Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2018, 15:33   #1

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Transmission for yammer 2gm 13 hp

A buddy of mine bought a c&c 30. First time with an inboard. He's asked for my help with some stuff and I'm over my head with the mechanical. It has a yammer 2gm. The transmission has an oil plug, but no markings for oil level, or specs on oil type.
Does anyone recognize the pics, and can give any info or recommendations?

He also asked about engine oil, my google ** has informed me it needs 10w30, 2l. Please correct if I'm wrong:-)
Any other knowledge is welcome too.
ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	Messaging1527459833836.jpeg
Views:	1016
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	170632Click image for larger version

Name:	Messaging1527459838836.jpeg
Views:	436
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	170633Click image for larger version

Name:	Messaging1527459273589.jpeg
Views:	1182
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	170634
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 15:51   #2

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Transmission for yammer 2gm 13 hp

Here are a few photos that may help. I've got the same engine. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_164725.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	170636Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_164751.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	170637Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_164830.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	170638
Temperature dependant, tranny uses same fluid.

Good luck,

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 15:59   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
It has a yammer 2gm.
I bet that your friend's engine is a Yanmar 2GM, as certified by the metal label attached to the engine.

The name 'Yanmar' was invented in 1921 by employees of 山岡発動機工作所 Yamaoka Engine Works. That's the company started by 山岡 孫吉 Yamaoka Magokichi (1888-1962/Meiji 21–Showa 37).

Yamaoka wanted to brand the engines he sold for hulling rice with the dragonfly (tomba), a traditional symbol of harvest time he remembered from his childhood working in rice fields with his father. The tomba tradename was already registered. An employee suggested the name oniyama, the ‘king’ of dragonflies. The ogre or demon prefix, オニ oni, was dropped from the insect name, leaving ヤンマ yanma, then the terminal vowel was lengthened to ヤンマー yanmā. Yamaoka also liked the proposed brand name because it sounded not dissimilar to his own family name. For international marketing, a terminal -r was added to lengthen the final vowel: Yanmar.

Yamaoka Magokichi was the sixth of seven children born to a poor rice-farming family. He attended compulsory elementary school 1894-1898, but his family’s resources and the limited opportunities in rural Japan meant he could only attend tutorial classes in 1898 and the second year of advanced elementary school in 1899.

In 1903 at age 15 and on a day when his father was absent from home working as a volunteer at the local temple, Yamaoka borrowed ¥3.60 from his mother Kuni (who had sold a 60 kg bag of rice to get the money) and, promising that he would only return when he had made ¥10,000, left for Osaka.

In Osaka, he lived and worked for 18 months as an apprentice in a photography studio, mounting photographs. He supplemented his meagre wage and board by fishing. While fishing at the Dojima River, Yamaoka met and befriended Okoshi Sentaro an employee of Osaka Gas Company 大阪瓦斯株式会社, leading to Yamaoka getting a job as a labourer laying pipe for Osaka Gas starting in April 1905.

Osaka Gas started operations in 1905, supplying town gas (gas manufactured by decarbonising coal in a coking oven) to domestic and industrial customers in Osaka; by October 1905 Osaka Gas had connected 3,351 customers to gas produced at their Iwasaki Plant. While working with Osaka Gas in 1905, Yamaoka for the first time saw an internal combustion engine, one fuelled by town gas.

Yamaoka realised the potential market for domestic and industrial gas appliances. From mid-1906 he started to sell and install rubber hose (to pipe gas to appliances) and gas appliances in his leisure time. By the end of 1906, Yamaoka had made a profit of nearly ¥1,000, allowing him to leave the employ of Osaka Gas and do business independently. At age 19, he rented a terrace house to use as his shop-office, had a telephone connected, and traded as Yamaoka Gasu Shokai (Yamaoka Gas Company). By age 25 in 1912, Yamaoka found repairing and reselling used gas engines had become a major part of his business. He rented land and on 22 March 1912 established Yamaoka Hatsudoki Kosakusho (Yamaoka Engine Works), employing seven or eight factory workers in addition to clerks. When a hydroelectric power station was opened to supply Osaka with electricity, gas-fuelled generator sets became redundant in the city. Yamaoka bought surplus gas-fuelled generator sets cheaply, reconditioned them, and sold them outside the urban electricity grid.

The demand for gas generator sets grew during World War I but collapsed at war’s end in 1918. Having accumulated savings over ¥300,000 Yamaoka returned triumphantly to his native village.

Back in Osaka after three months and with demand for gas-fuelled engines still in a slump, Yamaoka and his old friend Okoshi Sentaro converted a gas engine to run on petrol and set it up to hull rice.

In 1920-21 he explored other agricultural uses for petrol engines, including to power water pumps and shears (shearing wool from sheep), and developed a prototype 3 horsepower petrol engine under the Yanmā brand name.

Yamaoka displayed his pioneering rice huller, rice cleaner, and water pumps in local rural villages and at the 1922 Peace Commemoration Exhibition in Tokyo. In 1925, he added a petrol engine for fishing boats to his business line.

Business problems, including an incident in which one petrol engine exploded, and debts associated with overordering and a failed venture into trucking, caused Yamaoka to restructure his business as a public company in 1931.

In 1932, Yamaoka travelled along the Trans-Siberian Railway to visit the Leipzig trade fair in Germany. At the trade fair in March 1932, he watched a film promoting the first diesel engines made by Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg A.G. (MAN) and then visited the MAN factory in Augsburg. Yamaoka tried to find German or other European companies making diesel engines small (3-6 hp) and light enough to use in Japanese agriculture. He commissioned German companies to make such a diesel engine and a fuel injection pump for it.

On his return to Japan in July 1932, Yamaoka tried to develop a small diesel engine to replace the petrol engines. The engine he had commissioned to be made in Germany did not work. In early 1933, prototypes of 2-cycle mid-size (25-75 hp) diesel engines were completed – first one cylinder, then two, and finally three. In June 1933, a 4-cycle 10 hp engine started limited production. But success with small engines (3-5 hp) was elusive. After one year of failure marked more by black smoke than efficient combustion he gave up.

Resigned to his failure, he gave each employee ¥200 to take vacation at a hot spring resort. His workers refused the vacation and continued research and development. On 23 December 1933, the first 3 hp Yanmā diesel engine ran perfectly. In 1935, Yamaoka borrowed money from the Kobe branch of the Industrial Bank of Japan to establish a factory near the old Kanzaki railway station (now called Amagaski) to build what became the Yanmā HB engine.

The outbreak of the second Sino-Japanese war in 1937, when Japanese forces invaded Beijing and northern China, provided a massive boost to business. The Yanmā works was placed under the management of the Japanese Navy and a second diesel engine factory established at Nagahama.

By the end of World War II in 1945 the Yanmā factories had been bombed to ruins. After the war Yamaoka converted the Nagahama factory to produce agricultural machinery and rebuilt the Amagaski factory. Engines designed for naval ships were converted to generator sets and sold. After the war, a group of former Imperial Japanese Navy diesel engineers visited Yamaoka and begged for jobs. Yamaoka employed them and set them to work designing marinised diesel engines. In January 1947 that team completed the prototype of the first LB engine, a small (5-7 hp) vertical cylinder engine with an airtight valves-in-head design. Production went ahead at the Kanzaki Plant, which increasingly focused on marine diesels. In 1951, Yanmar launched the LD series of engines (15-90 hp) that consolidated the trend to converting the Japanese coastal fishing fleet to diesel inboard engines.

The WW2 victor nations allowed Japanese firms to start exporting goods from 1947. Exports reached their first peak in 1949, with stabilisation of the Japanese currency and the government encouraging exports to rebuild war-damaged Japan. Yanmar started exporting marine engines for yachts in 1971.

In 1953 Yamaoka revisited the MAN Diesel works in Germany. Aware that Germany had no memorial to Dr Rudolf Diesel – perhaps because of German attitudes to suicide – Yamaoka funded construction of a Japanese rock garden and a bronze relief of Dr Diesel in Augsburg to fill the gap. In 1955, the German Inventors’ Association awarded Yamaoka Magokichi their Diesel Gold Medal. In 1957, Federal Germany awarded Yamaoka the Cross of the Order of Merit.

The GM engine series, a direct injection marine engine with low fuel consumption and high output based on a vertical cylinder tractor engine, was introduced to the market in January 1980. The GM series were lightweight, compact, and reliable, creating a good reputation among cruisers worldwide.
Old 27-05-2018, 16:24   #4

Thanks goat, exactly what I was hoping for.
Alan, wow that's a very detailed explanation over a typo. As the pic shows, yes "yanmar" my phone just auto corrected
Old 27-05-2018, 16:28   #5

Boat: Compass 28

Thanks for that excellent history of Yanmar Alan. Now I know where my 2gM's "Kanzaki" transmission comes from.

chris mac: Yanmar recommend using the same SAE30 oil as the engine for the transmission. I use the Yanmar branded stuff, as it's about the only thing they sell that isn't absurdly over-priced. The tranny dip-stick (!!! wtf?) has a ring on it which indicates correct fill level (it takes 200ml).

I can help you with manuals if you care to pm me.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 17:13   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

10W-30 is a very unusual grade for Diesel oil. 10W-30 is most likely gas engine oil, be sure it’s for a Diesel.
You can run 15W-40 or I’d run straight 30 W weight myself and change it often.
These are old design Diesel engines, and run fine in old design motor oil, like straight weight 30. It is temp dependent, just most of us don’t use our boat in real cold weather.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 19:05   #7

Boat: S2 9.1

I have the same engine and transmission. Very reliable however the transmission has a "cone" in it rather than gears.

I had to have my cone replaced a couple of years ago and I may have been partly responsible as I did not put in the correct oil. When they replaced the cone the mechanic stressed that you must not over fill the transmission. Just to the line and no more, he said overfilling leads to wear on the cone which is expensive to replace.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 19:26   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
I have the same engine and transmission. Very reliable however the transmission has a "cone clutch" in it rather than gears a flat plate or disc clutch. The gearbox operates on a constant mesh principle meaning all gears are meshed at all times, there is fwd / reverse cone cutch that transfers drive to one set or the other set of gears.

I had to have my cone replaced a couple of years ago and I may have been partly responsible as I did not put in the correct oil. When they replaced the cone the mechanic stressed that you must not over fill the transmission. Just to the line and no more, he said overfilling leads to wear on the cone which is expensive to replace.
There, I fixed it for you .
And your mechanic is correct
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 19:36   #9

Boat: Compass 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
I have the same engine and transmission. Very reliable however the transmission has a "cone" in it rather than gears.

While your wrong choice of oil may have contributed (especially if it was a really slippery one), don't be too hard on yourself. Glazing (and consequent slippage) of the cones is just part of the life-cycle of these units. Fixing it yourself is not all that hard if you are reasonably mechanically adept.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 00:55   #10

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Thanks for that excellent history of Yanmar Alan. Now I know where my 2gM's "Kanzaki" transmission comes from.
Kanzaki is the rural district in which Yamaoka Magokichi was born (then in Shiga prefecture; most of the former Kanzaki district is now urban and part of Higashiomi city).

After developing in December 1933 the prototype for the first 3-5 hp small diesel engine, Yamaoka Magokichi needed capital to establish a factory and tooling for production.

In January 1935, Yamaoka bought land near the Kanzaki railway station (now named the Amagasaki Station), for his new factory.

Aware that he needed at least ¥1.2 million capital, Yamaoka applied to several banks.

Each rejected his proposal.

On the brink of needing to sell his business to cover debt, in May 1935 Yamaoka met Sasayama Tadao, manager of the Kobe branch of the Industrial Bank of Japan, and made a presentation to him that took four hours.

Sasayama considered and researched the proposal for 10 days before approving it and suggesting that he was prepared to extend the loan to ¥3 - 5 million.

In January 1936, the Kanzaki Plant of the Yamaoka Nainenki Kabushikigaisha (Yamaoka Internal Combustion Engine Co. Ltd) opened, producing the Yanmā S (S for ‘small’) series of diesel engines from 1.5 hp to 5 hp.

After Japan’s surrender at the end of WW2, the Kanzaki Plant was scheduled to be transferred to the victors as war reparations.

Yamaoka argued that Japanese industry and agriculture needed tooling and diesel engine production for survival.

The reparation order was lifted.

In May 1947, Kanzaki Kokyukoki Manufacturing Works (ヤンマーディーゼル(株)or 神崎高级工机制作所, Kanzaki Quality Manufacturing Works) was established to repair war-damaged machine tools and produce jigs and tooling. Kanzaki Kokyukoki Manufacturing Works is located in 尼崎市 Amagasaki City, in Hyogo prefecture.

Kanzaki Kokyukoki Manfacturing started making gearboxes for Yanmar in 1956.
Old 28-05-2018, 06:19   #11

Boat: PSC Orion 27

[QUOTE=chris mac;2640016].....Any other knowledge is welcome too......
Thanks

Hahaha, careful what you ask for on this site!

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 07:54   #12

[QUOTE=goat;2640363]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
.....Any other knowledge is welcome too......
Thanks

Hahaha, careful what you ask for on this site!

goat
Yup, I should know better by now.
Old 28-05-2018, 09:49   #13

Boat: Pearson

I and some good diesel mechanics use 15-40 delo same as engine, delo has some properties that absorb sulfur deposits, I was told at oil seminar.
Old 28-05-2018, 14:25   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Yanmar says straight 30wt oil in the Kanzaki transmission. It's been awhile since I messed with the transmission but remember there was some kind of fill indicator on the cap. Be very careful with the plastic cap. They are easy to muck up and difficult to remove when done so. The problem with the indicator is fresh oil is fairly transparent and nearly impossible to read the level. Doesn't get much better with use as the transmission oil doesn't get the contaminants of engines. Best thing is to measure out the amount of oil spec'd by the manual in a separate container and pour that in.

When I bought my boat there was one of the few independent Yanmar service dealers in the country in Oakland. Every one with a Yanmar or familiar with working on themsaid to go to them not the licensed dealers. It was run by a women who'd been in the business for ages with her husband. She seemed to know everything there was to know about the GM Series. When I told her I wanted to service the engine she set me up with the filters, diesel oil for the engine and 30 weight auto oil for transmission and an admonition not to overfill it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 15:31   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Z View Post
I and some good diesel mechanics use 15-40 delo same as engine, delo has some properties that absorb sulfur deposits, I was told at oil seminar.

It was the “old”formulation of Diesel oil, CD I believe, and it’s not just 15W-40 but all the old CD oils.
Anyway what happens with high sulphur fuel is the sulphur forms acid when it burns, likely sulphuric acid? Anyway the old formulation of oil had a high TBN or Total Base Number, that is a lot of stuff that would neutralize acid, often it was zinc.
However the “stuff”that neutralized acid also poisons catalysts that many new generation road Diesels have so the new formulation of Diesel oils have a much lower TBN to protect the catalysts and theoretically don’t need it cause the fuel is ultra low sulphur.
Diesel oil has always been an excellent gasoline engine oil too, but its use was discouraged cause if you burned oil, You would lose your catalytic converter, but in engines with no catalyst, the old formulation of Diesel oil is still excellent oil.

Many, many high performance motorcycle enthusiasts have run Diesel oil for years and its excellent, I run it in my cars and have for years, but seeing as how they do not burn oil, I have had no catalytic converters problems.

I think CD oil is long gone, these I believe are the newer Diesel oils
https://dieselnet.com/tech/lube_classifications.php
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, transmission