Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 08:57   #1

tools and rust

I'm interested in how people keep their tools, hand and power, in good shape in a hostile environment. Special tool box/container, spray protectant, anti rust bags as used with guns, magic potions and spells?

thanks,

Ed
elknimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: tools and rust

Current philosophy- try to buy good tools and treat them with T-9 Boeshield every few months.

Even with that, the ratchets start to look ugly in 5 years. They work, but are not beauty queens. Will probably ditch set in the next year and buy another ratchet set. Box wrenches and screw drivers all look good.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:19   #3

Boat: Currently boatless

We kept our cordless drill in a dry place, not in a special bag or anything, and it lasted for our 5 year cruise. Depending on how dry your boat is, you may not have much problem or need to do anything special.

On the other hand, the hand tools (like screw drivers etc) that often touched parts of the salty boat, would rust a bit even if we WD-40'd them.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 10:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I'm old and been around for awhile. I've seen Snapon, Craftsman, Thorson and others rust away over time. Now I buy Harbor Freight. Chrome tools stay nice for 5-10 years depending... Living aboard and properly heating and venting keeps everything better.
Power tools the same. I have 6 power sanders (big wood boat) 6 -20 years old. And the usual drills, grinders, etc. Porter Cable have lasted the best. Milwaukee seem to last forever but are expensive.
Tool handle dip keeps the handles from rusting, but makes a lousy condom.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 21:31   #5

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

We use the drawers under our nav station for tools--line them with the yellow microfiber cloths you buy in bulk, which we've sprayed with corrosion inhibitor, and drape another cloth over the top or in layers. Works really well.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 23:59   #6

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I found that bottom of companion way is not a good place to keep tools, or anything for that matter, as stuff will get wet there.

Every so often I use a solution of oxalic acid to clean SS on deck, I use that also to dip in (and soak for a while) tools, nuts, bolts, drill-bits etc. that show rust marks. Rinse liberally with fresh water, let it dry. Then I have a container with thin lanolin, dip it in that, let it drip out and tools may feel a little greasy, but will last for years, generally rust will not return.
Powertools are kept in a canvas bag, that is if I remember to put them there. Never had a powertool die on me because of rust.

Once I dropped a (cheap) mitre/compound electrical saw in the water. Just caught it by the powerlead (yes, maybe silly but that was my reaction, yes it tripped the RCD). I rinsed it with fresh water (after unplugging it), let it dry for a few sunny days on deck, then sprayed with WD-40 or something similar and this saw is still going (that was 12-15 years ago).

Although not now, I lived -off and on- on my boat for 15 years.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:50   #7

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

I keep small hand tools, pliers, wrenches, sockets/wrenches, screwdrivers etc, in a waterproof Pelican box. Have had same tools in good shape for 25+ years.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:03   #8

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I keep power tools in large clear plastic bags, rolled up with Ze-Rust capsules to provide an oil film. This is then stored in zippered nylon tool bags from Sears, Northern Tool, Home Depot, etc. the nylon tool bags provide physical protection and the plastic bags keep the oil film near the tools. The tool bags are stored under berths or under the settee, depending on how accessible I want the tool to be.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 14:14   #9

This is exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you all for some excellent information.

Ed
elknimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 21:46   #10

Boat: Rob Perry Tatoosh 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Current philosophy- try to buy good tools and treat them with T-9 Boeshield every few months.
kawaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:43   #11

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

WD-40, applied liberally on a regular basis. Even better than Windex!
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote