Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2019, 09:43   #16

Boat: Vivacity 20
Re: Total newbie

I don’t know what a Westerly is but she’s a Vivacity 20. I don’t know much yet, but my handlers approved it for a first boat. I have easy access to sailing classes that I will be taking in smaller boats, but my dream was a cruiser with a good sized cabin, but small enough to be manageable for a novice and a woman of smaller stature.
TheLastUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 10:41   #17

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
I would also suggest that you find a slot to crew on a race boat. You can learn quite a bit about sail trim, navigation strategies, wind angles etc.....but most importantly, you'll learn what a sailboat can actually handle. Many times, the boat can take more than the people sailing it! just make sure the captain is tolerant of a newbie and not a Captain Bligh, some can be real A-Holes.

Welcome aboard as well! Looks like a Westerly sailboat?
I second this recommendation. 1 or 2 years sailing on race boats will teach you more than any other approach. You will go out in all kinds of weather. You will have experienced people who will teach you (mostly by doing), and like Tortuga says, you will learn that all kinds of scary situations can be handled without much problem or drama. You will learn sailing skills. And being on a race crew is inexpensive, you might need to buy some foulies and bring some beers, but otherwise the owner picks up all the costs.

You can then apply these to your own boat, and learn how to do those things which were easy for five people when it is only you or one or two friends as crew. The hardest thing after being a racer to learn is how to go slow, but that's possible too.

Finding a spot on a race crew is as easy as calling the yacht clubs and finding out when they are having races. Then go to the parking lot about an hour before the race and ask everyone you see getting out of a car and heading to the docks if they need crew. You don't have experience but you'll probably get a ride based on enthusiasm alone. If you are reliable and sort of handy you'll get asked back. Even if they don't need you again, at least you will be a little more experienced. Be willing to commit to the whole program, the captain will treasure someone who will always be there, but don't be afraid to change boats if the captain or crew are not fun to sail with.

You really have two projects going on, learning to sail and restoring your boat. Don't sacrifice the sailing part to spend all your time doing construction work. Get out and sail (race) every week if you can. When your boat is ready you will be also.

Over the years we have had several people with little skill and less confidence join our crews from place to place. It is amazing how they will grow in a year of racing, and how many have told us how much better they feel about their own sailing skills after racing with us for a while.

Oh, there is this also: your mates on the racing crew will become your good friends. For us, they become like family.
Old 27-04-2019, 12:08   #18

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I believe you are on the right course to gain experience and confidence in your abilities and what your vessel will handle. With more miles under my keel than I want to admit and many offshore passages, I am still learning! Chapman’s was my bible growing up, by the way!
Just keep at it and take small bites but don’t give up or listen to neysayers who can get you down without adding anything to your growing knowledge.
I have found that over the years CF has been a great source of advice and knowledge especially to new comers like yourself. There are many aboard here who are gifted, articulate and generous with their advice, not all of it sound but you can always separate the fly **** from the pepper without too much difficulty. Feel free to PM me if you have questions that are not appropriate for this forum.
Welcome aboard, Unicorn!
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 12:14   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastUnicorn View Post
(the one and only thing I know about sailing is that nothing happens quickly). .
Well bad things happen very quickly.

But overall it's the most expensive to get somewhere.......................... slowly

good luck, really!!