Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2011, 12:50   #1

Boat: CS 36
Tips on Cleaning Kiwi Grip ?

If anyone used Kiwi grip anti skid on their boats, I would like to know the best way to clean it? I've re-coated all the antiskid on deck and in the cockpit with that stuff , it looked awesome after is was done and it's a really effective antiskid, but it's sure hard to clean. I tried cleaning the decks with simplegreen soap and a stiff floor brush, it doesn't clean that well.

Thanks

Daniel
Dangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 12:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Tips on cleaning Kiwi Grip?

Look forward to hearing the answer as I am thinking about the Kiwigrip myself. Nothing from the manufacturer, no instructions on the can or their web site?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 13:11   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Tips on Cleaning Kiwi Grip ?

I too am looking forward to hearing. I just bought a quart to try out but haven't put it down yet.

Rich

Edit: A factor might be how much texture did you roll in. I'm looking at minimal texture to match the existing deck. I also plan on using "cream" color. White is too bright around here.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 13:34   #4

I've applied it last year and here is my feedback; Little prep work required, I've applied it straight over my original antiskid, no sanding, only a good wash with denatured alcool. Very easy to apply, very good looking end results, procures a very secure feel on deck the antiskid propertie is excellent. No peeling or cracking or sign of deterioteration yet. A little rough on barefoot at first, but it did smooth out a little after the first few weeks and is ok after. I would do it again, but I would choose another color than white. I find it damn hard to clean. Especially the bird droppings!

Daniel
Old 13-05-2011, 14:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I too am looking forward to hearing. I just bought a quart to try out but haven't put it down yet.

Rich

Edit: A factor might be how much texture did you roll in. I'm looking at minimal texture to match the existing deck. I also plan on using "cream" color. White is too bright around here.
Rich
I found that it wasn't easy to control the texture. If you don't apply thick enough, the roller will leave see thru marks. I've tried applying more or less pressure on the roller, it seems to leave the same texture. As per the instruction video on their website, you actually apply the product with a paint brush, then you use the roller to give it it's texture. It came out with pretty even texture throughout.
BTW, I've just emailed them and they replied right away. The recomended that I add some bleach to the simple green soap and spray it on the deck and let it sit for half an hour then rinse it off. I'll try that this week end if it doesn't rain too much and let you know how it goes.
Old 13-05-2011, 15:22   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 33 NAKIA
Send a message via Yahoo to svnakia Send a message via Skype™ to svnakia

I don't have KiwiGrip, but I've got something very similar that I did using two part poly paint and fumed silica. It looks like KiwiGrip, though.

I find the only way to get it clean is to use lots of soap (simple green) and scrub, scrub, scrub! On your hands and knees if possible using a short, fine, nylon bristle scrub brush.

Some background; I did the boat in two stages; the cabin top first, then the side decks. When I did the cabin top I didn't go over and over the paint with the loop roller (like the KiwiGrip instructions tell you to). I just applied the paint using a notched trowel and went over it with a loop roller once or twice. The result was high spikes but a less-then-even finish. When I did the side decks I went back and forth over the paint until the finish was even. The thing is, now it's the side decks that hold onto dirt like mad. There seems to be many small cavities in the finish that the dirt can get stuck in. The top decks clean much more easily. So, this may be something to think about for those of you looking at KiwiGrip.

Here's a link to how my deck turned out, with a close-up of the finished texture.

http://svnakia.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html

John

Tags
cleaning