Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 05:55   #1

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)
Tools of the gods....?

I will be captaining an 10 year old 42 foot Cat for 30 days next month in the Caribbean that I am renting from an individual. On every boat delivery that I am on, it seems that I end up repairing something and the boat usually has inadequate tools on board. But, its not my boat so I fly to the location and whatever I bring, it has to be in my two big checked duffle bags. Assume that the boat doesn't have any tools onboard.

I bring a leatherman multi tool. I have a knife. I have this reaching tool that is pictured below that is a godsend. But I would first like to know if any of you have an idea to somewhat replace a socket set? I need one tool that can adequately tighten and loosen nuts of various sizes even on the engine or big bolts somewhere. Optimally I would bring a socket set with normal, metric, and deep well sockets but this is not an option. Ill also bring a long phillips and regular screwdriver and of course a roll of duct tape and zip ties and some sail repair items. I also bring my own set of blocks to make things like a barber hauler/other fun running rigging.

Any idea on the specific nut tool you have specific experience would be appreciated. A picture would be even better. I also placed a picture of a Skil pliers that may be an option for the socket replacement but I would like to know your opinion. Thanks Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez Grabber.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	116765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skil-Ratch-N-Lock-Pliers.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	116766  

Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 06:12   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Tools of the gods....?

A good screwdriver with different bits that store in the handle, so it's four or five screwdrivers, and at least two adjustable wrenches, one big, one medium and one small, OK three then. Some extra wire, GA hard to determine though, maybe 14 seems most common and can work for smaller when required? Small SS wire brush, toothbrush sized for cleaning corrosion off of wire terminals.
Wiring tools, butt splices, terminal ends etc. Seems a lot of repairs have wiring in them somewhere.
Good multimeter, small tube of blue loctite, allen wrench set, both standard and metric, wire crimper multi tool, favorite penetrating oil.
Small propane torch, just the torch, probably a bottle of propane on board to run the grill already
heat shrink tubing, several sizes.
Hand full of long zip ties
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 06:26   #3

A vice grips and acetone/ATF mix. Acetone/ATF mixed 50:50 is better than any penetrating oil you can buy for shifting rusty bolts and nuts. The vice grips will ruin nuts and bolts but as a last resort you can beat a vice grips

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452867875093.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	116770  
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 07:07   #4

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy View Post
I will be captaining an 10 year old 42 foot Cat for 30 days next month in the Caribbean that I am renting from an individual. On every boat delivery that I am on, it seems that I end up repairing something and the boat usually has inadequate tools on board. But, its not my boat so I fly to the location and whatever I bring, it has to be in my two big checked duffle bags. Assume that the boat doesn't have any tools onboard.

I bring a leatherman multi tool. I have a knife. I have this reaching tool that is pictured below that is a godsend. But I would first like to know if any of you have an idea to somewhat replace a socket set? I need one tool that can adequately tighten and loosen nuts of various sizes even on the engine or big bolts somewhere. Optimally I would bring a socket set with normal, metric, and deep well sockets but this is not an option. Ill also bring a long phillips and regular screwdriver and of course a roll of duct tape and zip ties and some sail repair items. I also bring my own set of blocks to make things like a barber hauler/other fun running rigging.

Any idea on the specific nut tool you have specific experience would be appreciated. A picture would be even better. I also placed a picture of a Skil pliers that may be an option for the socket replacement but I would like to know your opinion. Thanks Mark
I'm not endorsing these as I've never used one, but your post reminded me of this ad. I'd assume the little pins would turn into a rusty pile of crap after a couple of weeks, but they may be cheap enough to replace before each delivery.

http://www.amazon.ca/Gator-ETC-200MO.../dp/B000065CJ8

I usually get by with a small pipe wrench, channel locks, and a pair of vice grips in lieu of sockets on OPBs, socket set on my own boat.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 07:36   #5

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

The trouble with all the wrong tools is that most of the time you can't get them into the place they need to get, and if you can get them into place, you can't turn them. If you're using vice grips and crescent wrenches I don't want to be the next one working on your trouble. Not that I haven't used crescents and vice-grips.... I just don't want to be the next guy..

I'd suggest 4" vice-grip, 8" or 10" crescent, medium to large channel lock., convertible screwdriver. I'd say 95% of the time those tools will get you back to shore.. if you need a socket set, bite the bullet when you're back at shore and go pick up a throw away set. The rest goes without saying.. good digital electric tester, electrical tape, a bit of duct tape, a small spool of 1/8" or 3/16" dyneema, zip ties, eye glass size screwdriver set.

Unless you're going to equip the boat with the all the right tools, I think that's a pretty good list for some light packing.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 07:45   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I was given one of those Gator sockets once, I "lost" it when they weren't looking, absolute crap, but if I had to chose between that and a pipe wrench? I'd sure give it a try.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 07:57   #7

Boat: Rinker 24

Preaching to the choir here, but as we all know that when you do a repair if you cannot get a bolt/screw/pin/shaft/etc out or in then you are stuck and you may as well have no tools at all.

Instead of posting what "I think" would be bare minimum, since you have a little bit of time is it practical to just order some cheap tools from Amazon, Ebay, Harbor Freight etc and just have them delivered to your destination? For less than $50 or so you could have a pretty complete set of cheapies that would serve you for a month and at the end you could leave them on the boat (especially if you were planning to do this again in the future), or trade/give them away to some cool local or cruiser you meet along the way.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 08:05   #8

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I was given one of those Gator sockets once, I "lost" it when they weren't looking, absolute crap, but if I had to chose between that and a pipe wrench? I'd sure give it a try.
Kind of figured it was crap. "As seen on T.V."

Pipe wrench is my go-to tool for Torx bolts. They get taken out and replaced as fast as I can find them (none on my boat, but there were just enough on my old CJ-5 jeep to almost buy a set of Torx sockets.

The 10" version of one of these, with the head modified, is in my back pocket at work at all times. It's funny how many times I'll reach back for it when I'm on the boat, (also makes a better hammer than a socket does)

goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 08:09   #9

If your interested in a small multi tool setup I have heard good things about this one

I have myself just discovered the knipex pliers wrench

I have just ordered mine but from what i have found out about it im in love. imagine a pair of channel locks that also work as vicegrips. toothless jaws that do not pivot but slid up against the nut and lock. is a youtube clip of some guy showing you how it works

Im not convinced about how they lock in place yet but even if they dont i still think they are worth it.
davidu996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 08:26   #10

Boat: 42' Heritage East Nova Sundeck

These are good for most nuts and especially for areas where the bolt sticks out above the nut and you would need a deep well socket. I have seen them cheaper at Sears and Harbor Freight.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-M.../dp/B002I06KIQ
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 08:41   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

No matter what you bring you will always be missing the tool you need. The list is endless. I would send a required list to the owner and require a tool inventory. My boat has the tool inventory of a marine repair shop and I still make frequent trips to the hardware store.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 08:42   #12

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanksy View Post
A vice grips and acetone/ATF mix. Acetone/ATF mixed 50:50 is better than any penetrating oil you can buy for shifting rusty bolts and nuts. The vice grips will ruin nuts and bolts but as a last resort you can beat a vice grips

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Watch using acetone liberally inside a boat hull. It is heavier than air, explosive, and extremely easy to ignite electrically. Random comment but some do not know this.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 08:48   #13

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Harbor Freight has this little tool - it puts 8 common English sockets in your hand in one small package. You slide a screwdriver through the center to turn it. Not ratcheting, but it does give you a handful of sockets in a small package, is very inexpensive (maybe less than $5?) and may be all you need.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 08:51   #14

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Here is the link to Evan's article on this topic in Practical Sailor a few years back...

I hope you have a great trip and don't need your tools...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 15-01-2016, 08:53   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Klein cutters, about a dozen AWAB hose clamps, Ancor crimpers (with self-sealing crimp connectors), and a couple of rolls of self-amalgamating tape.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote