Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 08:54   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Tools of the gods....?

>>30 days next month in the Caribbean

There are in fact actual stores in the caribbean, that sell actual tools, you know.

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but you can go down there, see what size nuts are on the engine (and elsewhere on the boat) and buy actual proper wrenches that fit.

And in the meantime, vice grips and a typical adjustable crescent wrench will in fact adequately do most of the job.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 09:21   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

30 days????

I can get through problems for that long just by ignoring them. Heck, it generally takes me that long just to admit there is a problem.

You can always do what many other cruisers seem to do - borrow.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 09:30   #18

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

I keep two of these aboard-one SAE & one Metric. I got them several yrs ago thru Home Hardware Canada but they no longer carry them.
They have been great-just add one 3" & one 6" 3/8 drive extension with them.
Try Googling "3/8 ratchet with sockets in handle" or "Ready Tools"

Workforce Ratchet 3 8" Ratchet with Sockets Harley Davidson Imperial MGB | eBay

Cheers/ Len
Old 15-01-2016, 09:50   #19

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Someone has to say it ......

a bottle opener

Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:01   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I like channel locks. Although not ideal, they replace a lot of other tools. I carry a medium size one.

I agree with your sentiment about other peoples boats lacking tools. When I did an atlantic ocean delivery the boat had 4 large toolboxes which were 95% empty. I ended up using my own small tools I had brought...multimeter, multi screwdriver, metric hex set, and gerber multitool.

Some of the first things I put aboard when I buy a boat are a wrench set, socket set, and screwdriver set. Its amazing how many jobs can be accomplished with these simple hand tools.

Of course there will always be special jobs requiring special tools...pipe cutter, hack saw, snap ring pliers, etc.

One of my favorite tools to keep aboard is an old style manual (egg beater type) drill. For drilling in fiberglass or wood its excellent...and requires no batteries, charger, or cord.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:04   #21

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Serious reply
I have 3 different size pipe wrenches, wouldn't be without them.
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:06   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

You can always do what many other cruisers seem to do - borrow.
I keep a few extra (crappy/cheap) tools aboard for "lending" out. Cause you know they are never coming back. Learned that lesson the hard way...over and over and over again.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:28   #23

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I have one of those 8-in-1 or whatever wrenches someone once gave me. Never used it.

Murphy guarantees that at least one bolt head or nut critical to the job at hand doesn't have enough room around it to use whatever tool you have. You always seem to need a deep but narrow socket, a universal, two specific lengths of extenders, and whatever size ratcheting driver you don't have.

Or, if it IS reachable, it's so tight that you need a massive wrench and a cheater bar to loosen it. Which often leads down the path of easy-outs and heli-coils.

For anything else, a Leatherman tool, channel-locks, vice-grips or pliers will work fine.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidu996 View Post
I have myself just discovered the knipex pliers wrench

I have just ordered mine but from what i have found out about it im in love. imagine a pair of channel locks that also work as vicegrips. toothless jaws that do not pivot but slid up against the nut and lock.
I have other knipex tools are they are really, really nice tools. I suspect this is the best answer. Looks like a great tool.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:52   #25

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'd say, look though & inventory your "boat tool set" that you have at home, & then only take with you the tools which are hard to come by at your destination. And or, that you can't get shipped there on the cheap.

Knock on wood, that shouldn't be too long a list. As, generally, aside from sockets, "the essentials" fit inside of one, easily carried tool box. Unless you're talking power tools, or the variety which one needs for something more resembling a rebuild on a vessel. Well, them, & some specialized ones for electrical/electronic diagnostics & such.

Plus, might it be possible to inquire/request that certain tools be left onboard? As it's kind of unseaman like to leave a vessel totally bereft of basic tools.
That, & they'll know what's available locally as well. Though don't put yourself in a bad spot by leaving behind some of the essentials, based solely on what they tell you.

Also, I'd be a bit hesitant to travel with my favorite, & or, expensive/hard to acquire tools. Lest they "grow legs" in the course of my travels to & from a boat which is far away.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:12   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I was given one of those Gator sockets once, I "lost" it when they weren't looking, absolute crap, but if I had to chose between that and a pipe wrench? I'd sure give it a try.
As far as a Gator grip. If I was considering space I would have one. Probably keep it packed in a light oil or hydric fluid. Not a socket set but seems to work well , also on rounded off heads.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:26   #27

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

A small 1/4 inch socket set is light, compact and will handle the majority of bolt sizes up to at least 1/2"/13 mm. Some also include hex, torx and various other screw bit sockets as well.

A filter wrench can also be invaluable and I just love my little dental pick set which always has a seemingly million and one uses.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:35   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Klein cutters, about a dozen AWAB hose clamps, Ancor crimpers (with self-sealing crimp connectors), and a couple of rolls of self-amalgamating tape.
My son and I kid about the pair of blow out Klein's being the best crimpers.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:33   #29

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
Someone has to say it ......

a bottle opener

Bill
Bill has the best tool advice!!!

Just to clarify for this request to all of you, , I want to bring them in my checked baggage. I will not buy them at a local hardware store. It is my experience with me, and crossing between the BVI's and Guadeloupe, this is where something will break. I need these few tools just to get me back to shore thus the question.

The rest of you gave me some good advice which makes CF a great resource, especially Bill suggestion. My problem is that the beer in the Caribbean is not the best in my book, and undeserving of a fancy bottle opener. We should start a separate thread on that.
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:36   #30

Boat: 32 Rival

From an old blue water sailor....if you have a spare on board, you'll never need it, whatever spare or tool on board you don't have, you'll need it tomorrow, or in a bad blow.
Grady
gradyho is offline   Reply With Quote