Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2018, 16:01   #16

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Transmission for yammer 2gm 13 hp

[QUOTE=chris mac;2640416]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Yup, I should know better by now.
That being the case, I'll not tell you the story of the Paul brothers and Willem Hendrik den Outen, who built the company Vetus den Ouden B.V. and became a big supplier of parts and gear to those of us who are customers in the recreational marine sector of the world economy.

That's relevant because in 2013 Yanmar bought Vetus den Ouden. Part of the consolidation of capitalists in the recreational marine industry.

But if you prefer being ignorant ...
Old 28-05-2018, 16:22   #17
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Alan Almighty, thanks for the history lesson. Awesome.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 16:57   #18

I have a 1 GM which I purchased in 1985 when a company was going belly up ($1200 AUD - bargain) I sold the Kanzaki gear box and installed a lay shaft. The cone clutch gearbox was wanted by a pilot who had ruined his gearbox due to oil problems - not sure of the details. The lay shaft has run a number of devices such as a water pump">raw water pump , a freezer compressor (Tecumseh 1000), a small low pressure air compressor for diving and a 240 VAC alternator (off the pulley wheel at the front). Being a propulsion engine, it is throttle speed controlled and has no automatic RPM control system so the 240 VAC alternator requires manual speed adjustment under load.For many years it was run twice a day while we lived outside marinas so it took a serious flogging.
The issues I had were, a cracked piston, inbuilt water pump the starter button, starting motor and 12 VDC alternator and the exhaust manifold. The Yanmar parts were outrageously expensive and where possible I replaced them with alternatives. However I was always careful to follow their oil advice. As a sign of respect, I recently painted it a cheery blue. Can't complain.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 20:56   #19

Boat: PSC Orion 27

[QUOTE=Alan Mighty;2640696]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post

That being the case, I'll not tell you the story of the Paul brothers and Willem Hendrik den Outen, who built the company Vetus den Ouden B.V. and became a big supplier of parts and gear to those of us who are customers in the recreational marine sector of the world economy.

That's relevant because in 2013 Yanmar bought Vetus den Ouden. Part of the consolidation of capitalists in the recreational marine industry.

Hey, that's not my reply!

Anyhoo, giv'er buddy, no hard feelings.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 08:08   #20

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

[QUOTE=Alan Mighty;2640696]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post

Alan, I apologize if I offended you. I do not choose to live in ignorance, but of course must choose what I wish to learn as it is impossible to know everything.
The topic of this thread was to gather information on maintenance of my friends engine. If this was not clear to you then feel free to blame my wording choice in the original post.
I'm glad you enjoy the near 100 year history of yanmar. Others have seemed to enjoy what you have to say. It might be a good idea to start your own thread on that topic. "History of sailing equipment" or along those lines. I will probably even read it, and I'm sure others will.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 08:25   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Chris, threads don’t often stay on topic, they “drift”.
This place is a place to gain knowledge, but also entertainment, as long as it’s meant in good nature and not offensive a little drift is fine.
As a side note, their post functions to keep bringing your thread to the top of the pile so to speak and give it way more visibility for people to read and comment on.
Often purely technical threads very quickly fall off of the first page and die on their own, so the side remarks help keep your thread alive.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 09:33   #22

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
When I bought my boat there was one of the few independent Yanmar service dealers in the country in Oakland.
Rover, whats the name of this shop? Is it still in business in Oakland? I tend to go to one in Sausalito but would be nice to know of a place that's more local.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 11:32   #23

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Chris, threads don’t often stay on topic, they “drift”.
This place is a place to gain knowledge, but also entertainment, as long as it’s meant in good nature and not offensive a little drift is fine.
As a side note, their post functions to keep bringing your thread to the top of the pile so to speak and give it way more visibility for people to read and comment on.
Often purely technical threads very quickly fall off of the first page and die on their own, so the side remarks help keep your thread alive.
Understood, and I agree. Which is why I apologized, he did seem offended by my earlier comment.
His info was of value, which was why a recomended a dedicated thread to it.
Thread drift also makes for some of the most interesting reading on the forum. And as always I did get the info I was looking for and a lot of help from the members here.
All is good:-)
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 11:59   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Rover, whats the name of this shop? Is it still in business in Oakland? I tend to go to one in Sausalito but would be nice to know of a place that's more local.
Unfortunately it's history. Think the women died a year or two after I dealt with her. Knew she had health issues when I was dealing with her. She was very much a one women show and the business died with her. Too bad because she was a big help to any issues I had with my Yanmar.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 12:07   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

To cause a bit of drift. Was looking at Mobil 1 oil on display at Costco. There were a number of different multi weight oils marked for gas engines only. The 10W30 oil had no such admonition. Wonder if that oil is suitable for a diesel since it didn't say it wasn't??? None of the oils had the traditional letter codes for types of engines that they worked with. Tried the Mobil website but it was useless.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 19:56   #26

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I found a complete printable manual on line, over 400 pages.
It covers engine and transmission for Yanmar 1gm, 2gm, 3gm, 3hm.
I will get post the web site when i get to work tomorrow.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, transmission