Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 19:12   #31

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Tool recommendations

I find it's the small things that help the most often... For example:

1) a hose hook for getting those tight hoses off

2) a Kugihiki saw for cutting the top of teak bungs off

3) an IR thermometer

4) an expandable magnet thingy for retrieving stuff out of the bilge

5) a snap tool for repairs

6) teak scrapers and a lot of extra blades

7) lots and lots of disposable gloves

8) plastic coffee stirrers for mixing epoxy

9) syringes for measuring epoxy

10) disposable cups for epoxy

11) stainless steel and bronze brushes for cleaning stainless using " name your chemical"

12) eye protection

13) respiratory protection

14) a mirror on a stick for seeing into places you can't see or a fiber optic camera

15) a really really good wire cutter and ratchet crimper with dies for all size wires

16) 3 in 1 oil

17) lots of sizes of shrink tubing

18) an multimeter capable of reading dc amps continuously. Don't skimp on quality ... Extech.

Sent from somewhere other than where I want to be!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 19:13   #32

I just bought a Makita impact driver with three torque settings. The low torque setting is for fine work and small screws, and intended to get over the "brute force" effect referred to by others here. Reviews indicate that the low torque setting is effective. However, I have not had a chance to use the tool yet, and can't report.

I bought Makita because I already have their battery system for other tools....once you have bought a particular brand of battery for cordless tools, you are sort of locked in.

The MultiTool does not get much of a positive rap in this forum. Yet I bought one a few years ago and continue to be amazed at its versatility. With a range of blades, some diamond and carbide tipped, it will handle a range of cutting, rasping, scraping tasks, limited only by your resourcefulness and imagination. it will plunge cut solid glass, clean barnacles from a prop, remove set sikaflex, sand tight corners, cut metal bolts in tight corners, etc. It is a most useful tool, in my opinion.

When I bought my multitool I had no idea as to its usefulness, and bought a middle of the road Bosch, as a bit of an experiment. Now, knowing the tool, I would buy a Fein or quality equivalent. (The bosch has worked ok).

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 19:27   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
When I bought my multitool I had no idea as to its usefulness, and bought a middle of the road Bosch, as a bit of an experiment. Now, knowing the tool, I would buy a Fein or quality equivalent. (The bosch has worked ok).
Lee
I originally bought a Dremel multitool which died after a while. Then I bought a Fein. If I had used the Fein first I would not have bought the Dremel. Other companies make multitools but most are not the quality of the Fein.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 20:06   #34

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Yes my Dremel multi tool wore out quickly but no Feins were to be had in the Abacos. Fein Multi tool is the first tool I would buy

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:40   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
Yes my Dremel multi tool wore out quickly but no Feins were to be had in the Abacos. Fein Multi tool is the first tool I would buy

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
One should be careful. I've never heard of or seen a Fein. Dremel is everywhere. If you are cruising far and wide and you have a semi-rare tool make sure you have plenty of blades, discs etc.

And if you get the Dremel - make darn sure you get the flex drive - wow what a difference in control and utility.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:08   #36

Boat: Valiant 42

Nearly all the multi-tool knock-offs have made their blades fit the Fein. That's because in most countries the Fein patents have expired. Before that the me-too tools could not compete. But there aren't that many different blades you need. It's pretty easy to get a Fein kit with all the blades you will need for several years of cruising.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:13   #37

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Fesstool system. Expensive, but superb. A vacuum that connects to their rotary grinder, flat sander, router, saw, etc. I used mine in a local boatyard to sand my hulls (trimaran) to repaint. The yard manager ran over seething, about to tell me what an idiot I was for trying to sand in a California boatyard without expensive draping and tenting, dust control, etc., etc. He noticed I was sanding without a dust mask. Then he noticed there was no dust. "What is that thing?", he asked. I handed it to him and said to go for it. Five minutes later, every one of his supervisors was onsite and playing with the Fesstool. His final words were: "Have a nice day!", and they walked away, shaking their heads. The tool saved me more in yard costs than its entire cost. When you consider the effects of dust inside a boat interior, you really appreciate the value of this tool system. This is a pic of my friend, Jeff Allen, sanding the underwing. Note that he is wearing a black teeshirt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00393.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	86304  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:19   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
One should be careful. I've never heard of or seen a Fein. Dremel is everywhere. If you are cruising far and wide and you have a semi-rare tool make sure you have plenty of blades, discs etc.

And if you get the Dremel - make darn sure you get the flex drive - wow what a difference in control and utility.
Flex drive is for a rotary Dremel and I agree get one.

A multitool is different - uses blades that move back and forth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fein.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	86305  
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 16:04   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the pic - I have seen a Fein on tv I guess. Cool that they work as advertised. Haven't seen one in my neck of the wooed though.
Old 07-08-2014, 16:30   #40

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Ann....these are brilliant. You can get ten dollar ones for the hardware store but they are no good.,the bits just bend when you apply the hammer. However, for around thirty dollars at an engineering supplies store you can get a good one which will do the job well. I went through a couple of cheapos before seeing the light. Excellent for the purpose you describe. Great for stripping a mast of old fittings.

Agreed. Also the Fein oscillating tool. Or the generic equivalent.

I generally avoid Harbor F but they sometimes put 5 in disc sanders and angle grinders on sale for $10 to $20. They also have a generic oscillating tool that goes on sale once in a while. (I think that was around $20) I keep a spare as they are not the best quality but last longer than I ever expect them to.

When heading to Mex. or Central America I take a couple of each to give as gifts if a local helps me with a boat project. I gave one of those oscillating tools to a man that did some varnishing and painting for me and he was VERY appreciative.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 21:02   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Well, a 5 second search on google shows
Country selector Asia - C. & E. FEIN GmbH#
clicking on Singapore shows two dealers.

Of course, I would never buy from a dealer, prefer internet.

Genuine Fein blades are expensive. Generics fit, and are everywhere.
I buy my blades from Fitzall and MultiBlade in north America. Good old American technology, probably made in china, mexico, whatever.

Agree with the comment on the Dremel FlexDrive, most useful in confined spaces. Also the right angle drive for Dremel.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 21:21   #42

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Hands down the multi tool (i have a bosch) and a good variable speed jigsaw. Oh and an inverter to drive them if your on a mooring.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 21:23   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Bought a relatively expensive Dremel tool. Used it very sparingly until I tried to sand a little fiberglass. The motor burned up in about 2 minutes of use. Bought a cheap Black and Decker Dremel type tool and it's still going strong after a couple of years of much harder use. Dremels seem to be hobby tools not really up to serious use.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 21:39   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
Well, a 5 second search on google shows
Country selector Asia - C. & E. FEIN GmbH#
clicking on Singapore shows two dealers.

Of course, I would never buy from a dealer, prefer internet.

Genuine Fein blades are expensive. Generics fit, and are everywhere.
I buy my blades from Fitzall and MultiBlade in north America. Good old American technology, probably made in china, mexico, whatever.

Agree with the comment on the Dremel FlexDrive, most useful in confined spaces. Also the right angle drive for Dremel.

Lee

LOL - I didn't say they didn't exist and haven't looked I have been to a lot of hardware and tools stores and have never seen retail.

Also distributors in Singapore are often a laugh Everything thing can be order to ship, meaning you order, pay, pay shipping and wait. Usually if you want it its more efficient to order oneself, have it cameled in or buy when on a trip.. Of course here is 220v...

Thanks for thr link, though
Old 08-08-2014, 05:13   #45

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I've got a very cheap multitool ($30 rockwell), and it's crap, it just doesn't cut well. My old mans more expensive ($100+) one works much better and he swears by it.

If you have much sanding and painting to do inside, I suggest spending $300 on a good full face mask or $1500 on the festool sanding and vacuuming system as Roy M described. 3 friends of mine have them, and they all seem to enjoy sanding! You have got to look after your heath.

Tags
men