Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 07:16   #31

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Re: Trick to filling epoxy syringes??

So, from what I am gathering, you do not wish to get the consistency to be much more than ketchup, maybe a little less so, and then just draw up it with the plunger of the syringe, and inject from there. Would the extra slow hardener be cooler to use once it kicks, this is my first time using this stuff so bear with me.

I will post my findings once all is said and done.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:54   #32

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Yup, ketchup-like viscosity. You only have small voids, so don't mix too much - just enough to do the job + 10%. If you use it within 10-20 mins (depending on ambient temperature) you shouldn't have any heat issues. A thin layer of epoxy does not become noticeably hot when curing, but 3/4" deep in a Dixie cup will melt the cup - kind of a 'critical mass' issue.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:13   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Did this once on large deck area with many holes and using the L shaped rig to clean out dead balsa from under deck area about 3x10 feet made 50 holes, huge pia.
Later cut the whole repair area out and did it right with honeycomb to replace balsa, then re glued deck. Point is I was impressed how little the epoxy I injected spread out. Virtually nothing. Dont bother or do it right. Injecting just doesn't work unless area is really small
Russ
^^ This
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:15   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

One other possibility is to vacuum infuse the areas that need repair but cutting out the rot and repairing it properly is the best way and not that big of a deal.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:50   #35

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
I have two small areas of delamination on my foredeck, and I plan on using syringes to inject epoxy through small holes. What I am trying to find out are there any tricks to filling the syringes with thickened epoxy that work well? I would rather not make a huge mess of things, or get more epoxy on me(rubber gloves) that actually in the syringe.
Also if you have delamination this won't really work man. You've got to cut the top skin off completely replace or let the core dry, then reattach the skin. Don't take shortcuts with this. It will only lead to pain and suffering later.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:19   #36

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
You have gravity working for you, mix epoxy resin with microbubbles, thin with MEK if needed to get the consistency of pancake batter, then use funnel.
I use funnels (cheap ones from auto parts store) or turkey basters to place expoxy resing mixed with chopped strand and microbubles. Use wax paper around the entry hole to catch drippings
I don't think epoxy responds well to MEK does it? I thought that was what you thinned polyester with. Epoxy needs to be mixes in specific ratios to hardener. I could be wrong here but....
Old 08-07-2017, 15:44   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Pull the plunger out, place a dime sized glob on a stir stick and push it in the tube.... kind of a scrapping motion from front to back of the tubes end. Repeat until full. It's quick and easy....but messy.

When finished, just pull the plunger out and in a few times, remove it and wipe the head with a paper towel. That's all it takes to be able to reuse them.

Matt
+1
We pot threaded inserts into composite panels this way. If you are working on a vertical surface use some masking tape and make a small dam underneath to catch the overflow. Then as soon as it gels you peal the tape and any excess epoxy away with a razor leaving a clean flush surface.
Cheers Tom
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy