Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48   #1

Boat: Oceanis 411
Tk Oil

My Beneteau need a bit of oil on the wood - locker seats, transom deck, te rails etc
I've always used one of the 'marine grade' teak oils from a chandlery. But will 'general outdoor grade' teak oil from the local hardware suffice?
thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 20:08   #2

Boat: Franz Maas 37
Re: Tk Oil

I was using outdoor decking oil on my teak hatches, dorade boxes and strakes. I found they were quite okay. The only difference was that they do have some ferric oxide in them for UV protection, which does leave a slightly orange tinge. This 'tinge' also marks paint and gelcoat unless it is removed immediately after being spilled, splashed or otherwise comes into contact with non timber surfaces. I think in terms of durability, exterior decking oil is better than marine teak oil. It is much less expensive, but the orange thing may deter you.

I guess outdoor teak oil may also contain ferric oxide, but a quick look at the ingredients will tell you that. The only other thing I would be concerned about is if the non marine product contains any varnish. If it does, there is the problem of whether it needs to be removed or abraded prior to recoating.

I found that oils lasted about three months before needing a recoat. But, that boat was kept in Darwin, northern Australia, where the sub equatorial sun is relentless all year round.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 03:50   #3

Boat: Oceanis 411

hey thanks !
Old 15-10-2012, 18:03   #4

I am in the process of changing my outside teak from varnish to teak oil, in particular Cabot's Australian Timber Oil, which is sold as an outside only deck treatment. I sanded all varnish off and applied one coat (per Cabot's instructions). So far so good. The nice thing is that although the finish it may not last as long all you have to do is lightly hand sand and apply another coat when it starts to wear. Easy, easy, easy. Oh yeah I added a mildewcide and had it machine shaken at the store.

Australian Timber Oil — Hardwood Stain & Hardwood Oil | Cabot
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil