Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2005, 09:28   #1

Boat: Lotus 10.6
toilet hose seacock connection

Hi there,
I am replacing the old hose and toilet on my yacht with some 38mm (internal dia) trident hose. The hose will fit nice and tight on the new jabsco toilet but the tailpipe barb on the waste seacock is about a millimeter smaller diameter than the hose. I will replace the seacock tailpipe when the boat is next taken out for anti fouling but in the meantime is there any tape or something that anyone could recommend that I can wrap around the barb to increase the diameter and allow the hose to go over it with a snug fit? I will have to heat the hose to get it on the toilet and can do the same to get it over any tape on the tailpipe barb. I was going to use electrical tape.
The vented U for the 19mm hose has the same problem. I bought the vented u from the same shop that sold me the hose and the vent is about 1mm smaller than the internal diameter of the hose.
Cheers
Darryl
Wellington
NZ
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 09:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
In general, Tape & Doping compound should only be used on Threaded Fittings.

This might be a good question for Bill Shields (Trident Marine), at:
http://www.tridentmarine.com/stage/askbill.htm

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 10:02   #3

yes I tried him and the email bounced back as no such email address.
Old 24-08-2005, 12:56   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
In My Humble Opinion, this is not a good idea. You are planning to bodge on a pipe that is too large for the fitting in an area that is renown as one of the major causes of boat sinking. Insurance would undoubtedly be invalidated.

Dont do it.
Old 25-08-2005, 02:20   #5
Kai Nui

As a major proponent of duct tape and bailing wire, I would NEVER consider the type of fix you are proposing for a seacock. Insurance aside, you wil never get it to seal properly, and there is a very good chance it will slip off the fitting. It seems odd that the difference is only 1 mm, as that would make the fitting 37mm. This is a very odd size. Thinking it might be a US size, I checked, and 1.5" is 38.5 mm, so that is not it. I would change the seacock, or if it has a fitting, change the fitting. A major hassel, and a sizable expense, but how much will it cost to raise a sunken vessel?
Old 25-08-2005, 08:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hi Darryl, this is a little strange, as the Trident hose is usually a pig of a hose to fit onto any fitting. Infact, it should be damn near impossible to fit to the Jabsco fitting. Not impossible, just damn near impossible. That's because with a lot of cursing and skined knuckles, you can usually get it on, jut before you collapse to the floor exhausted. Even heating the stuff won't help. It just will not expand.
Anyway's, I suggest you get a good hose clamp. Not the standard type, but one that has a solid steel clamping system with a bolt that tightens the thing together. You will find these at a Truck spares place like Transport wholesalers Ltd. "TWL" . I think you have a branch of them in Wellington. The clamps are used to crunch up the big air intake hoses on trucks. These things will crunch that Triton hose down nice and tight to the fittings. Good luck

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 10:46   #7

thanks Alan and everyone for your replies. I will do what Alan suggest until I can get the boat out and another fitting srewed into the seacock. In the meantime will use the off position on the seacock whenever I aint using the loo.
I should be coming over your way tomorrow Alan. As soon as this Southerly drops (hopefully around lunchtime tomorrow) I am hoping to leave.
Cheers
Darryl
Old 25-08-2005, 20:01   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have a good trip, but becareful of the return leg. There is a real nasty blow, I think it's winters last gasp, on the way up the country and should be over the Straight some time late in the night of Sat/Sun. I am off today to a chandlery sale in CHCH.
By the way, I live in Blenheim and my boat is birthed in Havelock.

Old 26-08-2005, 20:54   #9

what about using a union bstween the lav hose and the hose from the sea cock, I know this would require double clamping, but this would prevent distorting the hose from your lav.
Old 31-08-2005, 20:43   #10

thanks JGI417. On checking the connection from the old lav it appears that it was never a good connection. I am going to pull her out and replace the fitting.

Good trip over the strait on Friday. Stopped for the night in Resolution and by morning (2am) that nasty Southerly came in. Blew 50 knots and the waves were crashing 50 metres on the beach behind us. Motored through the 2m swells (in the sounds) and williwars to a nice Southerly anchorage and the weather slowly died during the day.

Came home Tuesday. 15 knots and no swell in the strait. Real fast and comfortable trip. Only 2 and half hours from Komaru to Mana Island.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:39   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you come across again in the summer, let us know and maybe we can raft up one night. We are Pelorus based and could come around. Or bett yet, you could come around our way. I't not actually much further and you don't have the Torry channel to worry about, that's if you go that way.
We are heading out for a few days next week. Hope the weather stays like this. Mate, what a corker it was today.

Old 01-09-2005, 16:55   #12

Glad to see you got the problem cured, I had a like problem when installing air cond. on my boat. which just sold last week, who ever saild the two best days of a boater is the day you buy and the day you sell was not a, SAILOR
Old 02-09-2005, 06:32   #13

May see you in the Summer.
Tomorrow would be another good day to cross. 15knots each way for the day. Then back up to 40knots again for a few days. Never stays the same for long. Just get the little opportunites to nip across every now and then.