Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2010, 06:36   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
You have oil analysis indicating metal generation. You have an oil slick from the exhaust. You have a desire to learn diesel engine mechanics.

Repower requires lots of costs you haven't thought about in terms of mounting, exhaust routing, water routing, engine controls, engine control panels etc., etc.

I would ask myself some questions like:

1 - How long am I keeping this boat?
2 - What is the condition of the externals - alternator, water pump, exhaust system, water system etc.?
3 - What is my intended use of the boat? Long range cruising or getting on and off the dock.

Option 1 - On and off the dock use + shorter ownership horizon? Do nothing, maybe have the injectors cleaned for peace of mind and live with increasing metals and an oil slick. Couple more years use? If you overhaul it and sell within a couple of years you won't recoup the costs.

Option 2 - Heavy engine use + longer horizon + pretty good accessories - Overhaul it. You can research all the parts costs before you spend a dime. Tear it down and see if the internals warrant a rebuild. Use a local machine shop for the head, block and crank work. Cracked head, worn or cracked crank, shot water galleys in the block = Option 3.

Option 3 - Longer horizon + heavy use + crappy accessories + shot core = repower. Go with a modern engine and do lots and lots of homework on the installation. Don't forget mounts, exhaust, maybe rewiring, water inlet, engine controls, engine control panel etc...

If you do a significant amount of the work yourself Option 2 and 3 don't have to be as expensive as if you farm it all out.

In regards to unfinished projects. You definitely have to clear the decks, clear a clean effective workplace and have the money ready to see it through. Stalling on an engine overhaul and repower could leave you with an engineless boat, no money and no desire to finish or no way to go forward and no way to go back.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 07:16   #17

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Your not ready!

It starts easily, has good oil pressure, and I take it it doesn't smoke as you didn't say so.

One oil analysis doesn't tell you squat really...It gives you a starting bench mark for the next one is all it does...when was the oil changed last? you didn't say that..All diesels will contaminate and dilute the oil with diesel after to long of interval between changes...

Every single oil analyse we have had.. over 100 of them... has had metal in the oil..its a byproduct of internal combustion engine wear...it is a rise in the amount from the last one that tells you something.

Change the oil and put it in service as is for the season..reanalyze the oil mid way though and at the end of the season at equal intervals say 50 or 100 hours each...it will be those oil samples that tell you the complete story not the first one.

FWIW..Running a little transmission fluid through the fuel system is an excellent conditioner for both the injectors, top end and the injection pump...just spin off the fuel filter and pour about 1/2 its contents out replacing it with transmission fluid...it will smoke a little bit till it burns out but it will do your engine good after sitting for so long.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 16:06   #18

Thanks all for excellent advice, I'm still not positive what I will do, but greatly appreciate you guys for sharing your wisdom!
moonie5961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower