Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2006, 16:07   #1

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Trouble charging laptop

I forgot my 12v charger at home, so I have to charge my laptop with a 110v charger. I plugged it into the inverter, but it won't charge. Tested the inverter with a power drill and it works fine and the computer charges when I turn on the generator.

Any ideas as to why it won't charge on the inverter....too low of a draw perhaps?

Thanks
Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 16:37   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
The charger doesn't like looking at a modified sine wave. You're not hurting anything, but obviously it's not charging either.
You need a sine wave inverter, or a 12 volt charger (basically an inverter) which puts out the necessary voltage for your computer. I use a 12 to 18 volt dc to dc converter which is rated at 12 volts input with 18 volts@2.5 amps output. Works fine with my Dell laptop. I had to add my own plug for the computer end. I got it off an old 120 volt AC Dell power supply.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 20:47   #3

Does the computer's power management software tell you that the power supply is unknown or does the adapter simply not provide power?
Will the computer run on the AC without charging the battery or is neither happening. I ask because as it happens, Dell is sending a warranty tech to the boat tomorrow to replace my motherboard. I was periodically getting an error message saying that the 120v adapter was unknown and the battery would not charge. Didn't matter what I plugged it into. The Dell support people diagnosed a motherboard fault over the phone and overnighted a replacement to a local tech. (Not bad considering that I bought it in Canada over a year ago and I'm in SoCal now!)
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 20:48   #4

OOPS! Just reread your post and saw the generator part. Sorry!
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 10:43   #5

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Dell

I do have a Dell......it runs fine on 110V and the battery charges properly from 110v sources other than the inverter. I think Steve B. hit the nail on the head, since the only problem with the laptop is charging from inverter.

Thanks
Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote