Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2017, 10:03   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
To Sand or Not to Sand (Bilgekote)

I'm about to start painting more of our boat with Bilgekote so was checking the overcoat times and noticed that Interlux/AkzoNobel have change the instructions such that you need to sand between each coat (as confirmed by an e-mail to AkzoNobel):

http://www.yachtpaint.com/Literature...fo-usa-eng.pdf

http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMData...Y+20141215.pdf

In the past I have painted without sanding and it's been find (2 years later). What have you done? Any horror stories when you didn't sand? I'm tying to decide if I want to take the extra time to sand... or not.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 11:04   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: To Sand or Not to Sand (Bilgekote)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
I'm about to start painting more of our boat with Bilgekote so was checking the overcoat times and noticed that Interlux/AkzoNobel have change the instructions such that you need to sand between each coat (as confirmed by an e-mail to AkzoNobel):

http://www.yachtpaint.com/Literature...fo-usa-eng.pdf

http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMData...Y+20141215.pdf

In the past I have painted without sanding and it's been find (2 years later). What have you done? Any horror stories when you didn't sand? I'm tying to decide if I want to take the extra time to sand... or not.
The first document you linked states that there is no need to sand between coats if maximum dry time has not been exceeded.

When it comes to coatings I make a point of following manufacturer's instructions religiously. So much prep goes into it that having a coating fail due to not following instructions is a waste of one's time and money.

Or are you talking about initially sanding the surface you are going to paint, and not between coats? In most cases I clean with TSP or another strong cleaner, let dry, put a scratch on it with a coarse 3M pad (gets into texture better, less dust generated), wipe with alcohol and then apply the coating. Coarse 3M is roughly equivalent to 220 grit for putting tooth on.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 12:55   #3

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Sand in between coats. I second Suijin's advice on using the various grades of 3M scratch pads, especially if you're sanding an irregular surface, like roving or cloth in the bilge. Clean/de-grease before sanding!

Bilgekote is just a fairly cheap enamel, I don't think it contains any special compounds to eliminate the need for sanding as other products do.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 13:31   #4

I miss read that as " Stand or not to stand " ? I thot bloody hell CF has gone all political !!!
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 17:23   #5

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Suijin,

Thanks for the comment on "Coarse 3M is roughly equivalent to 220 grit" - good to know for those hard to get areas.

Looks like I'll sand (unless Cherod's politics get in the way ).
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 17:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

With epoxy paint, recoating before the prior coat isn't cured will create a bond. Any new coats on an unsanded surface of cured paint will eventually peal in my experience.
Sanding gives more surface for the paint to grip.
In the bilge, if the paint peals, it could clog a pump.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge