Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 17:55   #16

Boat: Roberts 58
Re: To Foam or Not To Foam

If you consider Aerogel for insulating, I am installing Spaceloft in my boat and it is a fantastic insulator for both sound and thermal. Mine is the 10mm thick Aerogel and I tried cutting it with a razor knife and scissors but both of those methods are difficult. I found that cutting it with metal snips was the way to go. It is relatively effortless to cut using those. As for the dust, it is very fine and talc like. It is hydrophobic and working with it with bare hands will make your hands feel dry. Soap and water get rid of the dust on your hands. It is best to remove any other dust with a vacuum cleaner. Use a respirator, not because it's dangerous, because it's not, but it is dust and can be as irritating as any other dust. I purchased some reflective foil and metal tape which I used to encapsulate the Aerogel inside the foil and tape the seams. I sprayed the aerogel with 3M spray adhesive and glued the foil to it on both sides. This works great and eliminates the dust problem. Currently I'm replacing the insulation on the bottoms of my deck plates above my engine room and generator room. You can find the spaceloft on eBay. I will be posting my project on YouTube. Good luck with your repairs.
bartonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 00:35   #17

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Have you thought of this? Sounds good and I intend to try it inside our steel hull if it is available in Aus.( I have no connection with these people)
Mascoat Marine Insulating Paint - Marine Thermal Insulation : Mascoat
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 00:57   #18

for your 'hockey pucks' (or any other material) try mcmaster-carr.com
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote