Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2018, 11:13   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Topside finish is chalky - need temp fix

The topside of my Tashiba-31 is pretty rough. No cracks or gouges, but the finish is chalky to the point where the wash water is white when I wash it. The port is telling me that I can't let this water into the bay. I'm looking for suggestions for correcting this problem at least temporarily until I can afford to have her dry docked.

Here is what I'm considering for now - use rags to wash down the topside and ring the rags out into a bucket. This goes ashore to the haz dump. Once clean, use rubbing compound to remove chalking, then follow up with a good wax.

Is there a better approach to this?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Topside finish is chalky - need temp fix

Go out at anchor and give it a good is oxalic acid bath let it sit for a few minutes keeping it wet then finds with lots of water from the bay.
Btw what marina ?
If still here anchor out west of the ferry terminal.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:28   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico

It sounds like you have oxidized gel coat. I have used Flood Penetrol to restore fiberglass - it is a paint additive, but it makes the oxidized gelcoat shinier and less chalky. I think it might be what you need. Try a small sample area first.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 13:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

That stuff washing off into the marina is about as inert as a material can get - it's just sinking down into the muck. I suggest asking your marina people what specific regulation they are referring to - and I'll bet they have no basis for any comment other than their own intuition. I'd say, "it's just water - no hazmats involved" until they can prove you wrong. Aren't you just across the Strait from Vancouver, where they still dump the city's raw sewage into the Salish Sea?

Here's the definitive guide for restoring your gelcoat to shiny perfection, but I warn you it is serious work - https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...ff-wax.117266/ MaineSail is a master, and I've followed his advice for years.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 13:23   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Compounding it and waxing it will buy you some time, but now that the gelcoat is starting to fail you're going to face a decision about how to remedy it if you want to keep the boat. You're faced with either relatively frequent waxing to keep the gelcoat sealed, or painting.

If it's stained in areas, I would do as newhaul recommends and wash it down with oxalic acid. That would probably be a good idea before compounding anyway to get contaminants off.

And don't think you're going to be able to buff it back to what you might consider an acceptable shine. Get the chalk off and move onto the wax.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 13:33   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

dmk sails,

Stop, don't panic. Don't start rubbing it out. If the gelcoat is only chalky, and has not been ground before, there's a relatively easy temporary fix. It is what we did with chalky gelcoat on our first Insatiable. The product you use is called PolyGlo (no affiliation with the company) or TSRW (This Stuff Really Works). We used the PG, it is in two parts, a mild acid wash and a polymer. You apply it with the applicator provided, and it can be done in the water on a still day. Follow the directions. In our application, it lasted from one haulout to the next. It is way less work than anything else. Jim used to do it himself in one afternoon, on a 36 footer. IMO, it looks better, longer, than cut, polish, and wax. Sailorboy1 has a thread here about his use of it. (Use the CF Google Custom Search, in the Search menu.) The issue has been addressed here before, you'll find quite a few threads.

Ann
Old 04-05-2018, 13:36   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Topside finish is chalky - need temp fix

Tell them the white stuff is talc.....and to go away.....nicely.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:42   #8

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
dmk sails,

Stop, don't panic. Don't start rubbing it out. If the gelcoat is only chalky, and has not been ground before, there's a relatively easy temporary fix. It is what we did with chalky gelcoat on our first Insatiable. The product you use is called PolyGlo (no affiliation with the company) or TSRW (This Stuff Really Works). We used the PG, it is in two parts, a mild acid wash and a polymer. You apply it with the applicator provided, and it can be done in the water on a still day. Follow the directions. In our application, it lasted from one haulout to the next. It is way less work than anything else. Jim used to do it himself in one afternoon, on a 36 footer. IMO, it looks better, longer, than cut, polish, and wax. Sailorboy1 has a thread here about his use of it. (Use the CF Google Custom Search, in the Search menu.) The issue has been addressed here before, you'll find quite a few threads.

Ann
Another strong vote for PolyGlo.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a miracle product. I was refurbishing a 30 year old sailboat last summer, and it really is a night and day difference. Brings the deep luster & shine back, and completely eliminates chalkiness. I plan to use it once a year. Passersby asked if it was a new boat. I'd compound polish it, and put on about 7 coats of Polyglow. The coats go on very thin and quick. I also have a center-console fishing boat, and I'm putting PolyGlo on that boat this season. Good Luck!

I should add, I put it on the topsides, hull, and non-skid of my entire boat. In my experience, it does not make the non-skid slippery at all, and it doesn't leave any unbuffed white wax like residue on the non-skid depressions. It's like a tough clear liquid surface, and dries as clear as it applies.

I think once you try it, you will not use anything else. Completely replaces wax. I would use it on my cars, but evidently it is not for use on painted surfaces. I have hear there is a version for use on cars recently.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:44   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 schooner

I swear by Island Girl Products, have used them for years on gelcoat and awlgrip. He has a product for non-skid that I've used with good results. ISLAND GIRL - Simply Superior products for detailing cars, RVs, boats and more - 22 years in business! and home to world famous SEA GLOW? Cleanser-Conditioner | ISLAND GIRL® Products
rogern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:24   #10

It sounds like your approach is good. The PT Townsend port wont let you wash a boat? Really? Sometimes you are better to plead ignorance, unless they actually have a stated rule no boat washing.
I would just scrub it good, then you need to compound it like you mentioned. Anything else is temporary. Get the chalk off there.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:30   #11

Boat: Scout 30

Are you talking about the topsides or the deck & cabin? You can't really buff out the decks because of the non-skid. A light pressure washing will take off the surface oxidation. Magic erasers will also take if off if you want to do it by hand. The "Works" takes off a lot of stains really well & will whiten up your boat. The new vinyl restorer products they are selling for cars work really well & so far last about 6 months in Florida.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:02   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Heck just wait a couple days till it rains again then just use a scrub brush to loosen the oxidation and let the rain rinse it off . They can't say you were washing your boat . The rain washed it off .
It was nature not you.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:59   #13

Boat: Catalina 320

Sounds bad enough you probably need to wet sand before compounding, I believe it's mentioned in Mainesails guide. Try a spot.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:55   #14
Marine Service Provider

Your in Port Townsend? Normally I'd say Canada but you're probably screwed there now anyway. Too bad, if in San Diego, I'd say go to Mexico for a couple of days.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 15:19   #15

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Just google Island Girl. All there products are wonderful . You can call the owner and chemist .
I have used Island girl on my last b4 sailboats and I love it cause with very little work just wipe on. no wipe off and it shines for years !
Im slowly converting all the boats on my dock to island Girl because they see my results .
Good luck .. morgan 384
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote