has ushered in the rein of the "Email Champion" and the dreaded "Conference Call."

I have watched companies lose billions in revenue while having world wide discussions when the man with the answer to their issue was onsite, in dirty coveralls and in the email chain but no one was asking him. His statements barely covered 2 paragraphs. How could they be valid?

Now the guys that write 43 paragraphs? Those are the guys to follow. Never mind that the bulk had been copied and pasted from various intelligent sounding Internet sources.

The water cooler con men are the email champions of the digital world. With a fast enough connection and Google, he can be a expert in any field in minutes.

I am getting ready to sail away from my present locale. I hired a local rigger today to assist me a simple project. He had provided me with quality assistance for not enough money while here and I wanted to throw a bit more money his way.

I enjoyed listening to him speak of his apprentice days and seeing the pride he takes in his work.

I didn't even get his email address.

Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.