Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:21   #1

Tips To Build On

I won't go into my boat requirements again, but I'm going to have to build a scow to get what I want.

I'm trying to draw it out so that a designer or at least someone more knowledgable than I can get a set of plans so as to avoid deaths.

My statement of requirements needs to be made and I need to include the little amenities that will make my tub something I can live with a long time (probably my last boat....but who knows).

Gunkholing is the plan, self sufficient with some marina stays.

Waters will be primarily rivers and ICW but may go off shore a few miles or head to the Bahamas for seasonal cruising.

Any ideas as to what you'd like to have if you were starting from scratch with a 30' scow with a 12' open bow, aft cabin, less tha 8' beam, simple sail plan and primarily motored with a 25 hp or less out board, no diesel.

What would you build in keeping the boat as inexpensive as possible to operate, keep clean, free of mildew/mold and be safe?

Should a shower has an opening hatch to dry out?

Should you have a vent fan near or over the galley?

Computer fans used to keep air moving?

What heat would you go for?

Primarily looking along the lines of keeping good venting,keeping moisture out, plumbing issues that you you go
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:42   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Tips To Build On

Wow! You're asking a lot of questions that are pretty techinical. For the venting part, use as many opening ports as you can afford. A small hatch in the head/shower for ventilation is a good idea. If you want air to move through the boat keep enclosed cabinetry to a minimum and where it is required make certain you drill a lot of vent holes. Computer fans do work. A good quality small solar vent fan would help too. Just an opening port or small hatch above the galley is sufficient. A vent fan is not necessary. I like diesel heat because I have a diesel engine. You will probably want something that uses a fuel you have aboard or a wood/coal stove. IF you use propane for cooking you can also have a propane stove for heat.
Have you gone to the library and looked at all the designer's drawings?
Good luck.
kind regards,
Old 03-03-2012, 13:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Tips To Build On

For the loadings I've seen mentioned I'd be thinking that 8' beam is going to be very questionable. I'm thinking unstable.

There should be time proven designs out there that do what you want and have acceptable stability. If there are not then what you want is outside of the acceptable envelope.

I think that you're trying to do too many things with one boat.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote