Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 06:19   #1

Boat: dean 400 catamaran 40 ft Quick Silver
Transum aft hull repair.

Hi there anyone and everyone who can help.

I hv a dean 400 and where the port aft hull joins the aft transum there is a stress crack. ( the vertical inner part of the hull where the steps are and where it comes up and joins to the horizontal rear part of the transom ). This corner cracks whenever I repair it. I checked out the inside and the crack doesnt appear to go right thru. Is this a common stress point in cats and what can I do to add more support here so it stops cracking. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:29   #2

Re: Transum aft hull repair.

I have no sailboat experience, but I have done a ton of glass work on my sport fisher. In my experience, the areas I have repaired due to stress cracks all had voids under them from poor resin saturation or poor strand fill at the factory. These had to be ground out and filled. Based on the direction and shape of the cracks you should be able to tell what direction the joint is flexing and if needed perhaps install some bracing inside the hull to stiffen in up. Do the cracks appear in the same spot on the opposite hull? Perhaps a picture would help.

Tom
Tscott8201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull