Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 11:22   #1

transmission fluid for borg warner?

hello i have a 41' formosa ketch just bought and i am going through the boat. i have a perkins 4107 with a borg warner behind it. the id plate is worn off and i do not know what model it is. i am trying to change the fluid and not sure what to use,

i have heard everything from Dextron III to 30 weight oil, to any type of hydraulic fluid. does any one know?

thanks
2BIRDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 15:13   #2

Boat: Hermann Lazyjack 32 schooner
Re: transmission fluid for borg warner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BIRDS View Post
i have heard everything from Dextron III to 30 weight oil, to any type of hydraulic fluid. does any one know?
We have a Perkins 4.108 with a 1:1 Borg Warner Velvet Drive transmission. Actually, the Dextron/motor oil answer is right, at least for our engine. Motor oil is suggested is running the engine consistently at lower RPMs. We were specifically warned against mixing them, though. We've been using Dextron and it's been fine.

I'd suggest searching around the Internet to find a copy of the Perkins manual for your engine. We found several sources for the 4.108 so I'd expect you'll find one for the 4.107. The manual will specify which fluid to use, ours did.
MikeTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 16:20   #3

Boat: csy 37
Re: transmission fluid for borg warner?

i've got the same engine/transmission. my borg warner manual specifically states dextron automatic transmission fluid. there is no mention of motor oil or hydraulic fluid.

you won't find this information in the perkins manual, (i have that too). the perkins manual is for the engine, not the transmission. it is in the borg warner manual that the po thankfully left on the boat for me.

the engine of course uses diesel grade motor oil. i've been using rotella t 15w-40 for seven years now and am perfectly happy with it. the perkins manual recommends chainging the oil and filter every 150 hours but i do mine every 100 hours. if you haven't run the engine for several months (being on the hard, for instance) change the oil when you go back in regardless of the hours. i've been buying my filters from napa which are actually made by wik - considered by many to be the best - and it only costs a few dollars more.

i also change my racor fuel filters every 100 hours although the book recommends 300. don't know if that's really necessary but what the heck, it makes me feel better....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission