Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2010, 13:12   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Touching-Up Varnished Interior Teak

I am considering the purchase of a Bristol 35.5. The interior is almost 100% teak, and about 70% of the teak is in great condition. The other 30% which includes the edges of some of the cabinets, chart table and floor looks as though the varnish has been scratched off over the years. I believe the varnish finish is original as the owner states that he has never touched it in 17 years.

So my question is how do I make the interior look new? Can I simply sand the wood where it is exposed and touch it up with a few coats of varnish followed by one coat over everything or will this look blotchy. Or will I need to strip the entire interior to get a uniform finish?

I prefer and oiled interior, which is incredibly easy to touch up. How difficult will fixing the varnish be and how good can it look without completely striping it?

jcallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 13:55   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 16,509
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
if you donot want to use varnish--- try cleaning the teak then application of watco teakoil
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 14:04   #3
Registered User
matauwhi's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Boat: Mason 53
Posts: 636
G'day, John, Yes, you can touch up the areas as you have suggested. Increase the area of the patch a tad between each coat. Our table had a few such areas and it turned out o.k. Cheeres.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	22080  
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refinishing Interior Teak - Hand-Rubbed Poly Good? Herrick Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 23-01-2010 15:54
Interior Teak Repair Curmudgeon Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 10-08-2009 15:05
Cleaning Varnished Teak? ssullivan Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 05-06-2008 22:31
cedar instead of teak for interior ? Aquah0lic Monohull Sailboats 6 17-08-2007 08:58

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:07.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.