Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 13:08   #31

Re: Tools of the gods....?

Almost anything from harbor freight is sure to disappoint at some point. The stores near me put returns right back on the shelves. I returned a battery charger within warranty period because it wasn't working. They knew it didn't work because that was my reason for returning it but not even 10 minutes later it was back on the shelf.
Derek010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 13:25   #32

Boat: 42' Heritage East Nova Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek010 View Post
Almost anything from harbor freight is sure to disappoint at some point. The stores near me put returns right back on the shelves. I returned a battery charger within warranty period because it wasn't working. They knew it didn't work because that was my reason for returning it but not even 10 minutes later it was back on the shelf.
I agree completely. The only exception might be the Pittsburgh hand tools. They have a lifetime warranty and I have had them replace several that I had abused in a manner they were not designed for. Almost as good as craftsman but half the price.
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 14:06   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"a bottle opener"
Bill, Bill, Bill. Honestly, unless you are really slumming it, we call that
"le sommelier".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:05   #34

Boat: Newport 28

I'm curious as to why a set of average tools isn't an option for the OP. I recently picked up a tool set from Lowes with metric, standard, deepwell, and more, for about $150 bucks on sale. And cheaper if you don't need as complete a set. That, coupled with a $6, 13" long Craftsman tool bag, makes for a complete set of common hand tools in a bag that's very compact, not very heavy to carry, move, or stow away, and covers pretty much anything under 19mm - 3/4" or so. And it's the option to use it at home, garage, boat, etc.
Old 15-01-2016, 15:26   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

When I was the Boat Captain (that was the more polite term for a derogatory term in the 1980s) of a 67' race boat, I was told more than once that the single best tool to have on a complicated boat is a 5/16" nut driver. Like a screwdriver, but with a socket "tip". I bought one from Sears, with a yellow handle, and I have used it extensively ever since.

Why 5/16"? It fits the majority of hose clamp screws that you'll find on boats, and the socket head won't slip off. Marvelous when you're trying to tighten or loosen a hose clamp in crowded quarters in an engine room.

In fact, I wouldn't buy hose clamps that don't use a 5/16" nut...

Chuck Hawley
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:38   #36

Boat: glass knockoff of a Crowther 28

Sears "max axess" sockets - get the 6 point, not the knuckle busting universal - gives you inch and metric, standard and deep well in a single set, because the bolt goes through the wrench - much lighter than a standard square drive, even more because you don't need a separate deep well set, so you save space too. Only disadvantage is that you have to get square on - no U joint socket. Also works with GearWrench pass through, I have a nice flex head wrench that works with all the Craftsman pass through sockets. They also come in sets that have allen sockets, these are dead weight - stick with the sockets only - get a separate 1/4 inch hex set.
Craftsman.com
steve0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:03   #37

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
...I was told more than once that the single best tool to have on a complicated boat is a 5/16" nut driver.
I too was shown the light about those drivers. I ended up with 3, for different size clamps, but I do end up throwing away any clamps that aren't 5/16" on whatever I'm working on.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:31   #38

Check out the Kobalt Universal and Kobalt Pass Through socket sets at Lowe's or lowes.com. These two sets enable operation of most common sizes of fasteners in metric and SAE sizes, eliminate the need for deep well sockets, allow access in minimal space...operating fasteners with 6pt, 12pt, spline, star, square head shapes...and will work on many fasteners whose heads have become rounded. About 40 bucks for each set.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:53   #39

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
I'm curious as to why a set of average tools isn't an option for the OP. I recently picked up a tool set from Lowes with metric, standard, deepwell, and more, for about $150 bucks on sale. And cheaper if you don't need as complete a set. That, coupled with a $6, 13" long Craftsman tool bag, makes for a complete set of common hand tools in a bag that's very compact, not very heavy to carry, move, or stow away, and covers pretty much anything under 19mm - 3/4" or so. And it's the option to use it at home, garage, boat, etc.
Charles,
I want, and many and most of the posters have helped with suggestions to help me design an ultra lightweight and minimal set of tools that can get me out of a jam, with low weight and that I can bring on other deliveries and charters that I fly to(think baggage fees and limitations) . I also fly single engine planes and want to bring these tools with me on weight sensitive planes. Plus, I bring other stuff with me on charters like fishing, swimming, snorkeling, kite surfing, etc that I have to fit in my checked luggage. With that said, cheaper was never stated by me as an objective, compact and useable was.

Do you have good suggestions like the excellent ones offered by the other people who posted?
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 17:03   #40

Boat: Tartan30

Showing up for a "blind delivery" is always an adventure. It's amaZing how many boats folks want delivered that are just not mechanically sound or seaworthy. I have walked away a few times.
I have had at least 2 instances where the owners knew the boats were sour and were counting on it going down, and being able to blame it all on a USCG Captain doing the delivery. They damn near killed me and I made sure they got caught at it!!!!!
Anyhow...I REFUSE to leave the dock without tools. If I can't check them on the flight, sometimes I can UPS a small tool box, and if not Sears has tool sets for less than $75.00, and they get charged to the Owner, or I take them home.
Quite often I drive a rental car to and from, so it all just goes in the trunk.
I have also shipped via Greyhound. They just stick the tool box in with the luggage.
Sooo....I have my own safety gear, and ditch bag, and I just simply will not go without a minimum assortment of hand tools.
When I first got my license I was so excited, and would take anything trying to build a clientele. after some really scary experiences I got more cautious and finally figured out they were only paying me to drive the damned boat, not to die in it.
Now I am 62, and had let my "ticket" expire some years back. Now I am doing it all over again to get the Masters License back, so I can get back at it.
Some people just never learn.........
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 17:14   #41

Any idea on the specific nut tool you have specific experience would be appreciated. A picture would be even better. I also placed a picture of a Skil pliers that may be an option for the socket replacement but I would like to know your opinion. Thanks Mark[/QUOTE]

I have been on many boats and I repair boats. It is almost inevitable that you will be missing a tool or two. Given this and when you are stuck for a repair, I find that there is a boater that has that tool somewhere in your anchoring area. One thing not mentioned here is spare parts... before you go to a specific boat, ask for spare parts inventory and the recent history and maintenance schedule... just to be the wiser... good? Thanks, Roger.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 21:19   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy View Post
Any idea on the specific nut tool you have specific experience would be appreciated. A picture would be even better. I also placed a picture of a Skil pliers that may be an option for the socket replacement but I would like to know your opinion. Thanks Mark
Get yourself a sink wrench; it will handle nuts from 1/4" to about 2"+- with a handle around 12' to 18' to get you into tight places.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sink...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Pat
Old 15-01-2016, 23:15   #43
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

I have this set of mini knipex, which I have found invaluable.

Knipex 00-20-72-V01 2 Piece Mini Pliers Belt Pouch Set

Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 03:23   #44

A trick for storing ring spinners or sockets is to feed them onto a piece of lacing, preferably in order, then tie a loop.

Neat, easy to find and retrieve, and tidy.

I also use a version for my keys, just a piece of lacing with a figure eight knot at each end.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 08:36   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Here is the link to Evan's article on this topic in Practical Sailor a few years back...

I hope you have a great trip and don't need your tools...

Cheers!

Bill
Just in case people don't like clicking links . . . . . here was my solution to the OP's question . . . . worked out over 20 years . . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	tools1.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	116814

Name:	tools2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	116815

Name:	tools3.jpg