Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2019, 11:29   #1

Boat: Vivacity 20
Total newbie

After a life in the horse world, I’ve made a ten year plan to get into sailing (the one and only thing I know about sailing is that nothing happens quickly). I’m on year two of my ten year plan to becoming a proficient sailor, and just bought my little 20’ cruiser. It’s seaworthy according to my knowledgeable friends, but needs a complete restoration. I’m handy, for a gal, good-ish with tools, work in construction, not afraid of hard work, and fairly realistic about the long road that is ahead of me. That said, I have literally NEVER sailed and really know nothing.

Anyone have recommendations of where to begin? I plan to ask lots of questions and read lots of threads and articles to find way way through the restoration and have registered for sailing classes this summer at the local maritime school, but any recommendations of reading materials or resources to begin my education? Sailing for Dummies type of thing, resources on restoring a sailboat, fiction or nonfiction books that will introduce me to the wonderful world of sailing. Currently reading “Swell” by Captain Liz Clark and can’t put it down, but as I am literally just learning where port, bow, starboard and stern are, I could probably use some guidance! If it is of any import, I am located on the south coast of Massachusetts.
TheLastUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 15:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Total newbie

Was where you are in a previous millennia. Sail the boat every chance you get, read a lot from a variety of sources from sailing magazines to cruising logs. Ask questions when you need help. Oh and if I didn't mention it, sail the hell out of the boat. Nothing beats OJT to learn. A 20' boat is small enough to quickly see the consequences of your inputs but large enough to do a bit of venturing.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 16:28   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Sailing for Dummies isn't a bad choice, although I know you said it as a joke.

YouTube is good for renovation -- binge watch Sail Life from the start to see restoration jobs. You will find plenty more.

Find people to go out on your boat with as much as you can. That's the best way to learn.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 16:32   #4

“Sail Life” is on YouTube? I signed up at the local Maritime School for a sailing course this summer, but not sure when they start up. Awaiting further info from them. I have knowledgeable sailing friends, but while they pledge a great deal of support, they have their own lives and presently, I find myself in this solitaire. Which is totally fine. I am sure I will make friends along the way.
Old 24-04-2019, 16:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Was where you are in a previous millennia. Sail the boat every chance you get, read a lot from a variety of sources from sailing magazines to cruising logs. Ask questions when you need help. Oh and if I didn't mention it, sail the hell out of the boat. Nothing beats OJT to learn. A 20' boat is small enough to quickly see the consequences of your inputs but large enough to do a bit of venturing.
I plan to “sail the hell out of the boat”. For better or for worse... As for being from a “previous millienia,” not sure what that refers to, but my best answer is “perhaps”! I certainly don’t find this millennia a particularly good fit for me.

At any rate, I think I’m a good six weeks from the water, with the fact that I have demoed the rub rail off the boat and am currently engaged in scraping and sanding the hull. Need to gather the data necessary to properly restore the hull (fiberglass, in good shape, just in need of fresh paint), install a new rub rail, and then, I think, we can get wet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF2B5D59-3292-4FAA-9F8F-6971589399EF.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	190759  
Old 24-04-2019, 16:46   #6

“Sailing for Dummies” is on order!
Old 24-04-2019, 18:09   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

The amount of sailing information available online is mind boggling. It’s never been easier to get things sorted out. It seems like there is a YouTube video for every sailing or boat related question.

You have a good size boat to learn on. Once you start sailing, you will quickly learn the ropes

If “situational awareness “ comes easy to you, your sailing life will be easier. It will keep you from making unnecessary mistakes.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 04:04   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Unicorn.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 05:15   #9

Boat: Hunter 170

So I am just starting with a Hunter 170.

Had a siton ski in the 90's. The one thing I was taught was how to read the waves looking for shallows. That helps keep from grounding.
When I did a 2 hour lesson the guy pointed out how to read the waves for the wind. It was surprising how there would be dead spots that your are in and you could see another breeze heading your way by looking at the water.

Since those 2 lessons I found I am always watching the water and seeing those patterns. Kind of simple stuff, but I think they are two things that will keep me out of troubles.

Good luck and have fun.
ShoreFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 05:21   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

Just like in the horse world you are bound to get bucked off once or twice. But get back out there and keep learning. I have scared the pants of myself more times than I can count on the water, but I still keep sailing.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 06:10   #11

Boat: Admiral Executive 38’ Catamaran

Welcome,

Gary Jobson has a "Sailing Fundamentals" book you might find helpful now.

ASA is another source for training. They have a nicely developed curriculum that can take you from newbie to Charter level and to offshore sailing depending how deep you'd like ot go.

US Sailing also has courses and is very supportive of racing if that interests you.

As you progress, Chapman's Piloting and The Annapolis Book of Seamaship will be something you might want to read from cover to cover and then keep on board.

Good luck
Act Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 06:23   #12

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42DS

You state “(the one and only thing I know about sailing is that nothing happens quickly). ”.

You can forget about the “one” thing you know about sailing. There are a multitude of “things” that happen with incredible speed on a sailboat. A horizontal wind sheer will make you a believer in lightning fast. An accidental gybe can cause you to change your shorts...
Old 25-04-2019, 06:31   #13

Boat: Tartan 4100

I would also suggest that you find a slot to crew on a race boat. You can learn quite a bit about sail trim, navigation strategies, wind angles etc.....but most importantly, you'll learn what a sailboat can actually handle. Many times, the boat can take more than the people sailing it! just make sure the captain is tolerant of a newbie and not a Captain Bligh, some can be real A-Holes.

Welcome aboard as well! Looks like a Westerly sailboat?
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 06:38   #14

Boat: Tartan 4100

If you haven't already seen it, you may want to look into the book "This Old Boat" by Don Casey, it's full of all sorts of information about re-habbing an old boat.

https://www.amazon.com/This-Old-Boat...gateway&sr=8-1
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 17:44   #15

Tonight, studied and took the ASA “Your First Sail” course. Purchased “Sailing for Dummies”. Last night, watched “Maidentrip”.