Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2009, 15:35   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
No, you're right. Darker colors generally do have a higher copper content than lighter colors. I'm just saying for a given product line, I've never noticed any difference in performance from one color to the next.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 15:45   #17

Boat: Irwin 40
My understanding is the paint manufactures are switching to more eco friendly formulas. Talking to a guy who used to work for a paint company I was told they are using less volatile solvents such as denatured alcohol instead of acetone. These solvents do not flash off as fast so you may notice slower dry times and as mentioned a thicker consistency to the paints. Also they will have more water in them. Not sure if this has an effect on the anti fouling protection. I would contact the company or rep and see what they say. I am going to talk to some distributer I know and see if I can find out more. Mixing has always been important and I do not think that has changed but it could be the solids do not stay in suspension as well with the new solvents. Just when you think you get the hang of something they change it

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 18:23   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Yes, the red/brown and later black have always been the best colors, but the difference is very small today.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 01:24   #19

Boat: Marine Trader/34' "Molly Marie 2
I've been doing boat bottoms for years, and I know how to mix paint, I also know how to prep the hull. August 2009 I did the Molly Marie 2 and came to the keys and 45 days later my boat was wrapped up in barnacles. some say well your'e in the keys, well that dog won't hunt here. simple fact Brian Anger from Petit, said it should have lasted two years. He came and looked at the boat and took pictures, as well as I, but said that all petit would do is give me a gallon or two of paint, the rest of the expense is mine. Well, it appears to me some paint got a bad mix at the factory, and they(petit) won't own up to it. I even offered to split the bill, but now they will not answer my emails or phone calls??????????? never had any problem before in 40 years of boating, but you can rest assure I won't have any more problems with petit paint again. Captain Ben Ipock/Molly Marie 2/ Marathon, FL
bei1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 20:49   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Wow bummer, hope it is an isolated incident and I also hope you get some justice.
Erika
Old 31-05-2010, 22:02   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As is often the case in forums such as these, we only get one side of the story. Petit Trinidad is generally regarded as a superior anti fouling product. Is it possible that bei1111 got a bad batch of the stuff? I've never heard of that happening, but maybe. Is it also possible that he didn't do such a great job painting his boat's bottom, despite his claim of expertise? Of course it is. That one is a common tale. I'm sure if the Petit rep were to chime in, we'd hear a different story than the one posted here. Where does the truth lie? Who knows? Again, we'll only ever hear one side of the story.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:36   #22

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
[QUOTE=bei1111;460764] -- some say well your'e in the keys, well that dog won't hunt here. -- QUOTE]

Maybe so, but when I lived in Marathon the bottom growth situation was so bad that most of us were convinced that the manufacturers were scared to run tests in Boot Key Harbor.
Old 15-11-2019, 15:23   #23

Re: Trinidad SR - Bottom Paint Problem

Can anyone verify if Trinidad formulation is different in California?
pwilletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 15:36   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilletts View Post
Can anyone verify if Trinidad formulation is different in California?

Different than where?
Old 15-11-2019, 15:39   #25

well how about anywhere else in the US
pwilletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 16:00   #26

If you look at the Pettit website, there are two MSDS sheets for Trinidad SR. The one with Irgarol, and the one where Irgarol was replaced with PTFE.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had Irgarol last time, and PTFE this time, and that's the difference.

The Irgarol was very effective on slime growth, while the copper takes care of the hard growth.

You have slime growth, right? Which formula is your new paint?

The fact that Trinidad SR no longer had Irgarol, and reports of poor performance, were the reasons behind my switching to Interlux Micron 66 last haulout, nearly 3 years ago.

Interestingly, I have found that in years 1-2 there was very little difference between the paints. However, after 2 years the Trinidad SR (old formula) was performing really badly, while the ablative seems to be still working quite well. At the 3 year anniversary in March I'll decide whether to get a 4th year out of it.
Old 15-11-2019, 16:10   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
If you look at the Pettit website, there are two MSDS sheets for Trinidad SR. The one with Irgarol, and the one where Irgarol was replaced with PTFE.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had Irgarol last time, and PTFE this time, and that's the difference.

The Irgarol was very effective on slime growth, while the copper takes care of the hard growth.

You have slime growth, right? Which formula is your new paint?

The fact that Trinidad SR no longer had Irgarol, and reports of poor performance, were the reasons behind my switching to Interlux Micron 66 last haulout, nearly 3 years ago.

Interestingly, I have found that in years 1-2 there was very little difference between the paints. However, after 2 years the Trinidad SR (old formula) was performing really badly, while the ablative seems to be still working quite well. At the 3 year anniversary in March I'll decide whether to get a 4th year out of it.

All Trinidad SR now includes Irgarol.
Old 16-11-2019, 07:32   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
All Trinidad SR now includes Irgarol.
But did the batch he used contain it?
Old 16-11-2019, 07:36   #29
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
But did the batch he used contain it?

I was actually suggesting it to you 🤣
Old 18-11-2019, 13:00   #30

This thread is 10 years old. I'm assuming the OP is not still on the same paint.

Tags
bottom paint