Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 08:12   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Toolsets for Cruising

Hi All,

I have often read that you want to have two of every tool on board for cruising. I figure I probable have enough assorted screwdrivers and socket sets to make one of everything which means I'm in the market for buying a comprehensive toolset.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a toolset that is good for the marine environment (ie - doesn't rust, stores compactly, has ability to clip onto something) that is available in the US?

Steve
Old 04-02-2007, 10:59   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Are you going to stay in the US? My onboard tools are Craftsman 933155 -- metric and US sockets and wrenchs plus screwdrivers. I supplemented that with a couple of plier, adjustable wrench, and safety-wire plier sets. Craftsman still has the life-time guarentee and there are Sears stores nearly everywhere. My "shop" hand tools (a 7 x 16 dual-axle trailer) are a combination of Craftsman and Snap-On. The only power tool I keep on board is an old DeWalt cordless drill.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:14   #3

We'll be spending very little time in the US - that's just where we'll leave from.

I'll look up Craftsmen sets you mentioned - I assume you have had no issues with corrosion, etc.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:04   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Nope -- I do keep a very lightly oiled rag in a ziploc that I use to wipe tools off when I put them away. It quickly becomes part of the routine and helps keep corrosion at bay.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:17   #5

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu, 53 feet - DoodleBug

Steve,
In addition to a socket type tool-kit, I recommend a very large screwdriver that can double as a crowbar and can be used for fighting off sharks and pirates. This is also great for tensioning alternator belts. Also recommended are a couple of sizes of vice-grips, plus the type of vice-grip that has a chain attached to it and can be used as a universal filter remover or prop-shaft gripper. Don't forget the ever useful rubber mallet.
Fair Winds,
Ed
SV DoodleBug
Ed Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:35   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Steele
In addition to a socket type tool-kit, I recommend a very large screwdriver that can double as a crowbar and can be used for fighting off sharks and pirates. This is also great for tensioning alternator belts.
I will second that, also useful for undoing shackles - apart from maybe Sean's

Depending on the size of your bilge and accessability - A spare ratchet for the sockets .........and spare / duplicate sockets for the popular sizes

A First Aid kit / Self amalgamating tape
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:51   #7

you can get socket strips from most any auto parts store. some are magnetic and hold the sockets in a slot. very nice if you drop them. i wouldnt buy any craftsmen ratchets. ive broken too many of them. yea, the warrantee is good, but they only break when you need them. find a good , well fitting chastity belt and go see a snapon dealer. i have never broken a snap on ratchet and i used to use them daily. same with the sockets. ive hammered non impact sockets regularly from snap on and only broke one in 25 years. ya get what you pay for. at sea there aint no warrantees. good luck. best regards, j.d.
jdsackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:58   #8

A Chastity Belt and a snap on? Are you in the right forum? Am I in the right forum?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:59   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Search "Rust Inhibitor"
ie:
Flambeau Hardware - Capsules, PlasTabs and Drawer Liners Infused with Flambeau Zerust Corrosion Inhibitor

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 13:03   #10

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Your tool set should include two spanners/multigrips/ or similar that are large enough to allow you to undo / do up your stuffing box
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 13:10   #11

reason for the chastity belt is your going to need one to protect your a$$ when you get the bill from snap on. slight attemp at humor
jdsackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 13:58   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
At Costco they sell (Crescent) a plastic case with a large set of english and metric sockets w/ the three size drive ratchets, long nose pliers, hex wrenches and hex bits. It all very well chromed and protected buy the plastic case from abrasion. I keep one on my boat and use it quite often.

I also keep another plastic box with an assortment of specialty tools and keep a pack of moisture absorbent (forgot what it's called) in the box as well, which I change out periodically.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 16:23   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Steve, If you are going off the beaten path then I suggest you take a good set of whatever tools you know how to use. There are of course a multitude of things you can take. But if your skills and abilities don't match the tools you carry then they are just extra weight. A basic set of course for the many repairs you can and will need to do in the course of general maintenance and emergency repairs. But if you can't pull the engine, remove pistons, heads and manifolds then I have never seen the need to carry the equipment necessary. Spare parts also fall into the same category

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 19:37   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Where's the Hammer??
No one has mentioned a Hammer. You only need two. One regular size Hammer and a big one. If the regular one doesn't work, you hit it with the bigger one. No need for any other tool. The hammer not only drives nails, but it will drive screws, losen frozen parts and if something doesn't work, you just hit is with the hammer. If it still doesn't work, then you hit it with the bigger hammer. If it still doesn't work after that, then it was broken in the first place. ;-) :-)

Now on to the seriouse side, you don't need expensive tools for the boat. Infact, some of the expensive tools are more prone to rust. Look for the cheaper tools made from Chrome Vanadium. I have a cheap socket set on the boat and it works very nicely. I accedentaly dropped the ratchet in the water. A week later I was able to retrieve it with a magnet. To my surprise not one drop of corrosion was on it. I gave it a quick rinse and put it back in the set. It still works flawlessley. So you don't need to get suckered into the expensive boat purpose SST tools.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 23:14   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Small hammer

I'm currently finding a small hammer (4-6oz), that I originally brought to chip back rust, invaluable.
A series of light taps usually does the job.
The standard heavy household hammers are way too heavy for most stuff on a boat.
I think it cost me $2 at my local mega hardware store.
P.S. They don't make good levers...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote