Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 08:05   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Tool Organization/Storage

To start I am a bit of a tick about knowing what tools I have on board, where the tools are, and being able to find what I want when I want.

I am curious what other people have found useful for not just tool storage but more importantly tool organization. Obviously space is limited and I don't have the room to install a drawer style tool box like I'd like to; but I really hate having tools just piled in a box that you have to dump and sort through each time you need something.

Has anyone found a good method for keeping things clean and organized but also stowable? I know it is kind of a unicorn for small boats but I am hoping someone that is as "meticulous" as I am may have at least seen the mythical creature in their endeavors in keeping things organized.
Old 14-10-2019, 15:29   #2

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3
Re: Tool Organization/Storage

I don't know what anyone else does, but I address this by having multiple smaller toolboxes. The smaller ones are easier to store, and easier to work with, although it does result in some duplication of tools. Admittedly, I am a bit of a tool junkie and used to often be found wandering Home Depot's tool aisles until my wife stopped letting me go there unsupervised so the duplication has never bothered me.

For example, I have an electrical tool kit that has the usual electrical tools (cutters, utility knife, manual and automatic strippers, ratcheting crimper, a screwdriver with multiple bits that also serves as a nut driver and a small selection of wire, connectors, heat shrink and bulbs for emergency repairs); a separate engine tool kit (wrenches, ratchet handles and sockets, screwdrivers, hammer, oil filter wrench, etc.) and a small, general-use tool kit for day-to-day use (a couple of wrenches in sizes I use often, another screwdriver with multiple bits, small saw with multiple blades, hacksaw, etc.). Within each tool kit, I use canvas tool rolls (different colors for SAE and metric), plastic socket rails (also color coded, both by SAE and metric and by ratchet size) and other organizers to hold the individual tools in an organized manner. Finally, I use a Zerust capsule or a couple of tabs (https://www.zerustproducts.com/products/) in every toolbox to keep rust at bay. I see Zerust is now making larger capsules for boat lockers, but I have never used one of those. I have used the Zerust drawer liner in an unheated garage in NJ for years and been very pleased. NFI, just a satisfied customer.

I used to have a nice blow-molded kit where every item had its own space, but the shape was not convenient to store.

Larger tools like the battery cable cutter and cable crimper that are too big to store in a kit conveniently and are really only needed infrequently get wrapped in plastic with a Zerust tab and stowed out of the way.

Tom
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 16:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

This depends a lot on the shape and location of your locker spaces.

I will not put tools below the floor boards.

We have hard to reach space below the master bed. That gets a bushel basket sized tool bag of ‘seldom used and 115 volt tools’ as well as monster power tools I hope to never see or need.

I have four small plastic ammo boxes divided as; flat screwdrivers, Phillips screwdrivers, spanners and Allen’s, nut drivers. These are easily accessed in between shirts and shorts. Below these four is the socket set and below that is the engine spare gasket set. The ammo box insides are easy to spray with corrosion inhibitors.

In the galley I have been allocated the most inaccessible under seat locker for the most commonly used tools. This cloth bag is live. Stuff rotates in and out as needs change. Mostly, it does most jobs.

There are a few hidden spots where really odd stuff lives. This may be tiny tools and such as well as ridiculously big or strange. These thing live in their isolated, well fitting homes so I know where to find them.

The nav station has a few specialty things like tools and parts for glasses.

There is an overflow locker way forward with clamps, brushes, sandpaper, glue, fillers, stain.

All together, I have about #500 of tools stashed. I can find most of them most of the time. Other times I cuss and ask Lynn where she put it.

This is pretty personal based on the boat and stuff. I’ve been surprised where some other boaters stick things. It’s whatever works between you and maybe a partner. I only insist for us that the place is reliably dry.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 18:16   #4

I would love to hi-jack the one and only hanging locker to hang tools in but the wife put the kabosh on that. I am thinking of maybe doing a peg board style hanging set up (obviously not using real peg board) behind the starboard settee cushion. My big worry though is preventing corrosion if they are not in a sealed container.
Old 14-10-2019, 21:37   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

I have a small cabinet - maybe a "quarter locker" if you will. I currently have a stack of small containers and tool boxes piled up in there such that, indubitably, the thing I need is always (ALWAYS!) on the bottom of the pile and requires everything to come out. I'm thinking of fitting the cabinet with cubbies and putting all tools in those roll up tool cases. Maybe also leave a bit of space at the bottom for the awkwardly shaped stuff. These are my primary tools too so I'm always hauling them out.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 04:13   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

I use smaller boxes. One for everyday tools, one for electrical, one for serious engine room tools (stowed in engine room), etc. Ocassionally a project needs tools from multiple boxes, but not often... and sometimes I can use that as feedback to recalibrate my storage plan.

-Chris
Old 15-10-2019, 04:25   #7

I found this idea online and it's my model boat too. I was thinking something like this but behind the cushions beneath it. I don't think I want to alter the look of the cabin that much, but I think it's a pretty cool idea anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tool storage.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	201541  
Old 15-10-2019, 05:58   #8

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I use all canvas bags. You can find several different sizes. They can be stuffed into lockers. If not filled, they collapse down to the amount of tools in the bag. They won't scratch soles or gel goat decks if they are clean. Heavier duty zipper top bags hold power tools. Again they can expand to hold accessories, like drill bit kits with drills. For combination wrenches, and sockets, I use tool wraps by Duluth Trading, one for SAE and one for metric. I have a small bag, home made from sunbrella, about 9"x4"x4", zipper top, that is my every day tool kit. That is left in the nav station for a quick grab. That has combo screw driver, small channel locks, adjustable wrench, cheap digital multimeter, utility knive, wire stripper, crimper fits in there, 2 wires with alligator clips on both ends, a few wire ties, allen key and torx (star) sets, (pocket knife style) and what ever falls in during the course of the day. Only problem I have had is if I leave them out in the rain, even a brief shower. I usually empty it out, wipe the tools, dry the bag, but at the same time, forced to re-sort what is in the bag and dispose of the debris that gets tossed in while doing a project. If you have a sewing machine, you can make bags out of old sail covers, biminis, etc.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 07:04   #9

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I tried the approach of different bags for different tasks and found just too much crossover and I ended up with all the bags out too often.

Now I have a small bag with the things I use the most (and I take with me on delivery); this is "Dave's magic bag." It is bigger on the inside than the outside - definitely a tesseract. I have almost everything else in a really big, really heavy tool bag with a lot of compartmentation. Real specialty tools (electric RO polisher) get their own boxes.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 07:04   #10

Boat: Baba 35

This is my hand crafted teak tool station under the companionway stairs.

And a bonus pic of me working while on my tool station.

And the pics are sideways. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191015_084638.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	201552   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_084746.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	201553