Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2013, 21:11   #1

Boat: 2005 Beneteau 331
Torflex Axles on my new trailer

I'm getting trailer made for my Catalina 25. I'm going bit overboard as I'm asking for tandem 5500 lbs axles. But i figure if i end up getting bit larger boat, i'll be able to keep the trailer.

Anyways... my question is about Torflex axles.... the guy that's building my trailer is highly recommending those. The reason he asked me if I want it as he usually charges extra for those, but his supplier is selling them for the same price.

Would you recommend to go for Torflex? or should i stick with traditional leaf spring?

Background:
It's for Catalina 25 fixed keel. Will never be trailer launched. Always around fresh water.

Looking forward to your feedback.
szymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 04:55   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Torflex Axles on my new trailer

I have torsion axles on my trailer (31' boat) and like them a lot. Not sure if they are a huge difference over leaf springs, but they do seem to track well on the highway and absorb impact well.

If you do get them, look for the Eliminator galvanized ones.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 06:46   #3

Boat: Lock Crowthers, Buccaneer, B26
Quote:
Originally Posted by szymek View Post

Anyways... my question is about Torflex axles.... the guy that's building my trailer is highly recommending those. The reason he asked me if I want it as he usually charges extra for those, but his supplier is selling them for the same price.

Would you recommend to go for Torflex? or should i stick with traditional leaf spring?

Background:
It's for Catalina 25 fixed keel. Will never be trailer launched. Always around fresh water.

Looking forward to your feedback.
I switched my J22 fixed keel trailer from leaf spring axle to Torsion axle and found it lowered the center of gravity (which is good if you have a fixed keel) and the overall handling on the highway was a lot smoother with very little sway. I trailer launched my J22 with the extending tongue for many years until I sold it. The current owner when he drove down the highway with my trailer for the first time said he stopped and got out to make sure he had hooked the hitch up because the ride was so smooth. I will be switching my B26Trimaran trailer to Torsion axles this winter.

Try to find this Book "Trailers How to Design & Build" 1993 by M.M. Smith. The ISBN: 0-914483-31-5

Cheers
B26Trimaran
B26Trimaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 08:28   #4

Thanks Cormorant and B26.

This is really giving me something to think about. I will pick up the book as well.

Based on doing some reading online seems like they're great axles.... the only thing that I'm worried about is that they don't equalize the weight as well as leaf spring axles as they're independent - C25 is quite heavy for trailer able boat (over 5k lbs). Also impact on the rubber by having all the weight sitting on it for extended durations. For instance once the boat comes out of the water this October she'll sit on the trailer for 1.5 years as next year I won't be able to sail.
Old 18-08-2013, 08:35   #5

In the off-season I jack up my trailer till the wheels are off the ground and put blocks under the frame. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I figure it gives the torsion elastic a break, and ditto for point loads on the bearings.
Old 18-08-2013, 08:42   #6

Make sure you never damage a spindle on a Torflex axle! Unless the design has changed, a damaged spindle requires replacing the entire axle.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 09:08   #7

Boat: Lock Crowthers, Buccaneer, B26
Quote:
Originally Posted by szymek View Post
Thanks Cormorant and B26.

Based on doing some reading online seems like they're great axles.... the only thing that I'm worried about is that they don't equalize the weight as well as leaf spring axles as they're independent - C25 is quite heavy for trailer able boat (over 5k lbs).

Should not be a problem your trailer builder will adjust
for weight when he installs the axle.

Also impact on the rubber by having all the weight sitting on it for extended durations. For instance once the boat comes out of the water this October she'll sit on the trailer for 1.5 years as next year I won't be able to sail.
Again should not be a problem. I had all the same questions when I researched switching axles. Once you drive with the new axles you will enjoy pulling the trailer and bumps and holes will not be felt as badly because of the independent suspension. What kind of brakes will you have on the new trailer? ( disc or drum)
B26Trimaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 15:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Make sure you never damage a spindle on a Torflex axle! Unless the design has changed, a damaged spindle requires replacing the entire axle.

The ones on my trailer (Eliminators from Tie Down Engineering) have a removable spindle threaded into the torsion arm.

I keep meaning to buy a spare spindle to keep on hand in case of emergency, but haven't yet. . . .
Old 18-08-2013, 20:25   #9

I've asked to go with Electric brakes on both axles. I haven't asked him whether it's drum or disc - to be honest i assumed it will be drum.

The torsion axles that he has are Dexter Torflex.
Old 19-08-2013, 02:28   #10

So long as you're not going to be trailer launching, the Dexters will probably be fine. I tried those for a few years on my trailer when I first built it, and they rusted something terrible. . . . But I was launching in salt water repeatedly, which eventually led me to those galvanized Eliminators.

I don't think the Dexters have a replaceable spindle, but that's not a deal-breaker. Just be careful not to, say, misjudge a corner and get one wheel stuck up on a curb where it bears all the weight of one side of the trailer. That can bend a spindle. . . . Ask me how I know.
Old 20-08-2013, 17:22   #11

I confirmed the Axles today. They're Kober Corp Elkhart Ind. 5200lbs

To be quite honest I was leaning towards leaf spring axles. But Based on feedback Cormorant and B26 I decided to give it a try. I talked to the guy that will build the trailer for me and he would build whatever I want.... but he did recommend to do some reading about those axles as he strongly recommends them.

I tried to find out whether spindle is replaceable on those, but it doesn't seem like it. :-(