Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 09:32   #1

Tohatsu 9.8 won't start???

I have a virtually new, manual start Tohatsu. IT WILL NOT START! I have fresh, ethanol free fuel, replaced the fuel filter and new spark plugs. It appears to be delivering fuel through the fuel line. I have the safety switch in place, and the vent on the fuel tank open.
What other things could it be? I have pulled the starting cord way too many times. HELP!
Jimholden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 09:37   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Tohatsu 9.8 won't start???

Are the spark plugs wet? If yes fuel is getting there. If no it's not, check the carburetor.

Are you getting a spark? If not you might have a problem with the power pack or it might be a simple thing like the plug lead is not on tight enough.

These are the first two simple tests.

I suspect it's a carburetor problem, it usually is with the fuel we get these days.
Old 30-09-2015, 09:40   #3

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I have that motor and sometimes if it doesn't start on the first pull or two using the normal settings (Choke on / Low Throttle), it will then go into limbo where even a lot of pulls don't start it. If that happens, I then go to (Choke off, half-throttle or more) and it starts right up.

I know it's a small chance of fixing your problem, but might be worth a try. . . .

Good luck.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 20:44   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Did it start before? What changed?

How long since it was last started?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 20:53   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

"virtually new" could be the clue here. Things can fail on new products occasionally. In fact they're more likely to fail when "virtually new" as compared to "not that old"

I'd confirm spark and then fuel. Spark by removing the plug and resting the plug against the frame and seeing if it sparks when the engine turns over, fuel by squirting a small amount of fuel, ether or even WD40 down the plug hole and seeing if it "kicks" when the plug is replaced. Troubleshoot further depending on the results.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:36   #6

I found my Tohatsu is sensitive to incoming fuel pressure; too much and it won't start. I squeeze the bulb only once or twice and stop before it becomes firm. Then it starts on the first or second pull. If the bulb is rock firm, no go.
T37-NewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:05   #7

WE have the same motor too. Actually, we love it! Ours is labeled "nissan", but it's the same motor.

If it's "almost new', just take it to a dealer for warranty work. I know as sailors, we pride ourselves on being self sufficient. But if you're stuck - ask the expert to help (for free)!!

On the other hand, sometimes that's not an option. Break it down to two things - - its' either fuel or spark.

First, it its easy to check for spark. Unscrew the spark plug, put the wire back on it. using a insulative glove (heavy leather, rubber, etc.). hold the spark plug so the end of it (near the gap) is against the motor frame. Have someone pull the starter rope. it should be EASY to see the spark jump across the gap.

Now you can either work on fuel system (likely culprit) or the ignition system (coil, wires, safety interlock switch, etc.).

Overall, these are very very good motors. They run excellently and just sip away at the gas. We love ours. Solve this problem and you will too, I think.
bratzcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:47   #8

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

You did buy it from a dealer right? If you bought it on the internet, then you got a good deal but...

If something is wrong with it to start, then you won't know until you get it out on the boat(or in your yard, preferable of course)

And, if you bought it internet, then good luck getting a dealer to service what they didn't sell....live and learn on that, been there done that. If its something critical and mechanical, I always pay the extra for a dealer, since they prep it beforehand, do the first 10 minute idle break in, etc.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:05   #9

Boat: Ericson sloop 27'

I recommend all the suggestions above. And I will add this:

Having the same, purchased new, and never having an issue, its about 4-5 years old and has never had ethanol ran in it and have used a fuel supplement as requested.

The seller of this motor absolutely refused to honor the warranty if you weren't diligent about purchasing, at point of sale and using a gas additive/supplement that would thwart the affects of ethanol.

My point? It appears the seller has first hand knowledge about the affects of ethanol, even if used once, without the additive/supplement (I hope this isn't the case). And knowing that using the additive/supplement wouldn't hurt and probably helps, because gasoline gets old relatively quick, as well.
pyroray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:42   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Make sure the vent is open on your fuel can.
Try different combinations of choke and throttle.

My guess...spider died in the carb. Thats what happened to me. Stupid spiders.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:20   #11

Have you got water in your fuel? Empty your tank completely into a container turning the motor upside down and drain your carb even if you have to remove it to do that. Then try fresh fuel. Rain water can get in through the tank vent.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:22   #12

I meant turning your tank upside down (above) to drain it.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 13:05   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

You make a point of saying that you have fresh, ethanol free, fuel. Did you have old fuel in there before? If so, I suspect it has fouled the carb jets. The best way to clear these is to take them out and blow them clear.
Old 01-10-2015, 14:44   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You make a point of saying that you have fresh, ethanol free, fuel. Did you have old fuel in there before? If so, I suspect it has fouled the carb jets. The best way to clear these is to take them out and blow them clear.
+1. The majority of small carbureted engine problems are caused by fouled channels/jets, but the OP has not returned to answer any questions...like when was the last time this "nearly new" motor was actually cranked and run?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 15:00   #15

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

I have the same motor, 5y old and love it.
It normally starts at 3rd pull when cold. 1st pull when warm.
Mine likes to have the priming bulb hard before a cold start.
If it doesn't start, then choke off and full trottle normally fixes that.

I do have a problem and wander if someone can help me:
It doesn't idle properly, tending to stop, but not always....
I had fuel from all countries in the world, so I suspect a dirty idle jet, but I have not been able to find it

Has any of you got a carburetor diagram and a way to clean the idle jet?
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote